I'm not good enough for this cue!

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever bump into someone and ask them where their good cue is, and have them tell you their game isn't good enough for it? That they won't play with it until they are playing their best?

I mean, who wants to show up with an expensive custom, just to get smoked all over the pool table?

Should someone feel embarrassed to play poorly, even though they have the finest cue in the pool hall?

bigpocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:
Ever bump into someone and ask them where their good cue is, and have them tell you their game isn't good enough for it? That they won't play with it until they are playing their best?

I mean, who wants to show up with an expensive custom, just to get smoked all over the pool table?

Should someone feel embarrassed to play poorly, even though they have the finest cue in the pool hall?

LOL Greg it ok to shoot with your samsara.Just treat her good when your doing all that racking.;) ;)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:

Whenever someone tells me they're too good for their cue, I tell them I'd be happy to fix that problem for them. Just give it to me.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigpocket said:
LOL Greg it ok to shoot with your samsara.Just treat her good when your doing all that racking.;) ;)

Wait, that's not what I meant!:rolleyes:

I was talking about a friend who had this problem.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play within yourself!

Hey Gregg,

Tell your friend that you can't play pool with the mindset of worrying about what other people are thinking. What your game is at any given point is simply what your game is. If you can narrow your focus down to what's going on at the table, to making the best choices, and to executing your shots with committment and relaxed concentration, you will be far ahead of the game.

The only thing that I can see about wanting to improve before using a particular stick is that it can provide a motivational goal. You can set some concrete achievable goal, such as running x amount of racks in eight ball or nine ball, or achieving a particular rating in your league. The promise of playing with a great cue as a reward could certainly induce you to put in the extra hours or to do the drills that you could never quite get around to doing regularly (you know what I mean!) Good luck! To your friend I mean.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VIProfessor said:
Hey bro,

You can't play pool with the mindset of worrying about what other people are thinking. What your game is at any given point is simply what your game is. If you can narrow your focus down to what's going on at the table, to making the best choices, and to executing your shots with committment and relaxed concentration, you will be far ahead of the game.

The only thing that I can see about wanting to improve before using a particular stick is that it can provide a motivational goal. You can set some concrete achievable goal, such as running x amount of racks in eight ball or nine ball, or achieving a particular rating in your league. The promise of playing with a great cue as a reward could certainly induce you to put in the extra hours or to do the drills that you could never quite get around to doing regularly (you know what I mean!) Good luck!

Um, thanks for the advice. Can I have your cue now?

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
I don't know about good enough

But I do feel ............I'm too sexy for my cue. Too sexy for my cue.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BazookaJoe said:
I don't know about good enough

But I do feel ............I'm too sexy for my cue. Too sexy for my cue.

I'm a poolplayer, you know what I mean and I do my little turn for the railbirds. For the railbirds, for the railbirds, yeah I do my little turn for the railbirds.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoops!

Jude Rosenstock said:
Um, thanks for the advice. Can I have your cue now?

As you can see from the edited version of the post, I responded to the wrong post initially. I wouldn't presume to give you such unsolicited advice given that you are obviously a highly skilled player. Sorry about the error--Dang! that's the second time that's happened with you.

Peace,
VIProfessor

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
I always have my Wal-mart Titanium cue with me during the week, so when I show up on the weekend with my Adams or my Palmer, everyone says.........Where's your cue? ya know the nice looking one:confused:

I think to myself....what the Hell:mad: ..everyone Loves that damn Wal-Mart Cue.:D

I'ts nothing special, a light grey color, veltex grip, SS joint.:confused:

The reason I play with it so much is, I keep it in the Car (car cue) so I have a decent cue I am used to for shooting at lunch time and or after work.

Who ever thought a 30 Dollar Wally World special would get so much attn.

Makes no sense.

But back to the original Post: Yes I can see where he is coming from when he says that. As I have said and done that in the past years ago.:)

I'm older and wiser now, tell him to get over it, take it and shoot with it as much as he can.:)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VIProfessor said:
As you can see from the edited version of the post, I responded to the wrong post initially. I wouldn't presume to give you such unsolicited advice given that you are obviously a highly skilled player. Sorry about the error--Dang! that's the second time that's happened with you.

Peace,
VIProfessor

Thanks for the clearing that up. Can I have your cue?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a serious note, thanks for the advice. I have many problems, but concern about what someone thinks about my game/my cue is not one of them.

I just thought it would be fun to bring up.

Belive me you I rather be a bad shooter with a good cue than a bad shooter with a bad cue.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Hell, if the cost of your cue had to reflect your playing ability I'd be playing with a $30 Dufferin and not a Skip Weston/Edwin Reyes/Jim White costing much more!

It's kind of like what I saw someone else say on here a while back. At least I can lay the cue on the table for everyone to look at while I'm racking!

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
Gregg said:

He only give up his nice custom cue when 90% of Lexus and Mecedes owners switch over to driving Ford Pintos and Chevy Chevettes. :D

Yeah, I say he should try not to care. He owns the cue for himself not for other people to approve of it. If anyone has anything bad to say about him using that cue, it only shows that they are jealous and trying to find an excuse to put him down to make themselves feel better.

If he likes pool and pool cues enough to buy that cue, that's all that matters. He bought it so he might as well either use it, sell it, or put it in a display case to use as a nice piece of artwork. Putting in the closet until he "gets better" seems like such a waste, IMO.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
I have some pretty nice cues in my collection. I am in the bottom 10% of players on this board I bet. I like nice cues because of being a jeweler I appreciate the workmanship and quality of materials. I have players make little snide comments all the time. I just shake it off. They are mad my cues are nicer than theirs. I tell them if they ever get good enough to win some money at pool they can afford a nice cue too! I tell them to keep working on their game and they can have a cue that costs more than $100....someday.

(This always gets them pi**ed off since they gamble everyday...lol)

Yes, working in a pool hall 60 hrs a weeks gives you a strange sense of humor.

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
He could always sell the cue and have a nice 50 point inlayed rack made, then use the rest of the $ for a case of kleenex to wipe his eyes with :)

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
if someone tells me my game is not good enough for my cue, i use one of two responses

1: (Ali G voice) "is you a bit jealous"

2: "hate on M##### #####R"

jake

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruthless said:
He could always sell the cue and have a nice 50 point inlayed rack made, then use the rest of the $ for a case of kleenex to wipe his eyes with :)

That brings up an interesting point! Should losing players who happen to be great pool enthusiasts carry custom-made racks? I mean, where is their time spent? Which are they going to handle more?

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
This post brings up some memories.

It used to amaze me when I was out on the road and would walk into a pool room only to have guys run up and say, " You wanna play some 9 ball, cheap?"

I'd say sure and head off to their favorite table. When I would open my case up and pull out my Schon or Joss West, they'd go bug eyed and start back peddling by saying, "We can't play cuz if you got cues like that, you gotta play great!"

After about the tenth time that happened, I started carrying a $60 sneaky pete with me. Never had that problem again.

I made ten times the money with that sneaky pete over the years than any other cue I ever owned.

Still amazes me that some guys equate playing ability to how expensive your cue is!