Playing with a Broomstick

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lou,

When you coming back to the Boston area? You got the eight and the breaks. You play with the broomstick, I play left handed.

Banks

Banned
Good reads!

I've gotten ok with the broomstick at the bar, so sometimes I'll use it as a handicap. It's got a flat tip that I chalk more for looks and it doesn't unscrew from the bristle part. It took a little getting use to, as the first few times after using it I'd wake up with bruises on my side and wrist from hitting myself with the end - I eventually learned to keep the end perpendicular to the floor.

One day last year a friend came in to town and he likes to gamble a little here and there. He challenged me to use the broom for $10 a rack, but I told him I'd only do it if I got the break and 2 balls after the break. I ran out the first rack, making one on the break and dropping the only 2 balls that were locked up. He stopped letting me choose the balls to drop and I lost a few after that.

People like seeing their friends lose to the guy with the broomstick, but half of the time I'm a bit tipsy, so I never remember anyone. :eek:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well–heeled
Pronunciation: \-ˈhēld\
Function: adjective
Date: 1897
: having plenty of money : well-fixed

I need to stop posting from my phone when im drunk. Stupid winter weather in Chicago can drive a man to the bottle!!

Thanks, Matt. By the way, the version I heard was that if you had money, you could afford to have the heels of your shoes kept in good shape, as opposed to them being run down.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Lou,

When you coming back to the Boston area? You got the eight and the breaks. You play with the broomstick, I play left handed.

ummm, Tom, aren't you a natural southpaw?

Lou Figueroa
not heading back
to Bean town
for the foreseeable future :)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good reads!

I've gotten ok with the broomstick at the bar, so sometimes I'll use it as a handicap. It's got a flat tip that I chalk more for looks and it doesn't unscrew from the bristle part. It took a little getting use to, as the first few times after using it I'd wake up with bruises on my side and wrist from hitting myself with the end - I eventually learned to keep the end perpendicular to the floor.

One day last year a friend came in to town and he likes to gamble a little here and there. He challenged me to use the broom for $10 a rack, but I told him I'd only do it if I got the break and 2 balls after the break. I ran out the first rack, making one on the break and dropping the only 2 balls that were locked up. He stopped letting me choose the balls to drop and I lost a few after that.

People like seeing their friends lose to the guy with the broomstick, but half of the time I'm a bit tipsy, so I never remember anyone. :eek:

Thanks.

Lou Figueroa

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend who plays very well and I used to go into a small room and it was not long before neither of us could get a game. One night is was so bad the spots we were offering and still not getting action that I offered to play with a broom. My friend wanting to one up me said he would play with anything with a solid end and found an umbrella. Still no one would bet. We decided to play each other. I broke and ran out with stop/stun shots the whole way.

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Construction of a Broomstick Pool Cue, part 1

Last year I decided to put the mythology of the broomstick pool cue to the test, so I constructed my first broomstick pool cue, the BS 1.

To honor the construction of a low-tech cue, I considered it best to use only low-tech construction methods and cheap materials.

1. Home Depot 15/16" diameter broom handle. It was the only broom handle in the bin that didn't have a banana curve.
2. Short deck brush. The experience wouldn't be complete without a brush to thread onto the broom handle. I bought the cheapest one.
3. A 13-year-old dried out Le Pro tip.
4. Sandpaper left over from less successful woodworking projects.
5. Super Glue.

Total material cost: less than $10.
Previous cuemaking experience: absolutely zero
The look on my wife's face when she saw my work: priceless

Materials
bs1materials.jpg

Before sanding and tipping.
bs1_02tip.jpg

The brush doubled as a sanding block. (Thankfully my impromptu sanding block passed sniff inspection, as shown below.) The steel thing at the bottom of the image is a 15/16" pipe coupling that I borrowed from a neighbor ($0.00). After covering the internal threads of the coupling with a scrap of paper, I jammed the thing onto the business end of the broomstick. The face of the coupling provided a reference plane so that I could sand down the end of the broomstick to a flat surface more or less at a right angle to the cylindrical axis. The coupling's threads tore through the paper and left nice (artisanal) scratch marks in the wood.
DSC_4806.JPG

The tip, attached:
bs1_03tipped.jpg

The finished BS 1, complete with its small but functional brush for cleaning up the ashes of victims who self-combust after being beaten at pool by a doofus with a broomstick.
bs1_04complete.jpg

Playability
Later I might post some photos and/or videos of the BS 1 in action. For now I'll offer a few observations.

If you've wondered whether a broomstick has issues with deflection/squirt, then the answer is oh hell yes. If you use the equations provided by Ron Shepard in his paper on squirt, you can easily calculate that the amount of squirt from a 15/16" pole of wood is roughly 1.0 metric truckloads.
http://www.sfbilliards.com/shepard_squirt.pdf

When you have a 13 mm (~ 1/2") diameter leather tip attached to the center of a 15/16" straight cylinder of wood, you can no longer see the tip if your chin is within about 6" of the cue. When you can't see the cue tip, making a ball into the far corner pocket on a 9-foot table is like stumbling into the bathroom at night without your glasses, firing away, and hoping you're aiming into the toilet and not, say, at a random spot on the rug. (But that's what that rug's there for, right?)

Closed loop bridge? Not so easy unless you're a fairly big person. I'm travel-sized with hands to match, so I was stuck using an open bridge or a rail bridge.

For most of the shooting tests I used the broomstick without the brush. Having the brush attached makes a bold statement, and the way it can smack into the edge of the table also prevents excessive follow-through.

I didn't break & run any racks with the BS 1, but in one game of 9-ball I cheesed in the nine after breaking and running a few.

And no, I did not test the BS 1 on a snooker table.

Last edited:

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
A friend who plays very well and I used to go into a small room and it was not long before neither of us could get a game. One night is was so bad the spots we were offering and still not getting action that I offered to play with a broom. My friend wanting to one up me said he would play with anything with a solid end and found an umbrella. Still no one would bet. We decided to play each other. I broke and ran out with stop/stun shots the whole way.

Ok, you have professed to be an APA 6 for as long as I can remember. I find this story extremely suspect. I guess it could happen once, but I would bet big given 10 tries that you couldn't do it again.

Was this on a 9 foot or 7 foot table?

Last edited:

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played for pitchers of beer with the ballbangers in my poolroom!(when i was so drunk i would bump into every corner of the table as i passed it!) You just have to simplify your game, it is very similiar to playing with the old grapefruit bartable cueballs!

Jeremy

busby busybody

Registered
In the late 90's, I knew of a place where, once a month they held a shovel handle shoot. Bring your own shovel. Never played in it. Nor did I ever actually witness such nonsense, but the sign was on the wall. BB

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Rethunk, man if you are going to play with a 15/16" shaft, you need a 15/16" tip. Sheesh!! :grin:

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member
Rethunk, man if you are going to play with a 15/16" shaft, you need a 15/16" tip. Sheesh!! :grin:

Yeah, I know. Instead of using the right tools I settled for right now when it came to materials. If I can find a 15/16" tip maybe I can enter the next broomstick (BS 2 a.k.a. BS, Too) as a monster cue at cuezilla.com.

busby busybody

Registered
Yeah, I know. Instead of using the right tools I settled for right now when it came to materials. If I can find a 15/16" tip maybe I can enter the next broomstick (BS 2 a.k.a. BS, Too) as a monster cue at cuezilla.com.

Maybe check out Tandy leather supplies?