Mechanical Rotation Cue (MEROC) aiming system by Salux

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Salux, thanks for another aiming system. I think most folks understand you're not using the pocket during the aiming process except as a way to establish the 'class' of shot to select. Some people don't though, obviously. I've tried your system and it worked for me. I use a similar method when the balls are within a diamond and aiming systems start to break down. I prefer using another pivoting technique but yours is fun to play with.

For pj and bc, here's how to pivot: (use a 10* cut, baby steps first)

When the stick is on the line BD, align your body with the stick, your left hand making a bridge. Imagine you're going to shoot down line BD. Using point B as a pivot point rotate your body at the hips or waist or both until you're aligned straight through CCB. Don't change your hand to body position, keep in 'shooting' position. You'll need to move your feet slightly as the stick swings toward or away from your body to maintain your stance and balance. Surprise! You get a cut angle. Inconceivable, but it's how pivoting actually works. Put your pencils down and go to the table please, you may learn something new.

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks Vorpal. You make my day. You got the spirit of the MEROC aiming.
Yes, BC21, I know that you can already determine the line to the center of the CB from the standing position after the alignment, but all the mechanical movement legitimates the correct shot. I dont know how to explain but the methodical approach to the shot with the same movement from left to right due to the rear hand pivot is consistent!!
If you put directly the cue on the shot line, it doesnt work 100%.
Please see my videos on Youtube channel.
Salux

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Many thanks Vorpal. You make my day. You got the spirit of the MEROC aiming.
Yes, BC21, I know that you can already determine the line to the center of the CB from the standing position after the alignment, but all the mechanical movement legitimates the correct shot. I dont know how to explain but the methodical approach to the shot with the same movement from left to right due to the rear hand pivot is consistent!!
If you put directly the cue on the shot line, it doesnt work 100%.
Please see my videos on Youtube channel.
Salux

I understand, make it part of the shot routine in order to develop a consistent approach/method each time. Good idea.

wvmoto186

Registered
I tried the system as you have described. It works, but I think is a " quick" or "cheat" method to 90/90 aiming. this system has some holes in it for straighter shots and for your shots over 60 degree., and balls when they are closer than a diamond a part, .I believe if your going to rely on a system it needs to be complete from beginning to end.. I believe if your going to invest the time and effort you should just go ahead and learn 90/90 or Poolology.. I believe CTE works great but requires a lot more understanding than 90/90 and poolology.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Salux has developed and shared different types of aiming systems over the years. He's found some interesting things experimenting on the table and he uses his results to make aiming systems. He offers them in hopes they may 'click' for someone and help out with the shots that give them problems. He's just offering another tool for your shooting toolbox. His latest system may not work for all shots but it might help for the ones that you find difficult to aim.

You can't blame his system for balls closer than a diamond. ALL systems break down when the balls get within 6 ball widths. It's due to table geometry and it's not the fault of ANY aiming system. I have a thread that dives into the math if you're interested. It's called Close balls and the cosecant function. It explains the problem by looking at the trigonometry of the balls position.

wvmoto186

Registered
I understand about ball being closer than a diamond. But, with 90/90 for example if your seeing 90 to 90 and your closer than a diamond length then you go to 90 to center. if your more than 4 diamonds apart and your 90to center then you go back down to 90 to 90 . I glad that salux Is working on new ways .I'm not saying it doesn't work, ,it does. I'm saying 90 /90 is more complete . the other problem with this way is if you shoot right handed and your left eye dominant , it does not work.

salux

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I thank Vorpal for his nice words.
Anyway for close balls, you need to compensate. In my system I use outside English after the pre-shot alignment.

About the second objection I cannot help you.

For shot over 60 degree angles, I can successfully pot because the system is based on the fact that when you're on the correct line shot, you always have the edge of CB aligned to the center of OB. Even with very steep angles.
Just try it! As I always cite: "The game is my teacher" (CW Wiley).

Anyway I consider a system "complete" when it is usable for all kind of shots (caroms, banks, etc). A kind of demanding system :)
And personally I don't think 90/90 is usable for banks for instance. But CTE does!

Cheers,
Salux

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
If a system can hit a pocket it can hit a bank. A target's a target. Some are easier to see than others, but that's not the system.

pj
chgo

And a nitpicker can pick nits. Your unrelated comment was unnecessary. Why don't you tell us how you tried the system and found the pivot system worked for you? Or is this another system that that you can't 'get'?

Do us a favor and start a thread about how to play the BIG JOHNSON way. Or is your middle name tiny?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
And a nitpicker can pick nits. Your unrelated comment was unnecessary. Why don't you tell us how you tried the system and found the pivot system worked for you? Or is this another system that that you can't 'get'?

Do us a favor and start a thread about how to play the BIG JOHNSON way. Or is your middle name tiny?
lol

A lotta schoolyard drama over whether a system can bank. I guess you don’t think so either? Don’t sprain anything.

pj
chgo

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
I see you're ducking the question. If you want to contribute to the thread, answer a few things for it's readers.

HAVE YOU TRIED THE SYSTEM?

DID YOU GET IT TO WORK?

DO YOU WANT HELP TO UNDERSTAND IT?

DID YOU TRY THE PIVOTING TECHNIQUE I SUGGESTED?

I'm just guessing but I doubt any of your answers would be 'yes'

Quit trying to hijack Salux's thread. Post a topic on the Ghostball Banking system. LOL.

You're just a nuisance and you offer nothing of value. Answer the questions. Put up or shut up.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I see you're ducking the question. If you want to contribute to the thread, answer a few things for it's readers.

HAVE YOU TRIED THE SYSTEM?

DID YOU GET IT TO WORK?

DO YOU WANT HELP TO UNDERSTAND IT?

DID YOU TRY THE PIVOTING TECHNIQUE I SUGGESTED?

I'm just guessing but I doubt any of your answers would be 'yes'

Quit trying to hijack Salux's thread. Post a topic on the Ghostball Banking system. LOL.

You're just a nuisance and you offer nothing of value. Answer the questions. Put up or shut up.
You seem to have lost track of the conversation. My response to Salux was about his comment regarding the 90/90 system - I thought that was obvious from the fact that I quoted his comment in my reply (guess not).

You're trying very hard to have an argument, but I'm not particularly interested. Sorry.

pj
chgo-

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
And you're trying very hard to duck the questions. I didn't try it and it won't work on paper so I'll nitpick it. Sphereologist my ass.

Answer the questions or shut your pie hole.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
This is a thread about a pivoting system. Why are you so reluctant to discuss your experimentation with it? A true sphereologist would embrace the chance to learn something new.

EGO > UNDERSTANDING

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is a thread about a pivoting system. Why are you so reluctant to discuss your experimentation with it? A true sphereologist would embrace the chance to learn something new.

EGO > UNDERSTANDING
Vorpal, if you'll quote something I said in this thread that you disagree with, and describe how you think it's wrong, I'll talk about it with you (as long as you can follow along).

But you're wasting your time trying to bait me into an argument about nothing - hijacking the thread you say you're concerned about.

pj
chgo