Ripped off?

bmeek

Registered
Hey Nick, let's see how bad the roll is. Could it have possibly developed the warp in shipping, where it would be subject to different climates? I would think an initial inspection would have been sufficient to notice any damage or warp in the cue, telling the seller initially that you liked it would make them inclined to think you had buyer's remorse. Furthermore, this post helps nobody without telling us who the seller was.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yea the 3rd party who is qualified gives his opinion on the deal depending on what he is asked to do by both parties. then the buyer or seller can proceed from there and the 3rd party follows their wishes and its final.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue was described as dead straight. It is a big banana. Bananas! Big banana. Could be worse. A few stick pimps want it.as described. I might loose a couple two-three hundred. I have to ask. The logic here.of the seller you bought just what you wanted to. Forget he lied his azz off about the straight thing. And if you work for a living three days is normal return time period some even as long as 30 days. He agreed all the time . No problem let me know. Then oh your money? I don't have it.

Selling a cue as straight only to find out its warped is not good at all. I would tell the seller to take it back and if he didn't I would let everybody know so somebody else doesn't get ripped off.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I'm working with a guy who bought a cue from me after the shutdown and couldn't try it out.
Now that he is playing again, the cue is too heavy for him.

Playability is not necessarily something the seller has to worry about
The cue is exactly as described
My specs were clearly laid out

The cue is a little on the heavy side 19.5 to 20 oz. depending on which of 4 shafts selected.
If I can get him a different cue without it costing me anything, what the heck.
Don't think I would just refund the money at this point.

As far as Nicks warped cue, I highly doubt the cue warped during or after shipping.
I've heard that for years and feel it is a copout.
I have seen guys who don't notice a roll in the butt, but I have never had a cue warp during shipping
2 or 3 days isn't that long for a response from Nick, but the way people are with
money I like to contact them about 5 minutes after I unwrap the cue, maybe 10 minutes
especially if there are more than one cue.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Couple points:

Straight, as a term used in pool cues, is subjective. How many shafts have you turned on a lathe and they run 100% true. I have shafts from all over and none of them are 100% true. So, what was defined as "dead straight"? Does the shaft have a taper roll? Does it look like a dog's hind leg? Or, was it the butt that's "a banana"? A warped butt could be a much bigger problem. Or, it could just be the facing. You're not giving us enough details.

Secondly, the comment about buyers being cheap because they don't want to cover the 4% PayPal fees is bullshit. It's not the buyers responsibility to pay for the sellers fees for using PayPal as a service. If the seller is willing to lose my money/sale because they're too cheap to cover their own fees, that's their baggage. Furthermore, I then report the seller for trying to force those fees on me, and I hope they're banned from using PayPal.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m living in an alternate universe. I went to Value Village Tuesday. . Picked up 2 fishing reels and a quality billiards cue...total was $26 with 30% discount for being over 60 years of age. ...paid with a $20 bill.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the buyer decides how he is willing to pay for it. if the seller doesnt want that form of payment he stipulates what he will take. then they mutually decide from there.
same as if you go into any store or order on line.

each party can choose not to buy or sell its really that simple.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
coupla sellers over the years ...

the buyer decides how he is willing to pay for it. if the seller doesnt want that form of payment he stipulates what he will take. then they mutually decide from there.
same as if you go into any store or order on line.

each party can choose not to buy or sell its really that simple.

I have had a coupla sellers over the years that would only take friends and family even if I paid the fees. Both times I put on my boogie shoes!

Hu

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
thats a true sign you are going to get screwed. if they insist on f&f to play.
besides it marks them as a thief before you even start.

third party is the only way to go unless you have enough info to know your seller will ship after you have paid and the goods will be as described.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
What do you do as the seller when you sell a perfectly great cue, and the buyer lies through his teeth on a return, or worse yet, says he shipped it and sends you can empty box?

Because this happened to me, so anyone that wants to buy with the protection of not getting screwed needs to remember I want to sell with the protection of not being screwed.

Taking the chance should not be a one way street.

JV

third party is the only way to go unless you have enough info to know your seller will ship after you have paid and the goods will be as described.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What do you do as the seller when you sell a perfectly great cue, and the buyer lies through his teeth on a return, or worse yet, says he shipped it and sends you can empty box?

Because this happened to me, so anyone that wants to buy with the protection of not getting screwed needs to remember I want to sell with the protection of not being screwed.

Taking the chance should not be a one way street.

JV

Well JV this is called Mail Fraud, assume when you sent you had a receipt, that shows weight of the Cue in your outbound shipment.

Assume the Buyer who returned sent via some carried who could provide weight of package. If it was empty it did not weight much. Weight could be recovered via tracking number.

If the guy was a real crook he would add some weight like length of PVC to I create the weight of the return package, so it weight about the same as a Cue.

Most crooks do not think that well.

If the crook use USPS, Post Inspector could be of help because using mail for fraud.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is not entirely so , Some Sellers do the Friends and Family because they sold the item at a loss and do not want to lose anymore than they have to in fee's. You take a item that you have $ 125 in and you sell for $ 100 then you already lost $ 25 why would you want to lose anymore in fees. I have had sellers ask me to do this and have had zero issues with it. Now if you buying say a big money item , then I could see not wanting to. If you paying $ 500 or more the guy can afford to pay fees I would assume . Not everybody's a Thief , and that is not a true sign you are getting screwed.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
well give a date that returns no questions asked. if after that date no return for any reason.

if he ships you an empty box its up to him to deal with the delivery. it is always up to the person delivering the item to be responsible for it getting there.
if worried video the opening of the box.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
As someone that tried every legitimate way to go about the problem. Everything you wrote is utopic and not what happens. The post master wanted nothing to do with it, the cops wanted nothing to do with it, and let me tell you, the crook has the upper hand 99% of the time, if they want to go that route. Regardless if they are the buyer or seller.

The postmaster took my statement, I showed him the empty case, guy said the cue was in the case when I shipped it. It was a 4 lb package, they didn't care.

Here is how simple it is.. you go to the police, and file a police report. You're the buyer, say.. I sent him his cue and now he is not giving me my money back. They do the report as a favor to YOU. Send the report to Paypal, and they are automatically the victor in the dispute because now its a "legal" proceeding and they don't care at that point.

The seller is naked as a jaybird, all the time. Not sometime, all the time.

JV

Well JV this is called Mail Fraud, assume when you sent you had a receipt, that shows weight of the Cue in your outbound shipment.

Assume the Buyer who returned sent via some carried who could provide weight of package. If it was empty it did not weight much. Weight could be recovered via tracking number.

If the guy was a real crook he would add some weight like length of PVC to I create the weight of the return package, so it weight about the same as a Cue.

Most crooks do not think that well.

If the crook use USPS, Post Inspector could be of help because using mail for fraud.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
f&f is a courtesy from paypal. and is free.

if you use it when selling something you are cheating pay pal and you cannot justify doing that because you lost money on a cue. if you do it you are starting off the transaction as a thief or cheat whatever you want to call it..

so if you are willing on either side to cheat paypal you are maybe willing to cheat the other person you are dealing with. or do you have some principle of cheating some and its okay and some you dont. and is the buyer supposed to know who you will cheat and who you wont.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
As someone that tried every legitimate way to go about the problem. Everything you wrote is utopic and not what happens. The post master wanted nothing to do with it, the cops wanted nothing to do with it, and let me tell you, the crook has the upper hand 99% of the time, if they want to go that route. Regardless if they are the buyer or seller.

The postmaster took my statement, I showed him the empty case, guy said the cue was in the case when I shipped it. It was a 4 lb package, they didn't care.

Here is how simple it is.. you go to the police, and file a police report. You're the buyer, say.. I sent him his cue and now he is not giving me my money back. They do the report as a favor to YOU. Send the report to Paypal, and they are automatically the victor in the dispute because now its a "legal" proceeding and they don't care at that point.

The seller is naked as a jaybird, all the time. Not sometime, all the time.

JV

Well as I like to say there are battles you can win, battles you try & win, and battles you can never win. So the unwinnable ones leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Thirty years of self employment I got took advantage of several times. One time it was 30K in royalties I earned, but never say, agent/agency stole em. Other time it was slow slow pay, or just never got paid for work done.

Remember everyone I got short changed on, I remember who , and remember how much I was in RED.

Some people just suck, most people are good people, the good one you seldom recall, because they were smooth transactions.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
f&f is a courtesy from paypal. and is free.

if you use it when selling something you are cheating pay pal and you cannot justify doing that because you lost money on a cue. if you do it you are starting off the transaction as a thief or cheat whatever you want to call it..

so if you are willing on either side to cheat paypal you are maybe willing to cheat the other person you are dealing with. or do you have some principle of cheating some and its okay and some you dont. and is the buyer supposed to know who you will cheat and who you wont.

Tap tap tap

POOLPLYR1111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ripped off

I have no problem sending payment via PayPal F&F to reputable AZ members

I have done it twice this month and actually suggested it so that the seller would not get hit with additional fees.

Someone like classiccues (JV) who has been in the industry for decades would certainly get that respect as would a lot of other AZ'ers.

Nick good luck in resolving your situation

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a cue for 2K. I told the seller it was pretty but I would look at the next day. The next day I tell the seller the cue is not right. The third day I tell him I am sending your cue back. He says he refuses to refund my money. Has he committed fraud by selling me a cue that is not as described and refusing to refund my money? Telling me that is what he paid and tough sh&t.
Regardless of whether new or used, for a cue in the 2K price range you are apparently ordering online, sight unseen, you should have clearly confirmed with the seller in advance of the purchase as to what their return policy is if you are not happy with the cue. From your post it sounds like you may have failed to do that? Thus, I don’t think you can make the automatic assumption that you should get a full refund – sorry.

Last edited: