What cues did the HOF'ers use?

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
UPDATED 4

There have been many threads with the cues players use today. What about the older greats? What cue did they use? I read about these old greats and rarely does it mention the cue that they played/are playing with. I really would like to know. I assume they all didn’t use a Brunswick cue even though they have produced some of the greatest cuemakers ever. Please help fill in the blanks. I will update as necessary. Thanks, Jay. PS…I’m sure I forgot some of the greats. If you know what cue they used please add their name to the list. Thanks.

Ralph Greenleaf - Brunswick, Ralph Greenleaf model

Willie Hoppe – I believe used a Herman Rambo as part of Rambo’s cues had what is known as the Hoppe ring.

Charlie Peterson - ?

Welker Cochran - Harvey Martin cue

Alfred DeOro - Rambo?

Willie Mosconi – Used a Rambo to set his 526 ball record – Also used a Balabushka with a Burton Spain forearm - Helmstetter

Jake Schaffer, Sr - Herman Rambo

Jake Schaffer, Jr - Rambo?

Harold Worst - ?

Frank Taberski - ?

Johnny Layton - ?

Cicero Murphy - Balabushka

Jimmy Caras – I assumed he used a Brunswick since he worked for them. Exactly what kind??? Rambo early and many others during career, he is also known to have use an Adams cue made by Richard Helmstetter.

Irving Crane - Balabushka and Rambo.

Steve Mizerak - Balabushka, Boti, Tascarella, Richard Black, later 90's, Mizerak used a Dennis Searing cue.

Dorothy Wise - ?

Joe Balsis - Frank Paradise and Balabushka

Rudolph “Minnesota Fats” Wanderone - Rambo?

Jean Balukas - Balabushka and Richard Black?

Lou Butera - Bert Schrager

Erwin Rudolph - ?

Andrew Ponzi - ?

Mike Sigel – World 14.1 championships 1979 – 1981, probably used a Joss. 1985 14.1 and his World 9 ball in 1985? (assume those were Meucci wins in ’85)

Nick Varner – What cue was he using in his 1980 World 14.1 championship? A Joss by Danny Janes until 1996.. Was the same cue used in his 1986 World 14.1 Championship and great 1986 winning spree? He contracted with Meucci from96 to 99. He changed to a McDaniel and proceeded to win a World open 9 ball, a Mizerack senior tour tournament, a world championship one-pocket and a Derby City one-pocket championship. He then became sponsored by Falcon. Presently, he uses his own brand cue at.

Ray Martin – Did he use the same cue for all his World 14.1 titles, ’71, ’74 and ’78? Gus Szamboti cues. I believe he won his first world title with a Balabushka and the next 2 with his Szamboti. He his now using a
60" Philippine cue.

Cecil P. “Buddy” Hall – How many different cues did he use to win? Meucci, Huebler and Bludworth

Mike Massey - McDermott and Meucci and Scruggs

Alan Hopkins - Balabushka, Boti, Frank Coster during his heyday and Lambros

U.J. Puckett - Tad

Luther Lassiter - Gina

Many pros had many cues given to them, or they tried different cues through out their careers. We have had Palmers that were Balsis, a Gina cue for Lassiter and one for Minnesota Fats...

Last edited:

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am fairly certain that Joe Balsis played with a Frank Paradise cue, although it may have been a Palmer.

Mike Sigel played with Joss Cues, made by Dan Janes, in the 1970's - early 80's.

As did Nick Varner in the mid-late 80's.

I remember seeing Steve Mizerak playing with a gorgeous ebony Balabushka in the mid-late 70's.

I believe it was Brunswick that made a Ralph Greenleaf Cue that was a predecessor to the Hoppe Cues. There are pictures of him playing with these cues, taken in the 1940's for sure, maybe even the 1930's.

Prior to the 1930's, most of the good players were shooting with something that came out of Brunswick.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Massey used a Meucci at one time and McDermott...probably a few others.

I remember Allen Hopkins used to use a Lambros, but I know he has used a few others too.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
I know Mizerak played with a Balabushka in the late 70's and had Gus make him a cue in the early 80's.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that Schaefer Sr. wouldnt have used a Rambow as a youngster, but later on he did.

the newspapers say he made cues for (at least):

Minnesota Fats
Mosconi
Gleason
Newman
Sam Snead
Milton Berle
Willie Hoppe
Alfred D'oro
Cap Anson
Bo Belinsky
Jake Schaefer Sr. (also travelled with him)
George H Sutton (armless)
Francis (Frank) Anderson (man who played dressed like a woman)

I cant see him not making a cue for schaefer jr., although jr did take up residence on the west coast for a while.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Billiard Encyclopedia

I'm sure that Schaefer Sr. wouldnt have used a Rambow as a youngster, but later on he did.

Minnesota Fats
Mosconi
Gleason
Newman
Sam Snead
Milton Berle
Willie Hoppe
Alfred D'oro
Cap Anson
Bo Belinsky

I cant see him not making a cue for schaefer jr., although jr did take up residence on the west coast for a while.

On page 315 of the Billiard Encyclopedia (3rd Ed), is a list of legendary players from the first 70 years of the last century, who used either Rambow or Harvey Martin cues.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks

Thank you topcat. It's interesting to note the stranglehold Brunswick had on the cue industry.

I am fairly certain that Joe Balsis played with a Frank Paradise cue, although it may have been a Palmer.

Mike Sigel played with Joss Cues, made by Dan Janes, in the 1970's - early 80's.

As did Nick Varner in the mid-late 80's.

I remember seeing Steve Mizerak playing with a gorgeous ebony Balabushka in the mid-late 70's.

I believe it was Brunswick that made a Ralph Greenleaf Cue that was a predecessor to the Hoppe Cues. There are pictures of him playing with these cues, taken in the 1940's for sure, maybe even the 1930's.

Prior to the 1930's, most of the good players were shooting with something that came out of Brunswick.

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks

Interesting that Hopkins uses/used a Lambros.

Mike Massey used a Meucci at one time and McDermott...probably a few others.

I remember Allen Hopkins used to use a Lambros, but I know he has used a few others too.

Wags

Silver Member
Thank you Tiddler

I appreciate your response and the information. I kind of would have figured that for some reason. :)

I know Mizerak played with a Balabushka in the late 70's and had Gus make him a cue in the early 80's.

Last edited:

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks

Mr. Bond, I have been reading your posts for a long time now, You are forever a fountain of information. I thank you for your input on this thread.

Minnesota Fats
Mosconi
Gleason
Newman
Sam Snead
Milton Berle
Willie Hoppe
Alfred D'oro
Cap Anson
Bo Belinsky

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks Mr. Lutz

While I do not have access to that publication, thatnk you for the information. I guess Rambo's were used if you were from the right coast and Martins were used if you were from the left coast. Is that right?

On page 315 of the Billiard Encyclopedia (3rd Ed), is a list of legendary players from the first 70 years of the last century, who used either Rambow or Harvey Martin cues.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Wags

Silver Member

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank Coster built cues in the 1980's and made one for Allen Hopkins which he played with for many years.

The cue I saw Jean Balukas playing with in the late 70's early 80's almost certainly had to have been a Balabushka. I'd be surprised if it was anything other.

Last edited:

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Caras was given cues by many different cue builders. He had a very fancy Adams cue that had been built for him by Richard Helmstetter in the late 60's or early 70's. But, during his competition years, he most likely used some sort of Brunswick cue since he was on their exhibition staff starting in the 1930's.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Wow, does that mean if someone came up with the Rambo he used to set the record it would go for $100,000+? I wonder if the person that bought it plays much pool? Interesting tidbit.

I would think the record breaking Rambow would certainly be a highly prized cue IF you could prove the provenance. One of the things that made Willie's Balabushka so valuable was the strength of the provenance; it was in his possession at his death and was being auctioned officially by the estate.

I don't know the status of THE Rambow cue. Herman probably put Willie's name on it but I don't know (if it still exists) that the person who has it knows it is the specific cue that Willie set the record with - and has the documentation to prove it. Obviously it would still be worth a considerable sum if it could be authenticated as having been Willie's cue, but the "526" cue I would think would be the holy grail of Rambow cues. But for that kind of money you'd have to be able to prove it. I'd assume Willie owned more than one Rambow over the years.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Curious where his Bushka with the dove resides. Would like to add that when I got to know him in the late eighties, he's just swapped from playing with a Tascarella to a Richard Black. He used excess length cues with thinner (dare I say slimmer or more slender, LOL?) than average handles.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Wags

Silver Member
Thank you Top

I've never heard of a Costner cue. Are they still around and being made? It doesn't surprise me that Queen Jean would be using a Bushka.

I always liked the pre-Japan Adams and Helmstetter cues.

Thanks for your input. updated.

Frank Coster built cues in the 1980's and made one for Allen Hopkins which he played with for many years.

The cue I saw Jean Balukas playing with in the late 70's early 80's almost certainly had to have been a Balabushka. I'd be surprised if it was anything other.

Jimmy Caras was given cues by many different cue builders. He had a very fancy Adams cue that had been built for him by Richard Helmstetter in the late 60's or early 70's. But, during his competition years, he most likely used some sort of Brunswick cue since he was on their exhibition staff starting in the 1930's.

Wags

Silver Member
Thanks guru

I strained my eyes last night trying to figure out the cue Miz was using in the great match against CJ Wiley. Alas, my quality was too poor. I would imagine that dove bushka has a lot of stories to tell.

Thanks for your input.

Jay

Curious where his Bushka with the dove resides. Would like to add that when I got to know him in the late eighties, he's just swapped from playing with a Tascarella to a Richard Black. He used excess length cues with thinner (dare I say slimmer or more slender, LOL?) than average handles.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti