Kinister 1 hour workout

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I've bought some of his DVD many years ago – and loved watching them (thanks Bert for being such an inspiration on your tapes).

A very great guy from the US, who stayed here in Germany in 2007 for 6 months, came to our club for this period of time and we became friends!

I gave the DVDs to him, cause we've been talking about all these drills from Bert.
He tried to draw the shots down with a pencil (and got mad with his jumble of bits of paper right after the 6th or 7th shot)…

…so I layouted the 25 shots for him my way. He enjoyed them and wanted the PDFs to continue his workout while he was leaving and heading back to California.
Since that time I've kept them on my Computer and never deleted them.

While being asked by another friendly AZer :wave: to upload what I got, I decided to share them with all of you…
…so that's the story behind them – and here they are:

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good job. Last year I watched the video many times and made my own drawings.

This is Bert's "60 Minute Workout", which is video #1 in his collection of nearly 100.

It definitely will still benefit anyone to watch the video because he shoots each shot and explains a lot about the techniques.

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FANTASTIC!

I've been using some of these since viewing several tapes earlier this year (and as other seem to as well) grew a bit tired of diagramming ... Chris this is SO helpful ... You're a great asset to the forum and the game of pool!!

GLAD TIDINGS! To one-and-all!

PS: I struggled with shot #5 today on a 9' table ... generating enough top/inside English is not easy. I'm wondering about my tip. I mean ... I tried at least 20 times and maybe got it right twice. I'm using a (factory installed ) Triangle (or LePro??) on an LTD (fairly expensive when brand new) McDermott 19OZ & factory taper & factory solid maple. The cue is probably at least five years old and in GREAT shape ... bought used of course since I could only afford about 1/2 list price. The tip has a nickle shape and I scuff (or in reality "sand") with the cheapo Walmart nickel/dime shaper and have the good fortune to have Predator chalk which outperforms the major brand used at most major halls. I also miscue on shot #2 more than I might like (to do it the way BK does is hard ... he makes it look ... well ... "fairly do-able.") It's nowhere near as "easy" (for me) and is actually very difficult (for me) to execute consistently ... not so much (necessarily) the accuracy on shot #2 as the power-draw is my foible. Once again (totally UN-answer-able --- as of tonight) my "concerns" about the tip crop up ... hate to blame my own bridge/stroke which is closed/comfortable UNTIL I "rule out" the tip ... blaming ANYTHING besides myself is almost instinctive. I'm really more concerned about the "fix" than the "problem" - unless it IS me (which is certainly possible Lol! though it's not funny) ... I can draw many shots full table ... but with that much separating the white & object balls is driving me power draw crazy. "Dear Abbey ... Or "Dear Willie Mosconi... or whatever

Last edited:

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FANTASTIC!

I've been using some of these since viewing several tapes earlier this year (and as other seem to as well) grew a bit tired of diagramming ... Chris this is SO helpful ... You're a great asset to the forum and the game of pool!!

GLAD TIDINGS! To one-and-all!

PS: I struggled with shot #5 today on a 9' table ... generating enough top/right English is NOT easy. I'm wondering about my tip. I mean ... I tried at LEAST 20 times and maybe got it right twice. I'm using a (factory installed ) Triangle (or LePro?) on an LTD (fairly expensive when brand new) McDermott 19OZ & factory taper & factory solid maple. The cue is probably at least five years old and in GREAT shape. I bought used of course since I could only afford about 1/2 list. The tip has a nickle shape and I buff (or in reality "sand") with the cheapo Walmart nickel/dime shaper and have the good fortune to have Predator chalk which outperforms the major brand used at most major halls. I also miscue on shot #2 more than I might like (to do it the way BK does is HARD. He makes it look ... well ... "do-able.") It's nowhere near as "easy" (for me) and is actually VERY difficult (for me) to execute consistently ... not so much (necessarily) the accuracy as the power-draw. Once again (totally UN-answer-able) "concerns" about the tip ... I hate to blame my own bridge/stroke which is closed/comfortable UNTIL I "rule out" the tip. Like many humans blaming ANYTHING besides myself is almost instinctive. I'm really more concerned about the "fix" than the "problem" - unless it IS me (which is certainly possible) ... I can draw many shots full table ... but with that much separating the cue & object is driving me power draw crazy. Dear Abbey ...

Paul,

Shot #5 is fairly easy – I think you complicated the shot a bit. Don't use right english with follow – it will cause the ball come out of the 1st cushion in a false angle. Right english with draw will cause the ball to come out of the 2nd cushion in a false angle.
So JUST apply right spin and use a soft stroke – you'll see the ball will do the work (you don't have to do the work)!! :wink:
Shot #13 in comparison is more difficult, cause you have to apply some real running english!

Shot #2 is somehow more tough on a 9ft table – you have to have a true running table. The only hint that I have is to look at last at the cueball. Rolling this ball (like Bert does) you have to give yourself the best chances of hitting this ball perfectly in the middle (no left or right spin)!

Shot #9 is a toughy!! Bert is telling it: "you have to get the cue and yourself out of the way…" :rolleyes:

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Y-E-S!
Bet I nail it the first time tomorrow, Lol!

"Shot #2 is somehow more tough on a 9ft table – you have to have a true running table. The only hint that I have is to look at last at the cueball. Rolling this ball (like Bert does) you have to give yourself the best chances of hitting this ball perfectly in the middle (no left or right spin)!"
Y-E-S, today I found myself "experimenting" with sighting beings that seemed ... well... it just "came up naturally on the shot." Sighting (or rather "last focus") seemed to be a bit of ... a quandary.

Thanks so kindly! Great thread, great help. Chris, I nominate you for today's MVP Lol

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert kinister 60 minute workout is best video there is if You Watch next vid of Series too..
(I think it Was Secret knowledge of 8- and 9-Ball) there bert only talk.. he change Your thinking to Better view....
..after that that 60 minute workout start kicking Your Game to next level..
Nice work. My new student have 60 minute workout too and asked if we could draw diagrams of shots... :)

mojarraman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've made the PDFs for the 25 shots and some more, download here:
http://ge.tt/3lvQevw1

Good job alanvo ... excellent idea.
Thanks Kindly

PS: I'm finally starting to see the real beauty of AZB. And YES I've ALWAYS been proud to be an American ... ever since I got my teeth fixed at least.
In fact, I'm starting to see the beauty in all cyber-tech. Was thinking we did not live in the Information Age ... but rather the Age Of TMI. Whups I've shared too much already. Still working on the "less is more" concept and "work smarter not harder" nearly saved my life. What little was worth saving anyhow.

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I don't want to come off as annoying but can someone tell me what English exactly to use on all of these shots? Or should I practice all with various English?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I don't want to come off as annoying but can someone tell me what English exactly to use on all of these shots? Or should I practice all with various English?

IMHO experimenting to find the right english and speed is a big part of the lesson. The journey is more important than the destination. :) Also, most of the shots appear to have a couple of viable solutions.

Here is a video of Bert showing the solution to Shot #3. Interesting because it's not what you would think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ-xWRVDP2w

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've made the PDFs for the 25 shots and some more, download here:
http://ge.tt/3lvQevw1

I see, you have all my shots and runouts uploaded to one site!
I could have given you the real PDFs, the are bigger in size AND resolution…

Well, the way of the cueball is shown on every shot!
And because everyone has a little bit of a different stroke, you have to find out, what kind of english and draw/follow you have to apply!

HELPING CUEBALL: I've scripted the cueball with the white circles for just this question! You can fill out THE circle on the cueball, where you get the best and most similar results!
The blue line simulates the cloth!

Hope this is answering you question!!!
Have fun and shoot straight… :thumbup: