Most underrated cuemakers?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Underrated or Under Unknown by the general population.
Most of the Builders on this thread are well known. IMO, If you're looking of a custom cue.

If you're looking for a sort of unknown that builds incredible pool cues.

Josh Treadway Treadway Cues

Those in the know, know. He's not underrated. He's just not known by those not having the time to know, or the money or desire for that kind of quality.
Best young maker alive. Does unreal work. Nice guy to boot.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, the 06' Coker I own never going anywhere. Have checked out and played with Treadways a few friends own and they are very nice. Anybody have one they would let go?

Have a good safe Holiday Weekend

-Kat,

Tom Coker and Josh Treadway.......

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
i feel really good about the maker i now use that i stumbled upon by accident really

my cues directly titliest conversion is machined very well, NO rolls and a hell of a quality for the price compared to others
plays really good imo, so much that its cured my cue addiction and his is all i will use

i cant say enough about davids work as well as what a swell guy he is to know

2nd the notion and up the ante a few spots. Dave Brainard is the bomb. My Titlist conversion is all I use now, for the most part.

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Coker and Josh Treadway.......

I purchased my first Tom Coker custom cue in 1989. Sine then, he has refinished several cues for me as well as made new shafts and performed various repair work along the way. Each time his work quality was consistently excellent. He always quoted me accurate estimates and delivered when promised, with only a few minor exceptions.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's AZ's monthly thread to plug your favorite cuemaker, this time underrated even if one of his cues is for sale every week here!

Folks...you gotta try Rick Schickenjanskilonis cues, if you can even find one. They hit out of this world good! Get on his order list before it's multiple years!

Leadcask

King of the Curbstop
High End: $$$ William (Woody) Woodsworth.

Mid Range: $$ Jerry Olivier Cues.

Last edited:

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
JoeyinCali and Mike Johnson (Jensen cues) would be good choices of guys who make outstanding playing cues that you don't hear much about.

Joey's cues are hard to come by on the secondary market, think I've seen 3 for sale in the last year which is more than normal.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
It's AZ's monthly thread to plug your favorite cuemaker, this time underrated even if one of his cues is for sale every week here!

Folks...you gotta try Rick Schickenjanskilonis cues, if you can even find one. They hit out of this world good! Get on his order list before it's multiple years!

IMO too many dont understand what "underrated" in this situation means...

IMO it means a maker who is VERY WELL known AND is/was VERY active building cues that does not receive the amount of recognition they should.

Using that criteria as a guide, the "most" underrated IMHO are Pete Tascarella, Joe Gold, and Bill Stroud.

Pete's "build" including fit and finish are at least on par with George and Gus and his knowledge is extensive yet his "due", though I think in the future is inevitable, is underated.

Joe's inovation, design, and as well precision he brought to cue making, has made an enormous impact on the industry and on makers that followed but is muted by many who just dont realize his contributions.

Bill, being an early quality custom pioneer, revolutionized cue building with his design as well the use of technology, which so many now use today, to produce his amazing work.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me, "under rated" means someone who makes a cue that is just as "good" as a "top rated" maker, but hasn't been around long enough to establish their name or they don't make enough cues to be very well known.

To me, names mean nothing...other than I know who they are that they normally do quality work.

I'd be just as happy buying a "no name" maker's cue if I knew they were capable of producing the same quality of a cue. Especially, if they were charging way, way less.

I have a Titlist that was converted by Mike Pancerny in Detroit and I don't think anyone could have done any better. I'd never heard of him until I bought the Titlist off someone in Detroit and they mentioned that Mike could convert it for me.

I've heard Mike's cues are very good quality and that they play well, but I've never seen one in person.

tikkler, on here, raved about the one he bought off Mike.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
To me, "under rated" means someone who makes a cue that is just as "good" as a "top rated" maker, but hasn't been around long enough to establish their name or they don't make enough cues to be very well known.

To me, names mean nothing...other than I know who they are that they normally do quality work.

I'd be just as happy buying a "no name" maker's cue if I knew they were capable of producing the same quality of a cue. Especially, if they were charging way, way less.

I have a Titlist that was converted by Mike Pancerny in Detroit and I don't think anyone could have done any better. I'd never heard of him until I bought the Titlist off someone in Detroit and they mentioned that Mike could convert it for me.

I've heard Mike's cues are very good quality and that they play well, but I've never seen one in person.

tikkler, on here, raved about the one he bought off Mike.

Before you can be underrated you have to be around long enough and have an extensive body if work to consider to not be thought of to be so...Meaning you have to be known by many but not recognised. Those not around long enough to establish their work have not been around long enough to be underrated IMHO.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before you can be underrated you have to be around long enough and have an extensive body if work to consider to not be thought of to be so...Meaning you have to be known by many but not recognised. Those not around long enough to establish their work have not been around long enough to be underrated IMHO.

I don't think Tesla has been around as long as Ford or Chevy or produced anywhere near as many cars.

Which makers are better known?

Is Tesla under rated or over rated?