5/16-14 Atlas brass insert install?

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All -

I bought some self-aligning brass inserts from Atlas and I'm curious if the installation process is different from the standard (non-shoulder) versions?

The shoulder diameter is .450" with 7/16-20 outside threads.

Does the following sound like the right approach?

1.) Center drill 25/64" to depth of insert.
2.) Bore .450" to depth of shoulder on insert
3.) Tap 7/16-20" to depth of hole.
4.) epoxy insert.

Thanks,

Phil

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Hi All -

I bought some self-aligning brass inserts from Atlas and I'm curious if the installation process is different from the standard (non-shoulder) versions?

The shoulder diameter is .450" with 7/16-20 outside threads.

Does the following sound like the right approach?

1.) Center drill 25/64" to depth of insert.
2.) Bore .450" to depth of shoulder on insert
3.) Tap 7/16-20" to depth of hole.
4.) epoxy insert.

Thanks,

Phil
#3 before #2.
Also grind a flat on one side of the insert to prevent it from spinning.
Wet cotton swab with thinner and clean the inside of the insert right after gluing. If epoxy gets in there, it's screwed.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the self aligning inserts have grooves on the shoulder to prevent them from turning and better epoxy holding, although, adding a flat spot won't hurt. You can make a small ball out of paper towels and inserted in the brass insert before gluing to prevent epoxy from entering.

Mario

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
Dipping the bottom of the insert in hot bee's wax and letting it solidify before putting the insert into the wood is also a nice way to keep the epoxy out.

Alan

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
You can stick a foam earplug in there and pull it out after you have the insert installed.

My method is to drill inserts out undersize,then use the last drill bit and/or bore and tap AFTER they are installed and the epoxy is set. Tommy D.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#3 before #2.
Also grind a flat on one side of the insert to prevent it from spinning.
Wet cotton swab with thinner and clean the inside of the insert right after gluing. If epoxy gets in there, it's screwed.

And of course face the shaft before installing the insert. You would think who ever is making these inserts would have done the course thread at the bottom instead of continuing to copy what uni loc has done. If the tolerances are not correct the insert will of course suck out. :eek:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can stick a foam earplug in there and pull it out after you have the insert installed.

My method is to drill inserts out undersize,then use the last drill bit and/or bore and tap AFTER they are installed and the epoxy is set. Tommy D.

Something about old school kind of makes you feel warm and fuzzy. :thumbup:

IMG_20191108_095238.jpg

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hadn't even thought about just making my own insert! Where can I find the blank brass inserts?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hadn't even thought about just making my own insert! Where can I find the blank brass inserts?

The company that you listed use to offer blanks. I would ask them. The rules of this forum prohibit listing suppliers or I would gladly list others. But I would look in the machinery section and ask the person selling Prongs. They might also offer the blanks.

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike!

I had another question that I'm hoping you can help with. Ultimately this shaft is to be paired with a mezz united joint. I tried test screwing the insert I bought from Atlas into a mezz united pin and ingot about 2 threads in before it wouldn't go on further without forcing.

I'm assuming the mezz pin has a bit larger diameter than the insert. Would you happen to know of boring the insert a little bigger would solve this?

Thanks!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike!

I had another question that I'm hoping you can help with. Ultimately this shaft is to be paired with a mezz united joint. I tried test screwing the insert I bought from Atlas into a mezz united pin and ingot about 2 threads in before it wouldn't go on further without forcing.

I'm assuming the mezz pin has a bit larger diameter than the insert. Would you happen to know of boring the insert a little bigger would solve this?

Thanks!

I don't know exactly. I have a larger tap that works for me. Mezz, Black Boar and Tascarella use a full 5/16x14 joint screw. (.312/.313 full screw)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did you get your larger tap?

In the 90's, I had Widell make all my specialty taps and dies. I paid big bucks for them. I was working Tournament's every weekend from here to Canada. It was essential having as much tooling as I could on the road.

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike. I'll first try and bore the insert a little bigger and Chase with a tap

pip9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*Update*

I was able to get a tight fit by opening up the insert a few thousandths with a boring bar and chasing the threads with a tap.

Note, I also had to trim the diameter of the insert pilot down to 9.02mm as this is the size of the counter bore on the mezz united butts.

Thanks to all for the help!

-Phil

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
*Update*

I was able to get a tight fit by opening up the insert a few thousandths with a boring bar and chasing the threads with a tap.

Note, I also had to trim the diameter of the insert pilot down to 9.02mm as this is the size of the counter bore on the mezz united butts.

Thanks to all for the help!

-Phil

Hi Phil
Nice. Thank you for the follow up.