Rip to San Jose Dick

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So long to my friend Richard Mc Morran​ . I appreciate the time I got to spend with you and regret not spending more time with you more recently. Our little road trips to Tucson, Laughlin and Las Vegas where the time would fly by filled with your stories. You were truly one of a kind and hell of a player. At one time arguably one of the best one pocket players in the country. I admired the man you were who gave it to people straight, left the pool world to work a regular job and raise a family. Your advice you gave me on and off the pool table and about life in general I will forever appreciate. I will be bringing you a bottle of Yukon Jack my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6hXkm2a4IY

Sorry to hear this news Lenny. Dick was a good guy, willing to share his knowledge.
He will be missed........

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I wish I had met San Jose Dick....heard a lot about him when I was a kid.
...I knew a lot of people that he knew....and he had a great rep as a player.
Dick was going to start on me like CJ....and I cut it short...
....I really wish I hadn’t....he was at his most entertaining when he got the bit between his teeth...he would have been great to make a game with....I probably would’ve been
laughing as I went broke.

Dick was born in Canada....about 60 miles from my birth place...but his birth wasn’t
registered till his parents got to Detroit.
....but that still gave him dual citizenship....so I mourn the loss of a fellow Canuck.

God bless you,Richard...and rest in peace

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
RIP to San Jose Dick

I really hate hearing this. Dick was a true person. Said what he thought. A good guy and pretty strong player. Thank you to Lenny for being such a good friend to Dick. And for the videos you made.

Just a shame — the old timers just keep on leaving us.

My thoughts are with his family and friends......

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP Dick, Listened to the interview . There was an old road horse right there, and a library of pool info that he had gleaned from his time's. . His talking of scuffling around the gulf states brought back a lot of time's also

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear it. His last post here was nearly 11 months ago, and I had wondered a few times how he was doing. He certainly added some interest and humor to these environs. Condolences to those who were close to him.

bstroud

Deceased
Sad to see another of the players I grew up with die.

Starting to feel like the Lone Ranger.

Dick and I only took one road trip together but he was real fun to be with.

Smart and direct.

I always liked him a lot.

I will miss him and I am sure many others will also.

Bill S.

Dave714

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this news. I only knew him from the forum.Quite the personality and never saw a mistake once in all his writing on the forum. Pretty sharp guy. R.I.P.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DAMN Dick!! RIP my friend. Dick said what he meant and meant what he said, which didn't endear him to everyone. But it sure did to a lot of us! Scathing wit and was funny as well. Dick, you'll be missed by many!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what I liked most about Dick?

He was unfiltered, a straight shooter, and quite erudite -- he told it to you without a chaser and was unafraid to call out many of the prima donnas in the pool world. In his day, San Jose Dick was a fearsome 1pocket money player and is reputed to have loved action so much he would, on occasion, play two matches simultaneously on adjoining tables.

I had a chance to spend a little time with him during the US One Pocket Open in Vegas in 2011. He was more than fun to be around and drink with and in subsequent years we exchanged PMs about this and that. And when a big match for me came along, San Jose Dick sent me numerous messages of encouragement. His faith in me and his kind words are something I'll always remember and treasure and thinking of some of the stuff he wrote me makes me smile as I write this.

From what I know, the deep tragedy that affected Dick most was the loss of his beloved wife and it haunted him every day from the moment she died, far too young. Now he's with her and I have no doubt they have found happiness again.

RIP, SJD.

Lou Figueroa

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your loss Lenny. I’m sure he cherished your
Friendship as much as you his. Condolences to all his
Family and friends.

Td

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Rest in Peace, my friend.

You walked the walk and talked the talk, and the world is a lesser place without you in it.

You will be missed.

We've got the watch....

-von

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice you have footage Lenny and I'm sorry you lost such a good friend. I had seen this footage before but skimmed through again. SJD was a classic and Lou is spot on about saying what was on his mind. When I first joined here I remember him in some fierce forum battles.

Forgot his story about 'Bucktooth' story and the 'Golden' Cue' in Hayward. Used to drive by on Mission Blvd. with all the time with my Parents when I was young as I grew up in Hayward.

Closed before I ever got the chance to go inside. Believe the building is still there divided into several smaller business.

My sincere condolences to all his many friends, family and loved ones.

-Kat,

Kiwis11

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
San Jose Dick...was one of my favorite players to watch play 1Pocket. I especially enjoyed watching him torch the young guns who thought shooting straight was the only requirement to playing great pool.

RIP...See you on the other side.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Thanks for the link, Lenny.

My condolences to you, and to Dick's family and friends..... Rest in Peace.

Alf Taylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How very sad

For what it's worth, to those of you who didn't know Dick, he, not oly was a first class player, he was an even better human being. I met him first in the 60s, at the Cotton Palace in Dallas. Man, could he play one pocket. The way he moved around the balls with his three inch, open handed bridge was uncanny.. I was just a kid at the time so he gave me 9 to 6.for 50. a game.I quit him 6 games winner and left without a word. The next night when he saw me he asked, :Why did you quit me you little chicken shit?" I told him my wife had a baby and I needed the money to get them out of the hospital. Without the least hesitation he said, : Hell buddy, You should have told me. I'd have given you the money for that." And, he would have.
Our local champion was U.J. Puckett, a good player and animal hustler. Well, SJD tortured him. There was a pole obstructing one area of the table.and Dick stuck Puckett up against it until Puckett raged. The outcome of the game was obvious.
After many years of both of us leaving the racket, Dick and I re-connected. He had retired from UPS and was living in Phoenix, where he suffered from a stroke. A few years back we drove to a tournament in Vegas where he got to see many of his old friends.I regret not spending more time with him. He was a easy going gentleman. I will surely miss him. Rest in peace, you nice man. Alf

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member
I think he came to visit you when our booths were next to each other at the BCA a new years ago, Good hearing from you. Hope all is well.

bstroud

Deceased
For what it's worth, to those of you who didn't know Dick, he, not oly was a first class player, he was an even better human being. I met him first in the 60s, at the Cotton Palace in Dallas. Man, could he play one pocket. The way he moved around the balls with his three inch, open handed bridge was uncanny.. I was just a kid at the time so he gave me 9 to 6.for 50. a game.I quit him 6 games winner and left without a word. The next night when he saw me he asked, :Why did you quit me you little chicken shit?" I told him my wife had a baby and I needed the money to get them out of the hospital. Without the least hesitation he said, : Hell buddy, You should have told me. I'd have given you the money for that." And, he would have.
Our local champion was U.J. Puckett, a good player and animal hustler. Well, SJD tortured him. There was a pole obstructing one area of the table.and Dick stuck Puckett up against it until Puckett raged. The outcome of the game was obvious.
After many years of both of us leaving the racket, Dick and I re-connected. He had retired from UPS and was living in Phoenix, where he suffered from a stroke. A few years back we drove to a tournament in Vegas where he got to see many of his old friends.I regret not spending more time with him. He was a easy going gentleman. I will surely miss him. Rest in peace, you nice man. Alf

Alf,

Pic from the event.

Bill S.

Attachments

• alf,shd.jpg
    alf,shd.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 306