What would entice you to spend money on a TAR (The Action Report) stream?

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
I decided to start a thread with hopefully a more positive tone. I can't see many people being guilt-tripped into spending money, but perhaps some can be. I don't know.

So for anyone who has positive feedback or ideas on how to get people to support TAR, here's your chance to do so.

I'll start. I watched some of the free stream, and didn't buy the women's PPV, so I guess I qualify as one of the 950 "cheap bastards" whose "mama wouldn't give him 10 bucks" for TAR. :rolleyes: LOL.

Personally, I was busy last night, among other things, playing pool. Imagine that. LOL. I did watch some of the free stuff on previous nights, but due to working an 8-5 job, I could only watch a very small fraction of it. That said, I did watch longer than I meant to, which brings me to my first idea....

Does the streaming company support some kind of a preview? I think that if viewers could log in for free for say, the first 15 minutes, they might get hooked and decide to shell out the cash when they get cut off. Or, perhaps the first 5 minutes of every hour. This functionality may not be possible, but if it is, I think it would help. Give them a taste, and they'll want to keep eating. Even if the pay stream site doesn't support this, maybe there's a way to air a few minutes on BOTH sites (free and paid) at the beginning, and then yank the free one when they want the preview to end.

Next idea: during the PPV, put up some kind of message on the free stream site to point people over to the PPV. If it's possible for the chatroom mods to make an automated chat message? If "theactionreport" screen name could automatically post a message, say, every 60 seconds, that could be a nice ad to help bring people out of the free chat and into the PPV stream. Something like, "We hope you're enjoying the streaming. Please support TAR by joining us for this first of it's kind Women's All Around <etc>". For all I know, some of those people may not have even realized that there was a PPV going on.

Third idea: Tell the commentators to hype the PPV's during the free streams, including the day and time that it will be aired. Maybe they did this, I don't know, but during the short times that I watched, I can't remember hearing anything about the PPV's. I think this was especially important since the match got postponed from it's original time.

Those are all my ideas for now. OK, not Earth shattering ideas, but maybe they could help a little.

I've bought TAR PPV's in the past, and I will in the future. The SVB/Hopkins Last Pocket 8-Ball tonight at 8pm EST sounds very enticing.

One last thing, I just want to say that TAR is doing a hell of a job, and I do agree that we should support them. Let's face it though, only so many people are going to donate based on they got for free. So, let's continue to help promote TAR so that people will BUY their product! :)

Thanks, Action Report. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Edited to correct the starting time of tonight's 8-ball PPV.

Last edited:

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wasn't that interested in the women's match.

altho 10 bucks is very very cheap for something like that.

as long as the dulton/chohan match is going to be under 20 for the whole stream i will no doubt buy it.

BPG24

Banned
Nice to see someone understands the power of being positive towards people.

The other thread makes TAR look bad IMO... Offering everyone an awesome service for free and then trying to make people feel bad for watching it without paying is just awful. Really rubbed me wrong.

I have every intention of buying any PPV that they put on as long as I agree with the price and the matchup is one that I want to see. I would buy alot more of them if they could easily be recorded. Purchasing something like this and being able to watch it at our convenience would be a huge plus...

The all week for $25 is a good idea, It would draw alot of viewers and 25x200 or more adds up fast.

Getting players to commentate on matches is great, i just wish they would do it without talking trash about the guy that they aren't betting on.

The DVD prices are currently too high for me, i think the prices will go down after they recover their expenses

More to come

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tar Events

I wasn't interested in the womans match either,if I want to watch womens pool I'll put on espn since that is all the tv shows.I also had a hard time finding the link on the web page,and getting it two work.I want to watch the men and will be ordering one of the events.I was also a little worried about the stream because of the problems they were having ,I would take a gamble with the mens but not the womens.I would also like to thank the tar staff for airing the action and keep up the good work.:)

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
I decided to start a thread with hopefully a more positive tone. I can't see many people being guilt-tripped into spending money, but perhaps some can be. I don't know.

So for anyone who has positive feedback or ideas on how to get people to support TAR, here's your chance to do so.

I'll start. I watched some of the free stream, and didn't buy the women's PPV, so I guess I qualify as one of the 950 "cheap bastards" whose "mama wouldn't give him 10 bucks" for TAR. :rolleyes: LOL.

Personally, I was busy last night, among other things, playing pool. Imagine that. LOL. I did watch some of the free stuff on previous nights, but due to working an 8-5 job, I could only watch a very small fraction of it. That said, I did watch longer than I meant to, which brings me to my first idea....

Does the streaming company support some kind of a preview? I think that if viewers could log in for free for say, the first 15 minutes, they might get hooked and decide to shell out the cash when they get cut off. Or, perhaps the first 5 minutes of every hour. This functionality may not be possible, but if it is, I think it would help. Give them a taste, and they'll want to keep eating. Even if the pay stream site doesn't support this, maybe there's a way to air a few minutes on BOTH sites (free and paid) at the beginning, and then yank the free one when they want the preview to end.

Next idea: during the PPV, put up some kind of message on the free stream site to point people over to the PPV. If it's possible for the chatroom mods to make an automated chat message? If "theactionreport" screen name could automatically post a message, say, every 60 seconds, that could be a nice ad to help bring people out of the free chat and into the PPV stream. Something like, "We hope you're enjoying the streaming. Please support TAR by joining us for this first of it's kind Women's All Around <etc>". For all I know, some of those people may not have even realized that there was a PPV going on.

Third idea: Tell the commentators to hype the PPV's during the free streams, including the day and time that it will be aired. Maybe they did this, I don't know, but during the short times that I watched, I can't remember hearing anything about the PPV's. I think this was especially important since the match got postponed from it's original time.

Those are all my ideas for now. OK, not Earth shattering ideas, but maybe they could help a little.

I've bought TAR PPV's in the past, and I will in the future. The SVB/Hopkins Last Pocket 8-Ball tonight at 7pm EST sounds very enticing.

One last thing, I just want to say that TAR is doing a hell of a job, and I do agree that we should support them. Let's face it though, only so many people are going to donate based on they got for free. So, let's continue to help promote TAR so that people will BUY their product! :)

Thanks for the positive thread. I have been watching lots of the free feed and I paid for the women's match (twice on accident but that's ok), mainly to support these guys and what they are trying to do. BTW, this is the first one I've bought (so I can't beat my drum too loud) but it won't be the last.

What about a two tier system? I don't know about the logistics or how technically feasible it is but, what about offering a "small screen only" free feed and a pay feed that's say, $1 or $2 an hour or so for a larger high quaility feed? I'd pay for that.

Either way, I'm hooked. I will pay to watch if that's what it takes, I just hope it's still available going forward.

Dustin_J

Commence the Jigglin!
Silver Member
I've watched all of the other TAR stuff (free and PPV), and a bunch of the free coverage this week, but I was also one of the "nits" last night as I too had other obligations and wasn't all that interested in watching the remaining part of the 10-ball set when I got home. However, I don't feel like too big of a nit considering that I'm definitely in for the SVB/Hopkins match tonight and the Chohan/Daulton match. I think the folks at TAR have done an awesome job with all of this and that the match-ups are what are really going to draw the people in. Sometimes people just aren't interested in certain matchups, and I think that was the case last night. I'm stoked about SVB/Hopkins and Chohan Daulton, that's for sure...and I hope a lot of others are as well.

cheesemouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure TAR is learning from each event. If the situation presents itself that the labors won't float the boat they will have to fold the tent( I don't think either Jason/Chad are independently wealthy). I don't hear them whinning yet so perhaps it is worth the efforts; I don't know. I know it would be a shame if I couldn't enjoy this side of the game here at home on my puter. Mainstream media is never going to fill the bill. I don't think there is any debate about that subject. Being a niche sport we are the niche audience with our niche money. The TAR baby's are providing us a little cubbyhole where we can peak in and get our pool fix. A fix in our next to nothing sport has got have some value. I pay $50 buck a month for my cable tv and since this Derby live stream has started I don't think I have watched two hours. Now if I could somehow get a pro-rated cable tv connection based on the hours I use it the $10 I spent to watch the 'girls' play would be a push.

I don't throw my money away and I don't allow people to shame me into anything. If I don't like the game I don't play, pretty simple stuff. For now I am willing to play this game. I hope I don't wake up some morning and find the shutters closed and the going out of business signs up. I'll do my part by buying TAR's product when I can use it because it is the only place I can get the fix, get the good stuff uncut. If they improve the product I suspect the price will too. It's the American way:)

TAR's job is to find a way to make it pay by identifying those willing to float the boat and cater to us. Those unwilling to pay in some fashion will be relegated back to begging for updates on this forum consigning themselves to the whims of those few benevolent souls giving it up on the forum. Personally, I like it live, real, and unfilter just like I'm there wolfing my a$$ off...:)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Nothing would entice me to spend money on a TAR (The Action Report) stream. I am on slow dial up.
rant.gif

yobagua

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that whatever TAR is doing they are worth much much more than the few dollars they are charging us. THink if there was no TAR. Everyone would be starving for info at the Derby. They not only give us information about the facts but give you the subjective views of the pros and gamblers that have been on the inside of the game. Where else can you get that? You wont get that on commercial tv. They wont talk about gambling. They wont talk about a Bobby Pickle, a Sparky Ferrel, or a CLiff Joyner. Please think about what you are getting.
A few dollars goes a long way here.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I have watched it a few times but lost my interest because the picture kept freezing or locking up and when I did have it was dark, fuzzy, and jerky. The sound was also very bad. The announcers were either drowned out or they seemed to be in a echo chamber that sounded like a old reverb unit. I can't justify paying for something that bad.

bagofpaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this in the guilt trip thread but I'll post here as well. I was thinking TAR could stream live over PPV but charge by the day something cheap around $5-$7. If they can reel in half of the viewers on the free feed that would still be a nice chunk of change for the day.

I think it's absolutely amazing what they are doing out there.. keep it up guys I can't wait to bring you some beers on Friday.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:

I've bought TAR PPV's in the past, and I will in the future. The SVB/Hopkins Last Pocket 8-Ball tonight at 7pm EST sounds very enticing.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to be negative last night - I'm not normally a negative person. I have a habit of speaking my mind. Sometimes it's positive, sometimes it's not. Regardless, I thought it had to be said... the way I said it. If I offended anyone - my sincere apologies, it's nothing personal. Love me or hate me, at least you guys know where I stand.

Spider

skiflyer

1) A listing of all the upcoming events in one nice easy to read place. (Maybe this exists, post a link here if it does please!)

2) Tickets to the PPV... let me buy it right now when I see the listing, then just enter a code to watch it later. Seems silly, but lets me buy one for a friend or some such.

3) More professional attitude in the booth. Listening to a minute about how hot the waitress was was funny, listening to 10 minutes of drooling about what a nice rack she had was pretty pathetic... I would've much preferred, oh I dunno a score update.

4) Probably not realistic, but save the matches for later viewing at the same/reduced price.

5) Hourly rate, $10 for a 10 hour 7 ahead set is way too cheap. $10 for a 45 minute 7 ahead set is a ripoff. $10 for an hour or two while I'm falling asleep is right up my alley.

6) HAWK YOUR WARES! Lots of people here want it, get on AZ 20/30 minutes before a match and start a thread saying whoever and whoever are playing in 30 minutes, get in now!

7) Maybe they already do this in the PPVs I dunno, read the chatroom and respond often.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wanted to watch the last live match but i thought it had already started (i'm on the west coast) and i'm not sure where the match was taking place.

more Bet something shirts. i get a lot of questions about it at work

derk70

Registered
They sounded like a minister begging for donations. I would be glad to pay what its worth to have drunk guys comment on waitresses with slurred speech

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
I agree that the commentating is pretty ridiculous. Just because someone can play doesnt mean they should be in the booth. I have done color commentary for high school sports for several years, on the radio and at the game sites of many well respected tournaments. I stopped by the chat room and told JCIN to let me in the booth....he just giggled. I would volunteer a few hours of my time to do this...but it wont happen.

Another thing that kind of put me off was when the TAR was in Louisville for the QLympics. I stopped by the room, introduced myself to the fellas, told them what a great job they were doing, blah blah blah. I asked one of them to save me a ticket for the match. I take a shower, get dressed, grab some cash, go over to the tournament to buy a ticket....oh sorry, sold out. Hmmm. Thanks a bunch.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
bomber said:
I agree that the commentating is pretty ridiculous. Just because someone can play doesnt mean they should be in the booth. I have done color commentary for high school sports for several years, on the radio and at the game sites of many well respected tournaments. I stopped by the chat room and told JCIN to let me in the booth....he just giggled. I would volunteer a few hours of my time to do this...but it wont happen.

Another thing that kind of put me off was when the TAR was in Louisville for the QLympics. I stopped by the room, introduced myself to the fellas, told them what a great job they were doing, blah blah blah. I asked one of them to save me a ticket for the match. I take a shower, get dressed, grab some cash, go over to the tournament to buy a ticket....oh sorry, sold out. Hmmm. Thanks a bunch.
I am sorry you did not get the red carpet welcome you feel you deserved. We had a few things going on at the time