Self racking table?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So has any table maker or such tried to make a self racking table? Like the balls would come down from a hopper or something and be racked then the rack would sink into the table or something? Here is like your 3rd million dollar idea free of charge. Your welcome

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So has any table maker or such tried to make a self racking table? Like the balls would come down from a hopper or something and be racked then the rack would sink into the table or something? Here is like your 3rd million dollar idea free of charge. Your welcome

I don't think it would sell. Because most lazy people don't play pool, they would rather watch TV and eat cheetos!

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Bowling won't release the patent. But if it dies before pool, there's a chance. I'd say invest!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Never sell. Us old farts don't care for such newfangled nonsense.

Somewhere in RCSD a bridge lies unattended.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
If you know a bit about bowling machines, you'd know how impossible a task this would be. These machines are huge, highly complex and take up A LOT of space. Not to mention that they are noisy and expensive to run. Even so, they fail pretty regularly, must be serviced by trained personell.

Problem 1. Ideally, the balls would come down from above. Somehow the "ballsetter" must be integrated into the lighting, or move the lighting aside when setting the balls down. The balls must therefore be transported up to a height above the lights. Would need a long tube, and only work if the table was close to a wall, otherwise the tube would be in the way. You could of course manually load the "ballsetter" but then, what would be the point? You'd need a very stable frame of some kind to hold heavy machinery safely above the heads of people playing. Even so, I'd hate to be the one responsible when some guy gets a 20 pound or more piece of metal in head from 6 feet above....

Ok, maybe the balls could come in from the side or the rail behind the racking area. Then you'd need very wide rails, that somehow open to let the triangle in onto the playing surface. Maybe the triangle would come from below and "flip" inside or something. Needless to say, it would be difficult to do, and lead to unsatisfactory table performance, not to mention that the cloth would be worn out, if the rack had to touch it.

A robotic "arm" spotting the balls would probably be the most practical solution. It could fold away when not used. It would be EXTREMELY expensive and complex. And would probably develop problems as the balls got worn, as well as the cloth.

Problem 2: Cost (electricity, maintainance, parts, the machine itself, extra requirements for the building itself). You want to play pool? That'll be 50 bucks an hour.

Problem 3: Safety. Moving parts near pool players and drunks. Nah, probably not going to be a problem:rolleyes: I just don't see any way, that either of these designs could be operated in a way that authorities would deem safe. You'd probably have to wear a hardhat and steel toed shoes to be allowed anywhere near them.

Problem 4: Racking performance. As we all know, racking tightly is very difficult to do, since the racking area develops wear, as does the balls. A machine would have to operate a bit like the Sardo rack, pressing the balls down, to have any chance of success. This in turn, increases cloth wear and eventually will make even the machine fail.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like a fine idea. I know I would get one for my house.

:rolleyes:
2352249.jpg

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know a bit about bowling machines, you'd know how impossible a task this would be. These machines are huge, highly complex and take up A LOT of space. Not to mention that they are noisy and expensive to run. Even so, they fail pretty regularly, must be serviced by trained personell.

Problem 1. Ideally, the balls would come down from above. Somehow the "ballsetter" must be integrated into the lighting, or move the lighting aside when setting the balls down. The balls must therefore be transported up to a height above the lights. Would need a long tube, and only work if the table was close to a wall, otherwise the tube would be in the way. You could of course manually load the "ballsetter" but then, what would be the point? You'd need a very stable frame of some kind to hold heavy machinery safely above the heads of people playing. Even so, I'd hate to be the one responsible when some guy gets a 20 pound or more piece of metal in head from 6 feet above....

Ok, maybe the balls could come in from the side or the rail behind the racking area. Then you'd need very wide rails, that somehow open to let the triangle in onto the playing surface. Maybe the triangle would come from below and "flip" inside or something. Needless to say, it would be difficult to do, and lead to unsatisfactory table performance, not to mention that the cloth would be worn out, if the rack had to touch it.

A robotic "arm" spotting the balls would probably be the most practical solution. It could fold away when not used. It would be EXTREMELY expensive and complex. And would probably develop problems as the balls got worn, as well as the cloth.

Problem 2: Cost (electricity, maintainance, parts, the machine itself, extra requirements for the building itself). You want to play pool? That'll be 50 bucks an hour.

Problem 3: Safety. Moving parts near pool players and drunks. Nah, probably not going to be a problem:rolleyes: I just don't see any way, that either of these designs could be operated in a way that authorities would deem safe. You'd probably have to wear a hardhat and steel toed shoes to be allowed anywhere near them.

Problem 4: Racking performance. As we all know, racking tightly is very difficult to do, since the racking area develops wear, as does the balls. A machine would have to operate a bit like the Sardo rack, pressing the balls down, to have any chance of success. This in turn, increases cloth wear and eventually will make even the machine fail.
You are a kind and generous man.

26.315789473% of his posts to date have been starting new threads.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm bored and furloughed from work. Give me a break. Give Justin a break too. His mom sounded really concerned for him.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Jaime,

Where do you live? Tell us about yourself.

How about you post just one new question a week?

Chris

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No rack needed. It's in the movie Pluto Nash. :grin::grin::grin:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#5 how will it know where to place the 8 ball / 9 ball

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy racking. Not a chore but break between frames. I’m also thinking about some patterns where I potted balls.

I also don’t like ball return tables for another reason...noise.

And another...I stick a paper towels into the bottom of each pockets again, dampens noise but also collects a touch of chalk from balls. After playing I just remove the paper towels and toss them. Keeps table cleaner.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaime,

Where do you live? Tell us about yourself.

How about you post just one new question a week?

Chris

I live in South Dakota. The only reason I told you guys that was because it was relevant I think. What does it matter if I am a 6 foot tall midget professional basketball player alien transvestite 3 year old. (kudos if you know what tv show I am referencing) (hint it is getting a live action Netflix remake) I am here to talk pool and such and maybe a few off topic things in the off topic area.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
South Dakota is cool, especially Sturgis or Deadwood. So is Shane. Why don't you add that to your profile.

Anything else? What's the lion? Mountain lion? Not making fun of you just curious. I don't bite, promise. (Well, I don't bite first at least).

Last edited: