Orcollo might try to beat the 626 record

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would prefer to see the record broken in a challenge match, and such a plan was in the works for a while. Multiple matches were to be set up in block format so the full race would be to something like 2500 in each match, with a potential 2500 and out run possible. The current record for a match run is Appleton's 200 and out against Bustamante, so far as I know. I think a proper "match" record can't be longer than the set race length. And any true match record is obviously of higher rank than an exhibition record.

The challenge matches that were planned depended on multiple underwriters to donate a total of a few thousand each for sure and promise about 10k each in the event a new record (527, now 627) was set.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I calculated that John was about 25% to run 100 from any open shot in the format he was playing. I think Dennis might be 30% or 35% on loose equipment based on his intensity and success at DCC. In order to run 600+, Dennis will need about 1000 starts from zero. I think that will take more than a week, and in the process Dennis will run 300+ 20 or 30 times.

Or, he might catch lightning in a bottle the first hour. John's 626 was a serious outlier seeing as how he has never run a 500 and you could expect about four 500s before his first 600, statistically.

I'm on the same page.

Dennis may "can" get there but, it will take him a "lllooonnnggg" time unless, as you put it, catches that lightning in the bottle gear.

But, we have to remember that even if he did catch that lightning gear, it wouldn't matter until he puts enough table time in 14.1.

His brain is not wired to 14.1. It will take time. As you stated, 1000 trys sounds accurate for him eventhough, most other pros would need, um, well, a lifetime of trys.

This has the potential to be big and if it does we all need to say:

THANK YOU JOHN.....for breathing life back into 14.1!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope he does go for it.

Up until John did it, I don't think anybody put enough time into it to see if it was something that could be done.

Now that John has done it, the mystery is gone.

Kind of like the 4 minute mile or 60 hr in a season. Once somebody does it, everybody does it. Well, the hr records were drug enhanced, so...

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Come on now. The record stands for 60 years and suddenly Dennis is going to roll over JS's achievement. I think not. I got a lot of respect for DO's game but this is something different. Runs end for 100 different reasons that don't include missing the shot. Even a superior ball maker like Dennis will get stopped by one of these.

1. You got to execute 45 break shots and not:
-scratch, get hooked, have a ball frozen to you, no shot. kicked somewhere crazy,stuck to the pack, all the above and more.
2. Not end up straight on a breakout ball
3. Get some funny skid or kick while shooting 600+ shots
4. Miscue and other acts of god
5. etc

Now add the hundreds of hours of experience in playing the game and the percentages and ways to break open the stack that someone like John has (and Dennis doesn't). I wouldn't think a rotation player or any Filipino (based on what they have grown up on) would be my first pick. Possibly a Euro like Filler or Kaci. Even a super talented ball maker like Jayson Shaw I suspect doesn't have the mental makeup to keep his concentration up for that long (no disrespect intended).

Sprinters can be Long Distance runners but generally it doesn't translate like that in real life.

Kids this one is going to stand for a long time unless some sugar daddy puts a huge bounty on it being surpassed and even then it might not happen. Dennis O suddenly trying for a week is not going to give Mr 600 bed sweats.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I calculated that John was about 25% to run 100 from any open shot in the format he was playing. I think Dennis might be 30% or 35% on loose equipment based on his intensity and success at DCC. In order to run 600+, Dennis will need about 1000 starts from zero. I think that will take more than a week, and in the process Dennis will run 300+ 20 or 30 times.

Or, he might catch lightning in a bottle the first hour. John's 626 was a serious outlier seeing as how he has never run a 500 and you could expect about four 500s before his first 600, statistically.

I don't think the loose equipment assumption can be made here unless you know something I don't. On equipment of ordinary pro specifications, I think it's more like 20% to 25%, and at those odds, Dennis would likely have to commit months to the endeavor, a commitment I just can't imagine him making.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Denis could possibly do it, the real question is just how much time is he going to dedicate to it, and is he going to hunker down in one spot and play on one single table for months(maybe years). If someone pays him to hit marks, like 200 balls, 300balls, etc., probably would keep his interest longer, or if the money was high enough.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buffalo is great for pool!

I am guessing but I suspect that Buffalo is talking at least a few months before spending another $10,000. Unlike common claims, Buffalo put a big chunk of added money in the pot for the one pocket.

Unless he modifies one there isn't any super soft table at Buff's, or not one I have ever noticed. He did have one gold crown at the old place, I don't know if it made it to the new one or not. Everything else is Diamonds. One old snooker table but I am pretty sure it won't be used! Makes me wonder if Diamond might put up a little jelly if the record is set on their table?

While Dennis isn't vastly experienced at 14.1 to the best of my knowledge, he is very experienced at fifteen ball rotation. I would think pattern play would have to be pretty strong. A 14.1 coach might be scared up for Dennis too.

I think Dennis is unlikely to get the record without resorting to following john's example of cleaning and polishing the balls regularly during the run. The main reason for that is that the pile comes apart easier. I would also suggest new balls, they play a lot better than the old sets in a pool hall that get mixed accidentally over time.

I feel sure Dennis will get plenty of support and encouragement if it comes to pass that he makes a run at the record in the world famous Buffalo Billiards.

Hu

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody is coming close to the record on a deep
shelf Diamond. A ball will hang when least expected.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see John has made a post regarding this subject on Facebook. :)

Something to the affect that he thinks other pros could beat his record but it's better for pool if nobody does it soon.

And he's asking them not to try for at least a year.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see John has made a post regarding this subject on Facebook. :)

Something to the affect that he thinks other pros could beat his record but it's better for pool if nobody does it soon.

And he's asking them not to try for at least a year.

Until he's produced his video and sold it.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I said it before, it will take a 100k reward for a pro that is not in love with straight pool to try a concerted effort. Otherwise, they will stay in bed:) 10k or 20k won't cut it.

IMO:)

How much would it take to entice Ronnie O ? His break building skill in snooker relates.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until he's produced his video and sold it.

I thought that an odd request, makes sense.

john.jpg

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i disagree with john regarding the media aspect. this was just a novelty piece for them, it's highly unlikely that it's gonna result in a renewed media interest in pool. a record race chasing the 1000 mark might garner some attention though.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another World Record

That would be something, imagine the record being broken twice in the same month, lol

A man I knew broke a much more hotly contested world record, tie down calf roping. Quite an accomplishment! Well, for about two minutes until the very next cowboy broke his new world record. What are the odds of two people back to back in the same location breaking the record? Magic in the air that night!

Hu

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
My opinion; from the sidelines......

Break 400 at least once, and THEN go after 626.

I believe there are multiple pros who could do it; but WILL they chase it hard enough to do so?

You may not think think that Mr. 626 is the best pool player on earth, but; where was everyone else, all these years?

Give him his props. He did it, and he beat it by 100. Whether you like him or not, he did it. Why didn't someone else chase the record? Evidently, it meant more to him.

He's the man; until someone else beats 626 on video, or in front of 30+ witnesses.

Check please......

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I’m interested in the discussion regarding knowledge of straight pool being a serious factor in breaking the record. I think the concept of 14.1 is elegant and enticing in it’s simplicity; however, as far as I can tell, and my knowledge of straight is not extensive, the main priority in each rack is identifying the key ball and the break ball. There seem to be some subtleties in manipulating the break ball if one is not already in a favorable position, but beyond that, I don’t see any other obvious knowledge being a requirement in making high runs. I’ve watched John’s 300 run, and he discusses the break shot numerous times during the run. He seems to either go into the pack hard, or at a medium pace. The pack is identical every time, so I don’t see much analysis being needed in that regard. I suspect the biggest obstacle to a skilled player is having the fortune to avoid the numerous unfavorable outcomes as listed by a previous poster.

In no way am I attempting to minimize John Schmidt’s accomplishment. His focus, determination, and skill are absolutely admirable. I’m simply curious to hear some examples of straight pool knowledge that come only from years of playing straight pool. And that would prohibit a player like Dennis from accomplishing a similar feat if he were to apply himself.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i disagree with john regarding the media aspect. this was just a novelty piece for them, it's highly unlikely that it's gonna result in a renewed media interest in pool. a record race chasing the 1000 mark might garner some attention though.
I agree. Great feat to us that follow the game but in the "big picture" world of sports?? Popcorn fart in a snowstorm. Sad but true. Cornhole gets more press.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I’m interested in the discussion regarding knowledge of straight pool being a serious factor in breaking the record. I think the concept of 14.1 is elegant and enticing in it’s simplicity; however, as far as I can tell, and my knowledge of straight is not extensive, the main priority in each rack is identifying the key ball and the break ball. There seem to be some subtleties in manipulating the break ball if one is not already in a favorable position, but beyond that, I don’t see any other obvious knowledge being a requirement in making high runs. I’ve watched John’s 300 run, and he discusses the break shot numerous times during the run. He seems to either go into the pack hard, or at a medium pace. The pack is identical every time, so I don’t see much analysis being needed in that regard. I suspect the biggest obstacle to a skilled player is having the fortune to avoid the numerous unfavorable outcomes as listed by a previous poster.

In no way am I attempting to minimize John Schmidt’s accomplishment. His focus, determination, and skill are absolutely admirable. I’m simply curious to hear some examples of straight pool knowledge that come only from years of playing straight pool. And that would prohibit a player like Dennis from accomplishing a similar feat if he were to apply himself.

My thoughts as well.
All pool games are simply round objects on a flat surface, and how well you can manipulate them.
People like Dennis are on another level in this aspect.
If the man can put up a 260 on a tight table, in just a few tries, he is more than capable of beating this record.