National Amateur Pool Association (NAPA)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member

Attachments

• clippy.jpg
    clippy.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,495

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Are you looking to join a league, organize a league in your area, or league shopping?

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you looking to join a league, organize a league in your area, or league shopping?

Neither. I just ran across the site & never heard anything about them. Their format does look interesting though, so I was curious as if anyone is playing in it or heard anything about it. Looks like a new establishment to me.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds to me like they are trying to copy Mark Griffin's USA Pool League. They make an awful lot of big promises, for a brand new organization. For example, how much are fees to play, and what is the specific payback (since they are touting payback as a big benefit). National Championship where, when, and paid for to get there, or not. Lots of unanswered questions from looking at the site. Who knows...it could be legit. I'd guess they have way less than 100 teams nationwide (and probably more like 50), as of now. We'll see what happens.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Bump: Nobody knows anything about this?

Last edited:

bboxgrinder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts pretty much as well Scott, as to why I was curious because I have never seen that before.

Goldy

Beating The Internet
Silver Member
I recently purchased a license with NAPA this month for 2 Ohio Counties, and I must say they have solved some many key frustrations that taunt members of other National Amateur League Organizations.

One of which is score keeping. Very Simple. Wins/Losses with calculations on how you beat the person in skill level determined race. Skill Levels range from 0-100+, and as other skilled games other than pool, you're skill level will change every match you play. No innings or ball counting. THANK FREAKING GOD!

There is no annual or perpetual sanction fee's. Once you play your first match and pay that night's league dues, you're a lifetime member with online obtainable statistics for ever.

LO requirements are very straight forward.. $.50 to NAPA, $2.50 retained by the LO for local prize money. $5.00 min per week per player required. So at worst, LO grosses $2.00 per player per week. But nightly league dues typically are $6 to $7 a night per player so this gross number could be higher in certain places. And many LO's will put 50% of the gross for trophies/shirts/ administrative costs typically, unless they're behind on their mortgage. (j/k)

$500.00 per county licensing fee, with a very clean straightforward contract.

They only offer a National Singles Championship at the moment which will be held this Memorial Day Weekend 2011 in Hot Springs, AK.. They are hoping for a National Team Event in 2012, and I'm sure this depends on how well the league does in the next 12 months. Vegas? Atlantic City?

Another key element in their movement is to eliminate the dragged out regional or national qualifier tournaments a LO holds in other organizations, A frustration that has the attention of many weary amateur players across the board.

NAPA Leagues will be the most affordable to date, and more profitable for the LO at the same time.

What's also crazy, is they take care of all the score-keeping. Enabling the LO to concentrate on their licensed areas and easily promote the league. What a great idea to utilize the technologies that other organizations are not using today!

I'm part of the team.. So I will be personally adding the the success of the league. I think they have a very good concept that could rapidly succeed other leagues in an area just because they eliminate many current frustrations. As we all know how small the pool playing community is, we will be seeing a lot more about NAPA Leagues in the near future.

Zach Goldsmith, LO
Buckeye NAPA Pool League of Central Ohio
614-679-5836
zach@asordic.com

Last edited:

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
I recently purchased a license with NAPA this month for 2 Ohio Counties, and I must say they have solved some many key frustrations that taunt members of other National Amateur League Organizations....

Zach Goldsmith, LO
Buckeye NAPA Pool League of Central Ohio
614-679-5836
zach@asordic.com

Zack,

The website was not really clear on format from what I could tell, could you help me understand the format for 8 ball and 9 ball.

Is it a match format (ie., race to X versus same person) or round robin format; everyone plays each other from the other team?

If a match format, what are the races to in 8-ball and 9-ball?

How many people play each night?

I looked at the website but really couldn't find answers to these questions.

Thanks for your help.

Goldy

Beating The Internet
Silver Member
JDB, They offer 8,9,and 10 ball formats with either 3,4,or 5 man teams. As most organizations you can apply your local by-laws and allow 3 substitutes on the roster, traditionally.

Match formats are a race format with the same person each night., Races can be as high as a 8-2 race, depending on skill level differences..

3,4, or 5 matches each night depending on the LO who runs their area. I'm pretty sure many territories will run the 5 person format.

All formats use the same score keeping format. I'll add a sample score sheet to this reply.

Hope this helps.

Zack,

The website was not really clear on format from what I could tell, could you help me understand the format for 8 ball and 9 ball.

Is it a match format (ie., race to X versus same person) or round robin format; everyone plays each other from the other team?

If a match format, what are the races to in 8-ball and 9-ball?

How many people play each night?

I looked at the website but really couldn't find answers to these questions.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• example_score_sheet.jpg
    example_score_sheet.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,403
Reactions: JDB

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are a low handicap, have no intention of ever improving your game and think the only thing wrong with pool is you are not getting enough of a spot, then this league is for you. Napa pool league is to pool as strip mining is to landscaping. It is based on an Equilizer system with the loser of every match going down and the winner going up. Any above average player ends up as a master player because the good player shy away from 10-2 races. It is for the 3s and 4s from a system like APA. Teams full of 3 s and 4s are winning sessions week after week. They are winning year end tournaments.

The league handicap system is like bowling except instead of getting 90% of your handicap you get more like 130%. The weakest player is often a big favorite in the match against a better player. It's run mostly by weaker players for the benifit of weaker players.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
If you are a low handicap, have no intention of ever improving your game and think the only thing wrong with pool is you are not getting enough of a spot, then this league is for you. Napa pool league is to pool as strip mining is to landscaping. It is based on an Equilizer system with the loser of every match going down and the winner going up. Any above average player ends up as a master player because the good player shy away from 10-2 races. It is for the 3s and 4s from a system like APA. Teams full of 3 s and 4s are winning sessions week after week. They are winning year end tournaments.

The league handicap system is like bowling except instead of getting 90% of your handicap you get more like 130%. The weakest player is often a big favorite in the match against a better player. It's run mostly by weaker players for the benifit of weaker players.

As always, truth is a subjective thing. I play in a NAPA league and really enjoy it. Nothing you describe here happens in my league (and no, I'm not an operator, just a player.)

Don't blame the league for actions of the players. Systems are only perfect if you keep the people out of it.

GoBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As always, truth is a subjective thing. I play in a NAPA league and really enjoy it. Nothing you describe here happens in my league (and no, I'm not an operator, just a player.)

Don't blame the league for actions of the players. Systems are only perfect if you keep the people out of it.

Let me guess. You are 70 or below in handicap. right? I am not really saying anything bad about the league. It is designed for the low handicaps. What they don't know, and prolly don't care, is that in order to get better at pool they must play better players and the good players are not playing in this league for the most part.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started 5 weeks ago in Colorado Springs. The league I play in is either 8,9, or 10 ball chosen by winner of lag. Our team is 3 people who are APA 7's. Different SL for each game and bonus points to help keep sandbagging out, ie break & run, rack less match, and shutout. We are running over league but once our SL go up high enough we are gonna be giving way to big of a spot. Not in for long haul though just until BCA starts in October.

It's different in several ways and I think overall it's good. I'm not concerned about payout % or nationals so I did no homework nor asked no questions regarding these things so unsure of legitimacy

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i just finished my 2nd session of napa. in my area everything you posted is exactly the opposite.

a lot of the players here are former apa masters or people that do not like the slop in apa.

as for the handicap going up if you win and going down if you lose, that is the way it should be. what do you want ? stay the same handicap while you win every week ?

a weak team does not have a chance in our league. i just looked up the top 3 finishers for last session. here are the teams handicaps.

1st place.
57,70,75,94 121

2nd place

3rd place

if you will notice the 1st place team had 4 players at 70 or above. the 2nd place team had 4 players at 70 or above. the 3rd place team had only 2 players at 70 or above.

there is no way a team of apa 3s and 4s got a chance of winning this league. for the record our lo is an apa master . ranked a 7 in 8 ball and an 8 in 9 ball.

i cannot understand why you have the viewpoint you do about napa. are you getting beat by 3s and 4s you feel you should not lose to ?