Votes: 46 50.0%
  • Tournament

Votes: 46 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the years since my participation on AzBilliards, I have ascertained two distinct schools of thought as it pertains to pool.

There are some who enjoy watching the high-profile competitions, world-class championships, with tournament soldiers giving it their all on a field of green. Mum pool is the norm, and the competitors let their sticks do the talking for them.

On the other side of the coin, the action players betting it as high as the Georgia pine seems to generate a lot of interest, and the best part of the match-up is the barking that takes place beforehand, attracting the attention from all those in attendance.

Movies like "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money" seem to accentuate the action side of pool, and associated with their release dates, pool enjoyed a boom in popularity, so they say.

Me personally, I do enjoy tournaments, when you can cut the air with a knife. You can actually hear a pin drop sometimes, the tension is so thick. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat is showcased in its truest form, and of course, for the victor, having that championship title of first place means more than the money payouts in some cases.

So I have created yet another pool poll in an effort to see what the climate is today in the pool world. This is a blind poll. So all you lurkers out there, please feel free to cast your vote. :wink:

If you had your choice of two pool happenings to watch, which would it be, the finals of a tournament or an action match for high stakes?

Last edited:

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking about this a little more, I think you may want to add another choice: the Mosconi Cup. This is more exciting than action matches.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd rather watch the finals of a major tournament rather than two players gambling.

Gambling is for money and you can see that any day of the week.

Major tournaments are for money and prestige and only come around so often.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I enjoy watching both tournaments and action, I have to give my vote to the tournaments.

Too often, when you go to the pool room to see an action match, all you get to see is a lot of barking and the match never happens. At least in tournament pool, you know you will get to see some good pool.

Every once in a while at a tournament, you get to see something special, and "you can take that to the internet". :thumbup:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinking about this a little more, I think you may want to add another choice: the Mosconi Cup. This is more exciting than action matches.

The Mosconi Cup, though it generates excitement in the crowds, especially the foot-stomping, airhorn-blowing Europeans, it is a once-a-year pool happening.

Rather, I was trying to gain a little insight into where pool stands today.

The Derby City Classic is known for its action games, but they also have the All-Around Prize for the tournaments. Then there's the lifetime Louie Roberts A&E Award for the player who generated the most ACTION and ENTERTAINMENT a la Louie Roberts style. :wink:

As far as tournaments go, I have witnessed some EXCELLENT finals matches. I saw Ginky over Allen Hopkins at Snooker's in Providence one year, and it was about as fine a pool you could have witnessed. Allen wasn't missing anything, and neither was Ginky. It was pool at its finest, and I was thrilled to be there and watch it unfold.

In recent times, especially on this forum, there seems to be a lot of conversation(s) about gambling. Though I do enjoy the threads, I also am tiring of the incessant railbird forum barking.

As far as tournaments go, I really, really, really like seeing them up front and close, but when they appear on TV, I'm inclined to switch the channel because I get bored. I am beginning to understand why ESPN shortens the matches and cuts out some of the content. That is sad, coming from me, a pool enthusiast, but it's the truth.

Whoever said pool was not a viewing sport hit the nail on the head. Whether it's action or tournaments, being there in person is so, so, so much better! :)

Last edited:

tigerseye

Kenny Wilson
Silver Member
As a player a tourney win is more satisfying because instead of beating 1-opponent you have beaten several opponents....
The King of the Hill, so to speak...lol...

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Gambling vs Tournaments

On the viewing end I like tournaments because you can pick the matches you want to see and if they suck you can move on to another match. I watched a gambling match for 3 hours early one morning and by the time it was over I'd rather have slept through it. It was $100 a game 9 ball in 1976 between a player and a wannabe with the wannabe losing at least 3 grand. By the 7th game it was obvious he couldn't win, but he wouldn't quit until he was broke. It was like a train wreck and painful to watch. To add to the fun, while I watching the action someone was robbing my apartment....

wolfcookie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game

I thought you were asking what you would rather play, not watch..I would rather play a race to 7 far a couple c notes then play in a 32 man turny. But If I was going to watch I agree Mosconi cup..:)

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
top levels of play both are GREAT....below that, I'd much rather watch or play tourneys. Too many "moves" going on in lower level action (to get or lessen spots) to see all out play. Sure, some use bad tourney play just to set up action later, but for the most part the tourney play is usually played ALL OUT....and that's what I want (to get from an opponent, or see as a spectator).

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go to tournaments to see/sweat/rail the action.

JAM, kudos for the bald Fedor pic too!!!

You know Fedor? He's the baddest man on the planet, so they say.

I had a job recently to transcribe some MMA matches. Geezy peezy, I had no idea! :eek:

I learned a lot of new moves: hammer strike, naked back, rodeo mount, the tap, upkick, et cetera. :grin-square:

Fedor's brother Alexander took on another fighter, and apparently, Fedor's brother is one tough cookie himself! :wink:

After getting to know Fedor and what he's all about, I kind of like the Red Devil! :)

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Fedor's a bad motherf@$@#$. He effectively is unbeaten except one sambo match and one bs technicality.

I just watched a really cute (yes, I used that word) exhibition. They put Fedor (the heavyweight sambo champion) against Aoki (the lightweight champion). Obviously this is not a very fair match even if fedor isn't the best fighter in the world (but he is). Lots of grins and clowning around, but also some slams that make you wince =)

But anyway, on the subject, I think tournaments are where it's at. I am a sissy about gambling and I feel kinda bad for the loser. I don't think "wow, 40,000 bucks richer, he can take the year off"... I think "ouch, man, that dude just dropped 40k. That's a huge hit. That really sucks to be him." ...I think this way even if someone has backers and he didn't really lose anything.

I guess that sounds like I think gambling has the bigger risk and therefore should have more tension etc... but tournaments are cooler because it's a different kind of nerves and you're playing for your reputation (or your team's) and not for your wallet. And you have to usually beat several champs, not just one, and it's usually a quicker race, not some brutal slow grind.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedor's a bad motherf@$@#$. He effectively is unbeaten except one sambo match and one bs technicality.

I just watched a really cute (yes, I used that word) exhibition. They put Fedor (the heavyweight sambo champion) against Aoki (the lightweight champion). Obviously this is not a very fair match even if fedor isn't the best fighter in the world (but he is). Lots of grins and clowning around, but also some slams that make you wince =)

I think that's the job I provided the closed-captioning for, the M-1 Challenge! Fedor vs. Aoki, as depicted below. I think Fedor is -- how do they say it? -- HAWT! :eek:

CreeDo said:
But anyway, on the subject, I think tournaments are where it's at. I am a sissy about gambling and I feel kinda bad for the loser. I don't think "wow, 40,000 bucks richer, he can take the year off"... I think "ouch, man, that dude just dropped 40k. That's a huge hit. That really sucks to be him." ...I think this way even if someone has backers and he didn't really lose anything.

I guess that sounds like I think gambling has the bigger risk and therefore should have more tension etc... but tournaments are cooler because it's a different kind of nerves and you're playing for your reputation (or your team's) and not for your wallet. And you have to usually beat several champs, not just one, and it's usually a quicker race, not some brutal slow grind.

The thing with me and pool, I can sweat an action match all night long, and the hours go by like minutes. I have no concept of time.

Tournaments, on the other hand, unless the players display excellent skills and game strategies, I can become bored with sitting there for even one hour.

Attachments

• 21ll5ph[1].jpg
    21ll5ph[1].jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
You know Fedor? He's the baddest man on the planet, so they say.

I had a job recently to transcribe some MMA matches. Geezy peezy, I had no idea! :eek:

I learned a lot of new moves: hammer strike, naked back, rodeo mount, the tap, upkick, et cetera. :grin-square:

Fedor's brother Alexander took on another fighter, and apparently, Fedor's brother is one tough cookie himself! :wink:

After getting to know Fedor and what he's all about, I kind of like the Red Devil! :)

His brother <if Im right> hassa giant backpiece of the grim reaper holding a baby...gotta be a bad man to roll like that!!

Fedor's training ethic is why I like him most, very old school using things like a sledge hammer and a truck tire to strengthen his body...unlike most of the new methods like running with a parachute <eyeroll>. His quiet demeanor is the other thing, its the quiet ones you MUST watch! He reminds me of another russian athlete, Alexander Karelin known as "The Experiment" of Olympic wrestling fame...simply deadly.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His brother <if Im right> hassa giant backpiece of the grim reaper holding a baby...gotta be a bad man to roll like that!!

Fedor's training ethic is why I like him most, very old school using things like a sledge hammer and a truck tire to strengthen his body...unlike most of the new methods like running with a parachute <eyeroll>. His quiet demeanor is the other thing, its the quiet ones you MUST watch! He reminds me of another russian athlete, Alexander Karelin known as "The Experiment" of Olympic wrestling fame...simply deadly.

Well, I'm definitely a new fan of Fedor. There's just something about him! :eek:

In Fedor We Trust! :wink:

Attachments

• fedor9[1].jpg
    fedor9[1].jpg
    45 KB · Views: 162

mouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant hardly play our weekly tourn if there is any kind of action to play. As for watching, I cant stand the tourn thing to watch but would drive to the moon to watch action. The woofing I dont care for but thats pool I guess. I like where you headed with this Jam.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Over the years since my participation on AzBilliards, I have ascertained two distinct schools of thought as it pertains to pool.

There are some who enjoy watching the high-profile competitions, world-class championships, with tournament soldiers giving it their all on a field of green. Mum pool is the norm, and the competitors let their sticks do the talking for them.

On the other side of the coin, the action players betting it as high as the Georgia pine seems to generate a lot of interest, and the best part of the match-up is the barking that takes place beforehand, attracting the attention from all those in attendance.

Movies like "The Hustler" and "The Color of Money" seem to accentuate the action side of pool, and associated with their release dates, pool enjoyed a boom in popularity, so they say.

Me personally, I do enjoy tournaments, when you can cut the air with a knife. You can actually hear a pin drop sometimes, the tension is so thick. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat is showcased in its truest form, and of course, for the victor, having that championship title of first place means more than the money payouts in some cases.

So I have created yet another pool poll in an effort to see what the climate is today in the pool world. This is a blind poll. So all you lurkers out there, please feel free to cast your vote. :wink:

If you had your choice of two pool happenings to watch, which would it be, the finals of a tournament or an action match for high stakes?

This is like asking a Cajun which he likes best, boiled crawfish or boiled shrimp. It just isn't fair. You've gone over the line JAM. I cannot support this poll. :D

OK, I will answer anyway. :wink:

First, I could not give up either of them and will not.

Secondly and reluctantly I prefer tournaments only because it gives me the opportunity to see more variety and styles of play which is what I enjoy the most. I've always liked variety in everything that I have experienced in my life, whether it be food, drink, work, culture, education and especially people. There is nothing like going to a tournament and sweating the variety and style of international talent. I regret missing this year's Predator International Ten Ball Championship.

With high stake matches it is two warriors competing for the all-mighty dollar and there is nothing in the world like being on the one yard line of two pool athletes playing for the cheese. An all or nothing match only heightens the excitement.

That being said, I would love to see all high stake matches to make a change to include a gift of 10% of the match stake to the fallen warrior.

JoeyA

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know

. . . That being said, I would love to see all high stake matches to make a change to include a gift of 10% of the match stake to the fallen warrior.

JoeyA

Joey,

When it is a sporting event I agree that a guaranteed walking stick would be nice. Ten percent of what each person bet is reasonable, not sure if that is what you meant. Ten percent of the match stake is a bit much, you are kicking him 1/5th of his money back.

On the other hand when it is a grudge match there is nothing like leaving the other guy busted and disgusted! :grin:

Hu