player auction?

How Does Mike Janis Get Away With Player Auctions? When They Are Illegal In The State Of Ohio As Stated By The Ohio Attorney Generals Office . And Also I Think That If It Was Not For The 10% That He Takes From The Auction He Would Not Even Run The Tournaments.

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
Duck, Mike! More crap is flying your way!

Mike should get paid for running the tourneys because he can't work for free... He has travel expenses and a family to feed.

With that said, I have never heard of anyone taking a slice of the calcutta money... That seems to be untouchable money... Now, the entry fees (and added money) are a different story... they can (and should) be used to cover expenses of the TD.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Player auction

Most TD's are paid from entry fees (so much per entry up to a number). Usually the only one getting money out of the auction money is the auctioneer for doing the auction, and it is usually $100-$200. Tournaments with up to 128 players, it might be more for auctioneers.

pokerhammer

Banned
Players auctions and calcuttas are illegal, but really, who do they hurt? They are meant as a way for the individuals or teams to engage in another wager. Ive participated in many of them, as player and buyer. It adds a lot to a golf tournament or pool tournament. Why in the world would authorities try to bust a calcutta or auctions when there are many worse crimes being committed all of the time?

Travis Bickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of people get off on them, but they must be the same people who line up to pay the Stupid Tax, i.e., the lottery. If you're not tight with the players involved, you're asking to get dumped. It's like a big cesspool in the middle of the room, tainting the tournament and everybody involved.:)

Last edited:

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I guess this is why pro baseball banned betting by the folks involved so long ago (and why Pete Rose got nailed, back in the day).

If there's a monetary incentive for a player *not* to win - over the monetary incentive to win - it makes you wonder. In that case the game isn't pool anymore, it's who can make the right maneuver at the right time.

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
I do not understand, do you think Mike is suppose to run the Viking Tour out of the goodness of his heart? It is his lively hood and he is very good at it. He also does the auction and it is not an easy task. Many top players would not play in a tournament if there was not an auction. It is a big part of the the money they make. To debate the legality of a sport where gambling is such a huge part of it makes no sense to me.
From small to big tournaments it is a part of the package and part of our sport good or bad, legal or not, it's not going to change. I have played in several of Mike's events and he really works hard, I would not want his job and I am sure no else would. He gets one of the biggest turn outs of any tourney I have seen and has worked hard to get industry sponsorships and keep entry fees low. It was only 30.00 to enter the 2500.00 added event last weekend and free for non pro women and juniors!
People post all kinds of stories on here about gambling and other not so legal activities, this is a POOL forum not a tea party?

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
ScottW said:
I guess this is why pro baseball banned betting by the folks involved so long ago (and why Pete Rose got nailed, back in the day).

If there's a monetary incentive for a player *not* to win - over the monetary incentive to win - it makes you wonder. In that case the game isn't pool anymore, it's who can make the right maneuver at the right time.

Yup...absolutely. Only deference is if Pete said he wouldn't ever dump I'd believe him. Wish I could say the same about many of the pro pool players, I can't.

Terry

MikeJanis

Banned
onepocketrocket said:
How Does Mike Janis Get Away With Player Auctions? When They Are Illegal In The State Of Ohio As Stated By The Ohio Attorney Generals Office . And Also I Think That If It Was Not For The 10% That He Takes From The Auction He Would Not Even Run The Tournaments.

Hey RocketChump, ignorance and jelousy/hatred seems to run rampant in your posts. Could you please quote the law from the ORC (that's Ohio Revised Code) that would make such things as specific as player auctions illegal?

In case you can't find that information (Which is no longer there) please research the Ohio Court of Appeals case law that overturned a conviction for such activities based on the current decription I use for player auctions. Your best bet for finding this information would be through OBAR.

Ps. I really enjoyed your post about killing someones action, NOT !

Mj

T

Timberly

DawgAndy said:
You know who that is don't you , Mike?
Lets see...one of the first posts he ever made was by knocking on someone's action...detailed info on new look, vehicle being used, & location they were headed. Then they came on here claiming to have reported MJ.... Please, do not spare this guy anything. Out with his name, in the open on the forum please. He doesn't deserve any privacy.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Hey RocketChump, ignorance and jelousy/hatred seems to run rampant in your posts. Could you please quote the law from the ORC (that's Ohio Revised Code) that would make such things as specific as player auctions illegal?

In case you can't find that information (Which is no longer there) please research the Ohio Court of Appeals case law that overturned a conviction for such activities based on the current decription I use for player auctions. Your best bet for finding this information would be through OBAR.

Ps. I really enjoyed your post about killing someones action, NOT !

Mj
I just read the whole thing I think you need a lawyer to advise you. It appears you could be charged with bookmaking at the least.

Last edited:

jwpretd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DawgAndy's Avatar Picture

Now that's *very* cool, DawgAndy. I hadn't thought about Konishiki in a long time. Don't think he plays pool, though. But if he did, can you imagine the break power? :)

lamar25

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuechick said:
I do not understand, do you think Mike is suppose to run the Viking Tour out of the goodness of his heart? It is his lively hood and he is very good at it. He also does the auction and it is not an easy task. Many top players would not play in a tournament if there was not an auction. It is a big part of the the money they make. To debate the legality of a sport where gambling is such a huge part of it makes no sense to me.
From small to big tournaments it is a part of the package and part of our sport good or bad, legal or not, it's not going to change. I have played in several of Mike's events and he really works hard, I would not want his job and I am sure no else would. He gets one of the biggest turn outs of any tourney I have seen and has worked hard to get industry sponsorships and keep entry fees low. It was only 30.00 to enter the 2500.00 added event last weekend and free for non pro women and juniors!
People post all kinds of stories on here about gambling and other not so legal activities, this is a POOL forum not a tea party?

And some people post Stupid Aviators!!!!
Lamar

ps: Thank you for your response.
It my belief AZB should put more restrictions on the aviators that members are using, Sorry Mike H., just my thoughts

Last edited:

thebestpoolroom

thepoolroom
Silver Member
cuechick said:

Amen!

I think that we all pretty much agree that Mike Janis does an awesome job running the Viking Tour and does a lot for the players and our sport. Let's praise the people who do good for pool and drop this nonsense.

John

lamar25

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebestpoolroom said:
Amen!

I think that we all pretty much agree that Mike Janis does an awesome job running the Viking Tour and does a lot for the players and our sport. Let's praise the people who do good for pool and drop this nonsense.

John

Hey John,
I also think Mike Janis does a great job running the VIKING TOUR EVENTS.
The Viking Tour Events are no. 1 in my book!!!!

"Have a nice day",
Lamar

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Mike Janis does a great job. He is one of the outstanding TD's in the USA.

It is common that performing auctionires take 10% of the calcutta cash....period.

Get over it, let's play pool......randyg

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why hasn't this thread been deleted, it was started by a creep that has been banned for being a creep. It's just a crap thread with no meaning to anyone other then the creep that started it. Did I mention the guy was a creep?
have a perfect day
mrs.g

lamar25

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
onepocketrocket said:

Do you work for FREE?

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
I have never heard anything bad about MJ and the Viking Tour.

Now I have no clue what the other states have laws about doing Auctions or Calcutta's.

In Michigan i know any Bar or place that sells beer or liquor can not legally do a Calcutta.

I am sure people remember The Garage in Jackson,MI being Fined and not being able to sell any beer or liquor for 1month cuz they were busted doing a Calcutta during a Tournament ( dont remember what one) but it did happen.

dave