Tom Hay's layered cuetips

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Recently someone advised me to use them on a WD 700 shaft, and now I'm a bit cuirous ...

So I just want to ask for some experience with which other types / brands Tom's UltraSkin Layered cuetips can be compared if it goes about hardness and playability, how constant they play over the time, holding chalk ... . Best would be those comparisons that are made on same shaft.

- soft
- medium

Thanks

obrien714

Pool Video Addict
Silver Member
My review

Im playing with a soft. Been using it 2 weeks now. The tip is a little harder than the kamui soft i had before. This tip holds its shape. I break with my playing cue and this tip holds the dime shape extremely well. Chalk stays on and i haven miscued during serious play. When im goofing around with extreeme english shots i get an occasional miscue. My fault or the tips. Not really sure.

For the price. U cant go wrong buying this tip. High quality for a bargain price.

The other thing im getting used to is the height of this tip. They are high. The first few days it took me to get usesd to how much tip was on the end of my cue.But niw i dont notice it. Im betting if ur not a tip grinder this tip will last a long time.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best tip on the market ,bar none.Playability is great,doesn't glaze
over,holds it shape and is priced way beyond to low for such a
quality tip.To top it off ,Tom is a nice guy who ships fast.
From the beginning to the end is a win -win with these tips.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Im playing with a soft. Been using it 2 weeks now. The tip is a little harder than the kamui soft i had before. This tip holds its shape. I break with my playing cue and this tip holds the dime shape extremely well. Chalk stays on and i haven miscued during serious play. When im goofing around with extreeme english shots i get an occasional miscue. My fault or the tips. Not really sure.

For the price. U cant go wrong buying this tip. High quality for a bargain price.

The other thing im getting used to is the height of this tip. They are high. The first few days it took me to get usesd to how much tip was on the end of my cue.But niw i dont notice it. Im betting if ur not a tip grinder this tip will last a long time.

You mean the Kamui brown soft? Or the black soft?

tom-o

Registered
review

Im playing with a hard, i was playing for years with old champion tips and so far no problems with about 20 hours of play on it. Tom has an excellent special for AZ members,you can mix all different hardness an find what works for you.

TheThaiger

Banned
I like how these tips look. Very classy. In terms of play, the medium is harder than I expected, but I like harder rather than softer anyway. The hit is nice and firm, no mushiness, which I detest. The hit is very much like a Kamui Black medium. I don't think many will be able to tell the difference, although I can draw easier/further with a Kamui. Few miscues, no mushrooming, will last a long time.

Just to add, I managed to get a load of glue over the sides of the tip when I was installing it. This could well have changed how it performs, making it harder and less easy to draw etc. I don't know if it works like that or not.

Overall, very impressed with these tips.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you go to his website, and at the top click on FAQ, about half way down there is a section about durometer testing that might be helpful. I have tried the medium and hard on two different shafts, and I like the hard better (just personal preference).

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problem with people asking which product they should use (tips, shafts, cues, etc.). That's what this whole forum site is for - asking questions and exchanging information.

However, it all breaks down to one very important fact: Just like snowflakes, no two pool players are exactly the same. What I like, you might not. No matter how many people tell you to use a Brand A shaft, on a Brand B cue, with a Brand C tip, using Brand D chalk, it won't truly make a bit of difference to you until you try all those things yourself. It's the same as asking which restaurant to go to, what kind of car to drive, and whether to buy a house or rent an apartment. Everyone's opinions are different.

So, instead of answering your question directly, I highly suggest you try as many different products as you can. Ask friends if you can try their cue/shaft/tip. See what feels good to you.

(Please note that I am NOT saying anything negative about Tom's Ultraskin Layered tips. On the contrary, I've read pretty much nothing but positive reviews about them here on AZ, and have been meaning to buy some myself.)

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I like how these tips look. Very classy. In terms of play, the medium is harder than I expected, but I like harder rather than softer anyway. The hit is nice and firm, no mushiness, which I detest. The hit is very much like a Kamui Black medium. I don't think many will be able to tell the difference, although I can draw easier/further with a Kamui. Few miscues, no mushrooming, will last a long time.

Just to add, I managed to get a load of glue over the sides of the tip when I was installing it. This could well have changed how it performs, making it harder and less easy to draw etc. I don't know if it works like that or not.

Overall, very impressed with these tips.

The glue on the sides may have hve changed the hit a little.
We put super glue on the sides on purpose and I didn't like it.
I think you will find that the UltraSkin medium is softer than a Kamui medium.
I'm not a big Kamui fan, but here in Denver a ton of people use them.
These UlatraSkins are terrific tips, Tom did it right in my opinion.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Asking here about tipps can help me, but without warranty of course. Sharing experiences is also helpful to stay as cool and objective as possible, knowing that each person has its own preferences. Before I make a blind test I try to set me an aim: what am I expecting from the test, which tipps do I compare. But at the end I have to do the test to know finally of course, but I'm gonna take my time to prepare the test and meanwhile communicate a bit to know when the right moment has come.

Testing each tipp or shaft that I can get under my fingers is interesting from the one side, but from the other side each new change of system throws you back in your performance in first days or weeks of testing. I had too many steps back 'cause of blind testing and hoping for the one best material. So please excuse if I do a little more conscious now ..

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Hi,

I've tried today Tom's soft. On my 12 mm shaft, that is not so stiff, but not too flexible, it plays soft enough. As soft as I would persume to be the right one for my WD700. And a very very nice feeling. Not a spin explosion, very good to control.

I think, we could be friends ;-)

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
I tried another 2 of Tom's tipps.

- on my former 12,2 mm playing shaft the medium played nice and behaved like a medium. With that comparison I guess it could also work at 3cushion well without showing defects by too strong wear ..

- on my WD700 now the soft is installed. It is interesting, it playes by far not as soft as on my before mentioned 12 mm shaft. On my WD700 it plays medium. Yesterday I played with it a couple of hours, and it performes excellently. At least as good as the Kamui brown soft, but holding chalk a little better, and really no change of tipp shape! That is really great. I never had a tipp that was so good.

I've heard that Tom could make also some tipps that are set outside or between his standard steps s,m,h . Does anybody know, what is the minimum ammount of tipps that I have to order in this case. For my WD700 a Tom Haye super soft would be perfect I think. But the soft also is really great!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I've heard that Tom could make also some tipps that are set outside or between his standard steps s,m,h . Does anybody know, what is the minimum ammount of tipps that I have to order in this case. For my WD700 a Tom Haye super soft would be perfect I think. But the soft also is really great!
Many other users of UltraSkin tips reported them to be a bit softer than you expect. H is not as hard as you expect from a hard tip (so he introduced his latest HH tip which is supposed to be "real" hard one in his line), M slightly softer than common medium, and S is softer than "an S". I've seen it compared to Kamui's SS. So I don't think we could expect them to be any softer (though Tom can tell better for sure).
I think there is no limits in regard with quantity. The price changes though, 1 or 3 are more expensive than 10 or 30. But with Tom's tips it's hard to talk about them being not affordable, whatever the quantity :thumbup:

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
I have been playing now for many hours with the soft on my WD700, and I must say, this tip is really really a very good product. It has become slightly softer after that time, so I fell it at the end, but its behavior is still like from the beginning. It keeps the chalk good, but from time to time I roughn it a bit. Mushrooming was slightly visible after 2 or 3 hours, but after I egalised the slight mushroooming the tipp keeps its shape.

Who ever you are, Tom, I wanna say thanks a lot for creating such a great tipp!!

The medium works also very well at my friends 3cushion cue.

Wow!!

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a hand full of soft and mediums, one hard. Have tried the soft and medium. Normally like a Kamui SS or soft. I see little difference in the Kamui and the Ultraskin. Very good feel, holds chalk great, minimal mushrooming to date. I had about 1/3 taken off when it was installed though to help minimize mushrooming and, as someone mentioned, these tips are rather tall. Little difference in performance with the medium, just a slight change in feel. I could be easily satisfied playing either tip.

I would say, when you consider the price, you can't beat this tip. Fact is, I think the Ultraskin tips compare at least equally if not favorably with any other layered tip out there. The fact they are so affordable is just a big bonus.

With all this said, tips of course are a very subjective thing. Given the entry fee is very modest, I'd recommend giving this tip a test drive however.

riedmich

.. dogs' friend ..
Silver Member
Hi Tom, I've just seen that you rose up the prices for your tips to 10 $ each. I ordered another 7 tips because I still love it and my friend playing 3cushion loves it too. I'm sure I will convince other guys from my club also.

My soft tip on the WD700 still performes perfectly. After a couple of hours it mushroomed a little. I trimmed it and then it kept its shape for the last 30 hours of playing. It got a nuance softer in this time, holds the blue diamond chalk perfectly. It grabs the ball perfectly and also after high energy strokes it keeps its shape.

10 $ each is a big step coming from 3 $. But its absolutely worth it. I still do not continue my milkduds production because I'm convinced that the ultraskin tips are better than my milkduds.