Breaking on a budget...

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
I know there are a few good break cues out there and I'd love to have something like a Predator, but I am on a budget. The most I can spend on a breaker right now is $150... $200 if I can be REALLY convinced. But, with bills and the sort, that extra $50 dollars is quite useful and needed to me. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good one? Also, any $150 or less with phenolic tips on them?

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had great success with the J & J Jump/Break #2731. It took a little getting used to, with the phenolic tip, but it hammers it out with the best of em. Maybe I one from a good batch, but if you got a shop or hall nearby that will let you try one out, I'd highly recommend it.

Formula7

The Guerilla
Silver Member
I've had great success with the J & J Jump/Break #2731. It took a little getting used to, with the phenolic tip, but it hammers it out with the best of em. Maybe I one from a good batch, but if you got a shop or hall nearby that will let you try one out, I'd highly recommend it.

WHOA! There are some GREAT prices on that site! THANKS A BILLION!

Even the case I want is there and it's under $100!!! WOOT! Lol.

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHOA! There are some GREAT prices on that site! THANKS A BILLION!

Even the case I want is there and it's under $100!!! WOOT! Lol.

If you are on a budget I know a couple of people that went out and purchased a cheap/not so cheap shooting cue at a pawn shop and had a phenolic tip put on the cue. Get one that you can adjust the weight on like a Joss (around 100 bucks at a pawn here in FL) that way you can set it the way you like. You would be surprised at the difference just the phenolic tip will make.

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you can buy a brand new fury jump/break for 140 which i really liked there cue. if you can find a used diveney then i would get one. i think it breaks harder and jumps easier than any other cue i have ever used

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i should post that i didnt like the tip on the fury originally but i changed it to a g-10 tip/ferrule and that definitely helped

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
I know there are a few good break cues out there and I'd love to have something like a Predator, but I am on a budget. The most I can spend on a breaker right now is $150... $200 if I can be REALLY convinced. But, with bills and the sort, that extra $50 dollars is quite useful and needed to me. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good one? Also, any $150 or less with phenolic tips on them?

You want cheap but good?

Take any sneaky pete (you can easily get them on eBay for $30, delivery included) http://shop.ebay.com/items/__sneaky...dZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14?_stpos=60068&_fcid=1&gbr=1

and simply install a White Diamond tip on it.

Breaks strong.

Flex

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
I have the J&J break cue and the 3x6 bag for 4 years now, and I love them.

Someone here on the forum regulary sells J&J breakcue's at a very good discount ! do a search and contact him.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I bought an Action j/b cue for $68 from Billiards 911 (formerly BeadsandBilliards.com) to go in my "drunk" case (don't ask :embarrassed2:). It's got a phenolic tip/ferrule. It's made with Zebrawood. I haven't tried to jump with it yet but it breaks as good as my Jerico Stinger. I could recommend this cue as an on-a-budget choice, at least for a break cue.

Maniac

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I bought a Billiard Warehouse house brand jump break for well under $150, and it came with phenolic tip. I think it breaks very well, although I don't have much to compare it to.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Viking Fat Daddy break cue that was about $170 and I really like it a lot. I also just won a McDermott Stinger j/b which I'll probably get this week. Seems like a really nice option for about $150 if you need a j/b and not just a break. Then again, the J&J are supposed to be pretty nice and the price is certainly right.

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
I just got a panther J/B and it breaks like a ton. Though I never broke a rack with a nice breaker like a BK2 or a nice jumper like a lomax, but the panther satisfy my requirement as a rookie

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
just buy a house cue and put a hard tip on it. leave it at your poolroom or in your car. it will be good enough and you get to save that money that is tight right now for you. its not the time to cut yourself short. almost all the improvement you can make in breaking is in technique not equipment.

touchdowntodd

Milwaukee, lets play!
Silver Member
get a J&J, several people on here sellin for around $60 shipped new...

im waiting to save up for one, but need a new set of balls first