Pocket lathe

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I have read that the pocket lathes will put dings and scratches on your cue shaft?

Does anyone use the pocket lathe and what is your opinion about how it works?

(I have been thinking that I would like to have something a little more precise than placing the end of the butt of my cue on the floor and angling it so that I can roll it on the butt, while using last4ever tip tool to shape or maintain my tip.) This technique works ok for me but I am thinking I might get more uniform shape by using something else. Any ideas besides setting an appointment to seeing my tip repair guy? We don't have one at our pool room and while I don't mind having a tip installed professionally, I can't stand to have a tip repair guy to shape my tip or remove mushrooms, etc.

Thanks,
JoeyA

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a set and have not have them mark up a shaft. Good for a quick touch up.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I did not know what one of those things were so I Googled it and saw that Pool Dawg had them for sale.
I don't know, Joey, carrying one of those around in your pocket might impress the ladies, but I'd think it could get a little uncomfortable after awhile. And, just by looking at the picture, I can see that if there were burrs on any of those steady rest wheels, then a scratch, or nick, could arise.
How about a god old reliable Willard shaper, instead? :smile:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shape

Unless you like a shape other than a nickel or dime buy a Willard's as mentioned. Just take a thick soft bath towel and place it on your kitchen counter or a table. Roll your shaft back and forth with tip protruding over counter with Williard's doing the work. Then check diameter with built in template/checker to see if you have a full radius.

If you like a consistent shape include this into your cue maintenance routine depending how much you play and as needed. You would be surprised how fast your tip looses its shape. I have bought many tip shapers but the Willard's is superior to all and made with carbide grit so they will last you a very along time. They are about $10.

Have a good day,

-Kat

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have read that the pocket lathes will put dings and scratches on your cue shaft?

Does anyone use the pocket lathe and what is your opinion about how it works?

(I have been thinking that I would like to have something a little more precise than placing the end of the butt of my cue on the floor and angling it so that I can roll it on the butt, while using last4ever tip tool to shape or maintain my tip.) This technique works ok for me but I am thinking I might get more uniform shape by using something else. Any ideas besides setting an appointment to seeing my tip repair guy? We don't have one at our pool room and while I don't mind having a tip installed professionally, I can't stand to have a tip repair guy to shape my tip or remove mushrooms, etc.

Thanks,
JoeyA
Pocket lathe works as advertised, but its best use is to prop up a cue so you can take nice pictures of it!

Freddie <~~~ owns two sets

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I use a 4evertiptool and simply place it on the ground and rotate the tip in the shaping area; kind of like you're starting a fire with a stick, but slowly. Works great and works anywhere. I've tried doing it on a countertop or my lap, but putting on the ground is the most accurate because all you need to do is keep the shaft generally perpendicular to the floor.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I use a 4evertiptool and simply place it on the ground and rotate the tip in the shaping area; kind of like you're starting a fire with a stick, but slowly. Works great and works anywhere. I've tried doing it on a countertop or my lap, but putting on the ground is the most accurate because all you need to do is keep the shaft generally perpendicular to the floor.

I don't like the idea of grinding it like that because I fear the layers might come loose. (But I may have to try it)

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Thanks Dave-Kat.
JoeyA

Unless you like a shape other than a nickel or dime buy a Willard's as mentioned. Just take a thick soft bath towel and place it on your kitchen counter or a table. Roll your shaft back and forth with tip protruding over counter with Williard's doing the work. Then check diameter with built in template/checker to see if you have a full radius.

If you like a consistent shape include this into your cue maintenance routine depending how much you play and as needed. You would be surprised how fast your tip looses its shape. I have bought many tip shapers but the Willard's is superior to all and made with carbide grit so they will last you a very along time. They are about $10.

Have a good day,

-Kat

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the idea of grinding it like that because I fear the layers might come loose. (But I may have to try it)

JoeyA

Hey Joey...I'd suggest the fires starter method, too. I've been doing that with an ultimate tip tool for years and never pulled layers loose with it. What you can do so you don't have the concern of any layer separation is do this with the whole cue put together. In that way you use the weight of the cue and only very very light pressure to get it shaped. The thing that can pulls layers off is that porper burnisher if you're not careful in keeping the sides of the tip wet enough. I ripped a moori in two with one of those but never saw any damage with the above method on a shaper.

Good shooting to you!

Kevin

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
bigger pockets

Nothing replaces a lathe.................................................................................

Those are not lathes ........

If you want a real pocket lathe you need bigger pockets my friend .

They make a great prop for cue photos . Or that's what I use the ones I have for.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing replaces a lathe.................................................................................

Those are not lathes ........

If you want a real pocket lathe you need bigger pockets my friend .

They make a great prop for cue photos . Or that's what I use the ones I have for.

Sexy. What Ferrule material?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

JoeyA

I was worried about that the first few times I did it too. But I've done it dozens of times with Kamui, UltraSkin and Samarsa tips and not had a problem. I've done it gently, and I've done it aggressively, without any delamination.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I was worried about that the first few times I did it too. But I've done it dozens of times with Kamui, UltraSkin and Samarsa tips and not had a problem. I've done it gently, and I've done it aggressively, without any delamination.

I'll give it a try.
Thanks,
JoeyA