Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Well done, John. The respect of your peers means everything!

IMHO, I believe the fact that his peers believe he did it speaks volumes.

Has anyone heard a professional pool player cast doubt on the fact that he accomplished his feat? Anyone???

{crickets chirping}

I would bet that John Schmidt cares more about what his peers feel about his 626 ball run than any keyboard punching, half-a$$ed pool playing pool forum contributor does.

Maniac

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Yeah and he played in a smaller ball park too.

I heard all the excuses by the haters then. Guess it doesn't change.

Sadly, some people did have an issue with Hank Aaron beating Ruth’s home run record. Death threats and all....a lot to do with his race.

I guess since Hank Aaron had around 4000 more at bats then Ruth, then his record doesn’t count. :shrug:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
...and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend.

Bottom line, you can't "GIVE HIM" an achievement he didn't earn.
It's a record. Not a legal document. You don't need an act of congress to report that something happened.

As to your last statement, you are correct. You can't give him something he didn't earn. But, by your own logic, you should be able to recognize something he did accomplish. That is, even if you challenge the fact that he "beat" Mosconi, you cannot deny that he ran 626 balls, on camera.

-td

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kudos for Mr. Schmidt

Count me as one of the admirers of John Schmidt's feat; I also don't see anyone ever beating 626...although some may say "nothing is impossible"...

Congratulations to John Schmidt for attaining what seems to have been at least one of his life's goals.......it most certainly must've seemed like the "Impossible Dream...." ........ Maybe even more amazing to me is the number of times he attempted to do this and failed, after running 100-400 and more balls each time......(208 times, if I read right?) ....

I am very happy for him, and also that the BCA seems to have recognized this
feat, along with the Guinness Book of World Records.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see why people cannot get behind John? When the video is released,

what will it be then? 626 balls. Shot in the pocket. On a 9 foot table. Things have

changed since Mosconi's run, and it still wasn't beaten until John did it. Maple cue?

Come on...really? Masters chalk? WTF! And coming from people who don't even know

where Thorsten is from, and have to 'look' into Appleton? Really? Do you even shoot pool?

Reaching real far with Varners quip also, NEITHER were in competition! But what do I know,

except all those living legends were not even close to beating 526, nevermind the new

record of 626.
According to what he says, he happened back upon pool when he stumbled into a biker bar and all the onlookers were so impressed with his "abilities" that they showered praise upon him.

He then thought to himself, "I really like when people tell me I'm good at stuff. I wonder if I let girls win at pool, will they like me better?"

He's been hitting thousands of balls everyday since.

It is now his patriotic duty to protect Willie Mosconi's legacy. Seemingly against the Russians?

You know, the same exact way we all got into this.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
IMHO, I believe the fact that his peers believe he did it speaks volumes.

Not really. They are no more qualified than anyone else to corroborate that the run happened. I feel certain that the run happened, but respect that others would prefer more evidence. For me, the BCA's validation is the only proof I require.

The importance of the positive feedback of these great champions is that they are the ones who can best understand from a skills, mental and physical standpoint how difficult it is to run 626 balls, and just how special John's run really is.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
"I'm the king of the world"

I guess you defended Babe Ruth's record from being beaten.....by another AMERICAN as well, right?

No, but I did stay at a Holiday inn last night and they had a pool table. I was so bored I ran 987 before I got yelled at for playing with the wrong "stick" and had to stop.

I had a few people sign a napkin and the hotel is going to see if they can get me the security video so I can send it into the BCA and be the next titleholder. I'm worried though. The hotel said they might not be able to give me the video but they will let me know. They said they would call as soon as they heard something.

I can't wait!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
There is some (but at the moment not enough for some) evidence that 626 happened. I didn't say proof, but there is some evidence. I think we all can accept that John was making an attempt, we saw the earlier tries live streamed. We have the affidavit... just a piece of paper really, but if fake it's a pretty big conspiracy of a lot of people. We have the BCA...again, not irrefutable proof by itself but it adds to the growing pile. So I get it, it's not enough for everyone, I accept that.

So what evidence is there that it didn't happen? Has someone said they were part of faking the whole thing? Has someone said they saw John at a Denny's in Cincinnati the day it allegedly happened? Was there a known shady video editor spotted leaving John's cousins wife's nanny's apartment?

We are all speculating, nobody but a few know what actually happened. For those speculating it didn't, is it entirely based on not having seen it or is there something beyond just wanting it to not be true?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Ready,,,,

According to what he says, he happened back upon pool when he stumbled into a biker bar and all the onlookers were so impressed with his "abilities" that they showered praise upon him.

He then thought to himself, "I really like when people tell me I'm good at stuff. I wonder if I let girls win at pool, will they like me better?"

He's been hitting thousands of balls everyday since.

It is now his patriotic duty to protect Willie Mosconi's legacy. Seemingly against the Russians?

You know, the same exact way we all got into this.

hey comrade, (I really don't know if I'm using that word right)
"Pull"
it isn't that it is something that it can be seen if it can be it or not it but it is its own identity if it is what it is on not what it is, is its own question onto itself if it desires it.

Did you get it?

in this case, the term "Russians" is not used to specify people from a specific country but instead used as slang to represent foreign involvement in a national issue. This is is not specific to your homeland. Now that you point it out though, in this day and age, anything is possible.

As I said in a previous post.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey comrade, (I really don't know if I'm using that word right)

"Pull"

it isn't that it is something that it can be seen if it can be it or not it but it is its own identity if it is what it is on not what it is, is its own question onto itself if it desires it.

Did you get it?

in this case, the term "Russians" is not used to specify people from a specific country but instead used as slang to represent foreign involvement in a national issue. This is is not specific to your homeland. Now that you point it out though, in this day and age, anything is possible.

As I said in a previous post.

If you want the credit for beating Mosconi, then you need to beat him on his own turf, 1 game, 1 chance, one long run until you miss, with a ref, a normal rack, right side of the table, Maple cue, Masters, same table dimensions, no 5 hour boost, on a table used by the public, with the same kind of felt, balls, and a licensed attorney with a Notary to make it all nice and legal just like happened to the Legend. Hec you might as well drive there that day and sleep in your car for a while before you start at 8:00 before 50 or so near-strangers that have assembled in advanced who are having a few "pops" and waiting to see the famous you play pool.

What the hell is with the "foreign involvement in a national issue" BS?

Bro your not some freedom fighter and this not some international incident.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
Sadly, some people did have an issue with Hank Aaron beating Ruth’s home run record. Death threats and all....a lot to do with his race.

I guess since Hank Aaron had around 4000 more at bats then Ruth, then his record doesn’t count. :shrug:

I see your point now.. didn't know there were death threats.

But apples and oranges and nothing to do with this.

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
What the hell is with the "foreign involvement in a national issue" BS?

Bro your not some freedom fighter and this not some international incident.

I'm sure English is hard for you but maybe there is someone there like an American English teacher that can help you understand. I really don't have that much time to help you understand what I'm saying everytime I post something. Please, go and work on your American English.

and you, your nothing but a few lines of random thoughts in a forum crying like a baby and one might ask why? Why do you care? Why are you foaming at the mouth?

I know I really don't care.

Maybe it's time to just call them and see what's really in their hand. :(

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm sure English is hard for you but maybe there is someone there like an American English teacher that can help you understand. I really don't have that much time to help you understand what I'm saying everytime I post something. Please, go and work on your American English.

and you, your nothing but a few lines of random thoughts in a forum crying like a baby and one might ask why? Why do you care? Why are you foaming at the mouth?

I know I really don't care.

Maybe it's time to just call them and see what's really in their hand. :(

How much do you know about the saying - crazier than a Shithouse Rat?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good Lord. Do you really believe that Mosconi set the record by duplicating Irving Crane's exact conditions back when 309 was the world record?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
They have time to research every person who signed the affidavit, time to respond to 20 posts in 2 threads, and dig up obscure stats...but when pressed on the "it's the government puppet master" nonsense they are suddenly too busy to explain themselves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I see your point now.. didn't know there were death threats.

But apples and oranges and nothing to do with this.

The only way John could satisfy your requirements is if he was playing next on the table Mosconi just played on, but then, the chances are the humidity level wouldn't have been the same, so you'd still have objections.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And, as one of the champions said earlier, to be able to maintain focus after reaching 500 but not yet 526, and to run another hundred after....well.....amazing. Simply incredible.

Will Prout

Will, I agree with you and the others who have noted that the pressure he was under, from say 450-526 must have been intense.....above 526 however, I think the pressure is off, and not quite as hard (for him) to run another 100.....

<------------I'm a big fan of John's efforts.....:bow-down:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People have complained that a long run isn’t valid if it wasn’t made during competition. I imagine tournament runs would become much longer if safety play was banned!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
People have complained that a long run isn’t valid if it wasn’t made during competition. I imagine tournament runs would become much longer if safety play was banned!

Then Mosconi never had the record, or he shared it with a bunch of people.

How would runs be any longer? A race to 150 is a race to 150, you cant go past 150 unless you were in the negative to start the run.