Can this shot be made with any consistency?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I have definitely played on table(s?) Where the ball was so deep, I couldn't go rail first.

Thank you. I was sure I wasn't the only one that has played on tables like that.

If the object ball is so deep on a deep-shelved, tight pocket and you cannot put draw on the cue ball, how can you consistently make the ball if the cue ball, on a half-ball hit, cannot even find its way out of the jaws of the pocket? Heck, if the cue ball was up just beyond the side pocket, it would be hard enough just hitting the ball.

Maniac

Last edited:

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
I have ran into this issue at one of the pool halls we play out, Rebco tables with deep pockets. Object ball could sit deep enough in that you cannot go rail first and with the cue ball opposite side on the rail, you have to hit the ball darn near perfect. If it is the final ball, not so bad but if you need position to the next shot, not happening.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm missing something, I'd welcome this as a game winner every game. Anything 1/2 ball (or even a little more) or less and you're good???

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I have definitely played on table(s?) Where the ball was so deep, I couldn't go rail first.

Well yeah, I didnt say go rail first... never said that. I said hit the ball and the rail at the same time. Half ball.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Thank you. I was sure I wasn't the only one that has played on tables like that.

If the object ball is so deep on a deep-shelved, tight pocket and you cannot put draw on the cue ball, how can you consistently make the ball if the cue ball, on a half-ball hit, cannot even find its way out of the jaws of the pocket? Heck, if the cue ball was up just beyond the side pocket, it would be hard enough just hitting the ball.

Maniac

Then you dont go half ball...

Black Balled said he has been on tables that you cant go rail first because the ball is so deep. Most of us have been on tables like that... you can still go half ball , that's not rail first. In some cases you might have to go a little more full but if you aim to ht ball and rail at the same time (regardless of how much ball you are hitting) the cueball will stay up, especially on a tighter cut table as you have to strike balls pure to make them. The OB will drop and the CB will rattle if it even goes in the jaws at all...

I really do not understand how this is a hard shot. From where you have the cueball, rail first is completely ridiculous anyway regardless of the pocket depth and size. You'd have to use high left or right and you got a good chance of causing the ball to masse off course...

Ive played a lot of pool over the years and played on a bunch of really tough tables... I have never seen a table that I would have trouble with this shot on.

With all that being said, see my disclaimer...

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recollection is that I was in a tournament and after being amazed for about 30 sec, then thinking for another 30,
I just jacked up and fired it at about 47y5 mph, trusting the pool gods would shine on me, you crazy diamond.

Maniac

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps I'm missing something, I'd welcome this as a game winner every game. Anything 1/2 ball (or even a little more) or less and you're good???

As a last ball, chicken dinner...but playing shape off it is a very different prop.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Oh my.... your cloth is shot....
If your interested contact me and I’ll give you a decent deal on some cloth.

Rob.M

-

View attachment 500219

Money ball literally hanging by a thread smack dab in the middle of the corner pocket. Cue ball down table on the other side right up against the short rail several inches from the corner pocket (although this shot probably wouldn't change much if the cue ball was anywhere against that rail).

Now, keep in mind that my table in the picture (yes, I know it needs recovered) has some of the shortest shelves I've ever seen on top of the fact that these are 5" openings. I would want to know how to consistently make this shot on a table with deeper shelves and tighter pockets.

All that said, I certainly know that this shot cannot be made with a full hit, and a table with tight pockets and deep shelves, it would be dang hard to make contact with the object ball by aiming at the gap. Slow rolling the cue ball is an iffy proposition because of the over/under-hitting possibility. Also with slow-rolling there could be roll-off, so...…

How would YOU shoot this shot?

Maniac (and would you pray first?)

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I could, but I'm not asking the question in my OP about my table. Once again...I was asking about this shot on tables with tight pockets and deep shelves.

I only used the picture of my table to show the placement of the balls.

No worries, I was curious about how short your shelf was in comparison to my own and some other tables. I've added a photo for you of a table with a deeper shelf I can play the shot on, but I'm not sure it's tough enough for you.

Attachments

• Shelf.png
    Shelf.png
    173.6 KB · Views: 113

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is table dependent but jacking up with backspin will do it, and it can be done, Corey can do this 9/10 times but its a very very tough stroke

off the point might be an option

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
No worries, I was curious about how short your shelf was in comparison to my own and some other tables. I've added a photo for you of a table with a deeper shelf I can play the shot on, but I'm not sure it's tough enough for you.

The 9-ball in that picture could be resting a good half-inch closer to the hole. And...I've seen both deeper shelves and tighter pockets (though usually not both on the same table.

Those jaws are tighter and the shelf is deeper that on my table. The only thing my keeps my table from being TOO easy to play on is the angle of the facings.

Good picture...thanks for posting it.

After much thought since posting this thread, I am at the full realization that this shot is makeable with consistency by better than average players. I have seen this shot strike fear into lesser players and I cannot count how many times I've seen the shooter follow the cue ball in after making the object ball. So...as a rule I'm going to say, as with most pool shots, it all depends on the ability/skill of the player shooting it.

Maniac

Maniac

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but the CB does not travel in a straight line after the contact with the OB (tangent), it swerves first. That swerve will send the CB out of the pocket every single time on an off center hit.

Julian

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
1) Take a stance as close to your regular stance as possible, without any special jacking up or what-have-you.

2) Press down hard into the table/towards the ground with the bridge hand, for added stability.

3) Aim center ball cue ball halfway between the ob visible "edge" and the pocket point to either side.

The shot can now be played as if the ball/pocket is a rail. A good player should not only pocket the ob but be able to send the cue ball most anywhere on the table for shape.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you have never seen a ball such as the one we are discussing.
1) Take a stance as close to your regular stance as possible, without any special jacking up or what-have-you.

2) Press down hard into the table/towards the ground with the bridge hand, for added stability.

3) Aim center ball cue ball halfway between the ob visible "edge" and the pocket point to either side.

The shot can now be played as if the ball/pocket is a rail. A good player should not only pocket the ob but be able to send the cue ball most anywhere on the table for shape.