Logo design challenge

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I'm not a designer but what about a 3 ball rack with 2 at the top and one below with D D in the top two and C in the bottom one instead of numbers?

I suppose that could work, maybe even 3 in a row, like 8, 9 & 10 but with DDC.
Thanks for the input.

gr. Dave

I was inspired by your desire to have at least the initials and a piece of billiards equipment, so I submit the attached.

Attachments

• ddc.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 144

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happy to help.

Or maybe 3 cues side by side and the initials DDC in the joints of the cues (one letter per joint). It would have to be a closeup on the joints with maybe a bit of the forearm showing.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Dave, a few things to consider when going into logo design (I'm a professional graphic/product/packaging/web designer in the pool & billiards industry):

Logo design is highly intensive. Aside from car and architectural design, I consider it the most challenging of all disciplines, simply because you need to say as much about a company as humanly possible in a split second. In that split second, you need to grab the attention of your market and communicate - in some cases - many ideas at once.

In order to achieve a great logo, your designer needs to know anything and everything about your company. For instance, if a lemonade company comes to me without giving information, I might just design a boring lemon logo. But what if that lemonade company uses lemons grown only in Hawaii? And what if that Hawaiian company is marketing their product mainly to kids? Well then their logo is already turning into something interesting and ideas are more directed and less up in the air.

I understand if your budget is limited to about $100 worth of equipment, but understand that a logo is the core of a brand's visual identity. Everything from its color, composition, typefaces used, and graphic style should all be integrated into the rest of the brand's identity (such as the business card, the website, the store front, the company's uniform, if applicable, etc.).

I have seen on MANY forums in other industries where the owner offers $50-$100 or so compensation. But you should know that the average market value for logo design - depending on the scope of the client - is usually around $600-$5,000, by professional designers. I generally charge $1,000 for all my logo designs, but in the pool industry I go as low as $500, since most of my clients are there.

The process is typically a 6-week, 6-stage process, where I start out with about 50-60 black and white ideas (mostly rough) and ask the client to pick 5 or so that they like. From there, I take those 5 and elaborate further on those, still working in black and white, and creating a new batch of about maybe 100 different ideas. From there, we move to round 3 in color, and you see how this goes. This goes for 6 rounds (more rounds cost a few extra bucks).

Good logo design isn't just "here's the finished design in color." There is a long process in which the designer and client go through stages of ideas. Remember that your logo SHOULD be something you use for decades. Brand identity is very important, especially in an industry where pool players have an enormous amount of choices. If your brand changes every few years, you get lost in the crowd. Stay recognizable. The best brands in the world do this. And if they update their logo, it's minimally.

So if you take a logo design here from someone who happens to come up with a decent idea, you'll still need to have it trickle down into the rest of your brand identity (unless you don't care about that). These are serious things to consider because a new logo is a huge investment in your company. I don't mean to discredit those who give you ideas, but you are a professional and I'm sure you value a pro's work.

Thanks for your time Dave. If you want to see my work, you can visit my sites here:

Company website: fastnloosedesigns.com
Portfolio website: chrisdesignsstuff.com

If you're interested, I can design your logo for a good price. Thanks!

-Chris Santana, fast&loose designs

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a designer...which is obvious, and you've gotten a lot of good advice about keeping things simple and all that. But if you really want to feature pool related items in it this is a very rough idea I came up with.

logo_2.jpg

Remember that your logo SHOULD be something you use for decades. Brand identity is very important, especially in an industry where pool players have an enormous amount of choices. If your brand changes every few years, you get lost in the crowd. Stay recognizable. The best brands in the world do this. And if they update their logo, it's minimally.

Great write-up. I'm no designer, but I have spent a lot of time around graphic designers and am fascinated by the process...how they can take a clever idea and give it subtlety, personality...life.

I want to expand on the part I highlighted. Two opposing examples that prove your statement are Kentucky Fried Chicken and Kmart. They both changed their logos (and, really, names) to go to KFC and Big K (mostly) because they were dying, they had failed to live up to their core reputation and were attempting to rebrand.

I don't think anybody on here will consider KFC of Kmart as 'best' brands, but there was a long time where their reputations drove the business upward.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Are there any graphic design people here? I need some help in that area.

Please pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Insert your choice of 8 ball on left, 9 ball on right, or cue ball and 8-ball, or object ball and triangle, whatever keeps it simple and identifiable as cue-sport related.

Available in .psd layer format, color of any letter characters or background can be changed. Background can be re-sized, extended left or right, etc. Right now the lettering is a bit off center since I was not trying to be perfect.

DoubleDave.jpg

I don't think a line-art cue would add anything to your logo because it is too difficult to draw a good cue in the available space.

Insert your choice of 8 ball on left, 9 ball on right, or cue ball and 8-ball, or object ball and triangle, whatever keeps it simple and identifiable as cue-sport related.

Available in .psd layer format, color of any letter characters or background can be changed. Background can be re-sized, extended left or right, etc. Right now the lettering is a bit off center since I was not trying to be perfect.

View attachment 387841

I don't think a line-art cue would add anything to your logo because it is too difficult to draw a good cue in the available space.

The fade on this is horrible, it washes out the lettering.

In case you didn't notice, the mirror of 'Double' looks like 'Donpla'. Busy and hard to read.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Here's something I threw together on photoshop.
The lettering and colors can all be changed to suit your preferences.

Cheers,
Vic

Attachments

• logo.JPG
    logo.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 296

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here's my entry. instead of an "8" a closer looks reveals a DD.

I prefer the tilted version myself - looks like the ball is rolling.

Chris

Attachments

• DD Logo3-MED.jpg
    DD Logo3-MED.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DD Logo2-MED.jpg
    DD Logo2-MED.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just ideas

#3 mistake is on purpose

Attachments

• doubledavelogo1.jpg
    doubledavelogo1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 265
  • doubledavelogo3.jpg
    doubledavelogo3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 261
  • doubledavelogo4.jpg
    doubledavelogo4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 256

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hi guys,

For quite a few years now we've had the same basic design on our webshop
and it's time for a change. I've spent some money on Fiverr.com but have not
had the result I've been looking for. It's not that they're bad designers but not
a lot of people can relate to the cue market.

The best designs I got from there I will add as attachments.

We operate in the custom cue and upper end of the production cue market.
I have no preferences to certain colours I would simply like the design to, well,
be good. It would be best I think if somehow a ball or cue was integrated into
the design. It will be used mainly in the header or our site so something along
the lines of 225x150 pixels is the size it will be mostly used in (hence no super
detailed stuff).

If a logo is designed that we will use for the website the designer will obviously
be compensated but by posting the design here (or as a PM to me) understand
that you are giving me the right to use the image as I see fit.

gr. Dave

As far as your original choices, pf these I like the rack design the best. It has a nice shape and I like the lettering. Kind of a retro look.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Dave, a few things to consider when going into logo design (I'm a professional graphic/product/packaging/web designer in the pool & billiards industry):

Logo design is highly intensive. Aside from car and architectural design, I consider it the most challenging of all disciplines, simply because you need to say as much about a company as humanly possible in a split second. In that split second, you need to grab the attention of your market and communicate - in some cases - many ideas at once.

In order to achieve a great logo, your designer needs to know anything and everything about your company. For instance, if a lemonade company comes to me without giving information, I might just design a boring lemon logo. But what if that lemonade company uses lemons grown only in Hawaii? And what if that Hawaiian company is marketing their product mainly to kids? Well then their logo is already turning into something interesting and ideas are more directed and less up in the air.

I understand if your budget is limited to about $100 worth of equipment, but understand that a logo is the core of a brand's visual identity. Everything from its color, composition, typefaces used, and graphic style should all be integrated into the rest of the brand's identity (such as the business card, the website, the store front, the company's uniform, if applicable, etc.).

I have seen on MANY forums in other industries where the owner offers $50-$100 or so compensation. But you should know that the average market value for logo design - depending on the scope of the client - is usually around $600-$5,000, by professional designers. I generally charge $1,000 for all my logo designs, but in the pool industry I go as low as $500, since most of my clients are there.

The process is typically a 6-week, 6-stage process, where I start out with about 50-60 black and white ideas (mostly rough) and ask the client to pick 5 or so that they like. From there, I take those 5 and elaborate further on those, still working in black and white, and creating a new batch of about maybe 100 different ideas. From there, we move to round 3 in color, and you see how this goes. This goes for 6 rounds (more rounds cost a few extra bucks).

Good logo design isn't just "here's the finished design in color." There is a long process in which the designer and client go through stages of ideas. Remember that your logo SHOULD be something you use for decades. Brand identity is very important, especially in an industry where pool players have an enormous amount of choices. If your brand changes every few years, you get lost in the crowd. Stay recognizable. The best brands in the world do this. And if they update their logo, it's minimally.

So if you take a logo design here from someone who happens to come up with a decent idea, you'll still need to have it trickle down into the rest of your brand identity (unless you don't care about that). These are serious things to consider because a new logo is a huge investment in your company. I don't mean to discredit those who give you ideas, but you are a professional and I'm sure you value a pro's work.

Thanks for your time Dave. If you want to see my work, you can visit my sites here:

Company website: fastnloosedesigns.com
Portfolio website: chrisdesignsstuff.com

If you're interested, I can design your logo for a good price. Thanks!

-Chris Santana, fast&loose designs

Hi Chris,

Interesting write up and with the amount of work invloved I can see where the
price comes from.

But, and I do mean this totally respectfully, for my company it would be overkill.
I am allready well established in the market. We are redoing our website both
frontend and backend and the amount of money you're talking about just for a
logo (not your special price) is what we spend on the entire frontend and backend
re-design.

I am not going to be the next Amazon, I sell high end pool cues because that is
what I love to do and that market will always be very, very limited.

gr. Dave

Last edited:

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had this idea for a logo icon.

d2logo.jpg

With two Ds in your name I was thinking about D with a superscript 2. Then shooting a cue through the D and making the superscript 2 a ball. This is just a first pass,

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I had this idea for a logo icon.

With two Ds in your name I was thinking about D with a superscript 2. Then shooting a cue through the D and making the superscript 2 a ball. This is just a first pass,

I like several things about this design, but, even though my screenname is
DoubleDave, my company name is DoubleDave Cues so I am missing either
the C or DoubleDave Cues written out in full somewhere somehow.

gr. Dave

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Looks pretty good to me and looks like it can be CNC'd too other than the shading and fonts being small when on say a delrin butt cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk