Arizona Handicap Question?

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
A former "10" rated Arizona player recently shared with me that some time ago all rated AZ players had their handicaps reduced. How does one find out what their current handicap rating is? Can it be done online?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The AZ RATING are not available ON LINE now, and never have been. If you need to know what your Your Personal Rating now, it is One Number Lower than it was if you were Rated over 2 years ago. For an Exact Number check with some one like JAZZ at the Metro Sports Bar who should have a copy of the current AZ RATING Book.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A former "10" rated Arizona player recently shared with me that some time ago all rated AZ players had their handicaps reduced. How does one find out what their current handicap rating is? Can it be done online?

A few years ago, I would simply check with Bob Jackson or Ron Merseal. I don't know who is on the ranking comittee nowadays.

If I had to guess, I would say, Main St. in Mesa has somebody on the comittee or Skip n Jans might. Check around at the more well know bars, somebody must have a list if they are on the ranking comittee. Good luck.

There was tons of people lowered from 10's, we were overrated. Now there are very few that are rated 10 or higher and justifiably so. They rarely miss any balls. A couple right off the top of my head, Scott Frost, Mitch Ellerman, Bobby Emmons, Gus Briseno and Mike Pankoff (Pancake).

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
A few years ago, I would simply check with Bob Jackson or Ron Merseal.

You are bringing up names from the past who are not even bar or room owners any longer.

I would still go see Jazz, as Metro Sports Bar as they still has Tournament Six Night a Week. I know Jazz has cut work schedule running Tournaments, and his Pro Shop at the Metro to only 4 Night a Week. He told me this when I ran into him in DT PHX several weeks ago.

A lot of people who use to be on the AZ-Rating Committee are no longer involved in the AZ-Rating Committee, because their Bar or Room is now shut down. Rick Morris of the Ox, Larry & Marty of the Northern, and about 3 or 4 names I could add to the list that are recession victims.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are bringing up names from the past who are not even bar or room owners any longer.

I would still go see Jazz, as Metro Sports Bar as they still has Tournament Six Night a Week. I know Jazz has cut work schedule running Tournaments, and his Pro Shop at the Metro to only 4 Night a Week. He told me this when I ran into him in DT PHX several weeks ago.

A lot of people who use to be on the AZ-Rating Committee are no longer involved in the AZ-Rating Committee, because their Bar or Room is now shut down. Rick Morris of the Ox, Larry & Marty of the Northern, and about 3 or 4 names I could add to the list that are recession victims.

As I said "a few years ago". I don't know if Jazz is on the comittee? He does a great job in the Pro Shop, but maybe the Metro owner or manager is on the comittee?

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
I quit the committee about 3 years ago, but there are still quite a few rooms that are represented.

Jimmy Brewer is the Stingers Rep
Chris Carpenter is the Chairman
Kitty still reps Kitty's (I think)
Jessie Renteria/Thor was Main St Mesa
Kolby's - no idea
Bullshooters doesn't really have one either as they don't have tourneys
Not sure who rep's Metro if anyone
Bill Vanderweyst is one of them from Skip & Jans
There are a few in Tucson I believe
One in Prescott
One in Flagstaf
One in Yuma

I think it was 3+ years ago that the ratings were lowered to be more aligned with the correct definitions of each roll.