View Single Post
Old
  (#15)
slide13
AzB Silver Member
slide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond reputeslide13 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-24-2016, 11:18 AM

I've sort of been in a similar position to this. Last year I ordered my idea of the perfect cue. About 9 months later it arrived and it was everything I hoped it would be, it was absolute perfection! So perfect that I worried about it a little too much and after shooting with it for a couple weeks I stopped taking it to league and started playing with a less expensive cue I had. Then I bought a different less expensive cue and I liked it a lot, a great shooter. But I was never really happy or content and had a wandering eye, looking at all sorts of cues.

Finally I made myself really think about things. Did I need my really nice custom ordered cue? No. But did I want to give the cue up, absolutely not! Like I said, it was the realization of my idea of the perfect cue, I had no desire to ever get rid of it so I knew I wanted to keep it. So then I made myself think about what I wanted it to be like in 10 years. Did I want to keep that perfect cue perfect, stored in a case most of the time so it was still nice and shiny and only take it out occasionally to play with it, or did I want to use the crap out of it. Let it get some battle scars if necessary. I always take good care of my things but things happen when you use them a lot. When it came down to it that way I'd much rather have a cue with some nicks and dings in it that I had spent the last 10 years using than a pristine cue in a case or even than the money back in my pocket.

So with that, I put my perfect custom ordered cue back in play as my every day cue, and sold or am in the process of selling everything else but my jump/break cue. Since doing that I've never been happier with a cue, never enjoyed playing with one more, and never have I looked at new cues less. I honestly don't even really think about getting a new cue anymore.

Now, maybe this isn't how you feel about your cue, in which case you could sell it and keep playing your Schmelke. But try to think about if you'd be happy long term with that or if you'd keep looking at other cues knowing that the Schmelke, while certainly a good enough cue, isn't quite the cue of your dreams.

Just my story and my thoughts on the subject.

Edited to add:

This is the thread that convinced me that years from now I'd rather have a well played cue that I used the crap out of then a closet queen. The cue in this thread has played a whole lot of matches but it's all the more beautiful for it, in my oppinion!
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=419477

Last edited by slide13; 03-24-2016 at 11:20 AM.