Wow im shocked.

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
Well I have been helping my local pool hall out quite a bit in recent weeks with our house pro leaving to a bigger city to improve his game. I have been running weekly tourneys for them, spreading the word of the pool hall you know all the stuff, and while I was playing there pool time was only 3.25 CND an hour, really cheap discounted half price for me. So I go in there today to run the tournament and no one shows up. So I practiced and played some darts with my dad's girlfriend.

Then the owner of the pool hall comes in. We chatted a bit and I went to pay my table time the bartender tells’s me its 4.50 or something like that. Then don (the owner) tells me I don't have to pay for my table time there anymore! I couldn't express how I felt I was like wow. So being I live in a small apartment and no room for a table I can increase my table time from 15-20+ hours a week to even more balancing with school. This is the best news I could have received.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Muxy said:
Well I have been helping my local pool hall out quite a bit in recent weeks with our house pro leaving to a bigger city to improve his game. I have been running weekly tourneys for them, spreading the word of the pool hall you know all the stuff, and while I was playing there pool time was only 3.25 CND an hour, really cheap discounted half price for me. So I go in there today to run the tournament and no one shows up. So I practiced and played some darts with my dad's girlfriend.

Then the owner of the pool hall comes in. We chatted a bit and I went to pay my table time the bartender tells’s me its 4.50 or something like that. Then don (the owner) tells me I don't have to pay for my table time there anymore! I couldn't express how I felt I was like wow. So being I live in a small apartment and no room for a table I can increase my table time from 15-20+ hours a week to even more balancing with school. This is the best news I could have received.

WOW!!! The only players in our city who get free pool are the professionals.
Maybe your pool hall owner see's a future pro in you somewhere down the road. Enjoy your free pool time. RJ

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
WOW!!! The only players in our city who get free pool are the professionals.
Maybe your pool hall owner see's a future pro in you somewhere down the road. Enjoy your free pool time. RJ
i agree with the abouve quote..Muxy you should really be proud of yourself...you have obviously earned the respect of the big time operators..congratulations you have earned it the old fashion way by working for it..best of luck to you in all your life...ohh and never forget "don't bite the hand that feeds you"

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Great news, Muxy, but along with your obvious gratitude to Don, you should also feel a obligation to him. Here's what I suggerst:

- Dress nicely and behave with dignity when you're in Don's room.

- Try to be an ambassador for pool in Don's poolroom, by helping others to get excited about pool.

It's not about "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but about "support and show respect for the hand that feeds you." Do the right thing, Muxy.

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
When ever i go in there it is always with a collered shirt. Nice jeans or dress pants. I don't walk into a hall like a bum :p. Thanks sjm I will do my best.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Muxy said:
This is the best news I could have received.

Muxy,
Well done. As usual I was going to say what SJM has already posted (man, he must type fast). This is a great opportunity, try to build on it as SJM suggests. Help the owner build his business, and help develop the right kind of atmosphere; you'll have a great place to play.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get free pool at my local pool hall,however, I get a much better deal than everyone else because of the reguliarity and consistency of my practice sessions.
In return I do some little things like wipe down the table afterwards and voluntarily end my practice session early if the place fills up, so that the owner can make optimin money on all tables.I also don't take things for granted and thank the owners each time and I'm nice to the staff.

To me this arrangment is a win-win situation for everyone.RJ

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
I don't get free pool at my local pool hall,however, I get a much better deal than everyone else because of the reguliarity and consistency of my practice sessions.
In return I do some little things like wipe down the table afterwards and voluntarily end my practice session early if the place fills up, so that the owner can make optimin money on all tables.I also don't take things for granted and thank the owners each time and I'm nice to the staff.

RJ,
I get free pool at home. In return I do some little things like take out the garbage every night, wipe down the table after dinner, change the water softener salt, mow the yard, maintain the cars, spend some weekends with the in-laws, do all the income taxes, etc. JEEEEZZZZZZ!!!! Maybe I should sell my table and just play like Muxy and RJ at the local pool hall.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
RJ,
I get free pool at home. In return I do some little things like take out the garbage every night, wipe down the table after dinner, change the water softener salt, mow the yard, maintain the cars, spend some weekends with the in-laws, do all the income taxes, etc. JEEEEZZZZZZ!!!! Maybe I should sell my table and just play like Muxy and RJ at the local pool hall.

LOL.........And to think I was wishing once again to be married and have my own table at home.I can just see it now: I'm in deadstroke on a 99 ball run and about to shoot ball number 100 and the wife comes down to tell me to throw something in the garbage.I undoubtingly miss ball number 100 and throw the wife in the dumpster,fullfilling her commands about taking out the garbage.

Thanks for kindly remminding me how good things really are.
:D RJ

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:
LOL.........And to think I was wishing once again to be married and have my own table at home.I can just see it now: I'm in deadstroke on a 99 ball run and about to shoot ball number 100 and the wife comes down to tell me to throw something in the garbage.I undoubtingly miss ball number 100 and throw the wife in the dumpster,fullfilling her commands about taking out the garbage.

RJ,
Perhaps you are not thinking realistically about this. When my wife comes down to the pool room to ask (more like command) me to do something, she walks directly to the pool table and starts lifting balls and rearranging the table, or if I'm in her way she just bumps my cue as I'm shooting (even if I'm in the middle of a competitive match). My previous high run of 44 ended in such a fashion. She has learned long ago that I tend to ignore her until I'm finished shooting. On the other hand, she "occasionally" goes shopping leaving me home alone to enjoy the fabulous poolroom - I guess I'll keep the GCIV.

Last edited:

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL......only joking about the women thing, with the exception of my ex-wife. I'd love to have a Gold Crown 4 and there are still some good women out there. ;) Only joking.

I had to clear things up because of the recent flame wars and I don't want some of the wonderful women here to take things the wrong way. :D RJ

.....oh yes, one day a gold crown four will be mine.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiffy-Tiffy-Tiffy, I'd marry you in a jiffy-jiffy-jiffy. I'd dressup real spiffy-spiffy-spiffy,iffy-iffy-iffy you'd go halves on a gold crown four wiffy- wiffy- wiff me. :D RJ

Last edited:

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Pretty creative.

recoveryjones said:
Tiffy-Tiffy-Tiffy, I'd marry you in a jiffy-jiffy-jiffy. I'd dressup real spiffy-spiffy-spiffy,iffy-iffy-iffy you'd go halves on a gold crown four wiffy- wiffy- wiff me. :D RJ

Pretty creative stuff RJ. ROFLOL

telkwa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you play at guys&dolls mainly?

recoveryjones said:

Muxy said:
When ever i go in there it is always with a collered shirt. Nice jeans or dress pants. I don't walk into a hall like a bum :p.

Ahhh...I notice you still left out any hint of shoes. I hope this savings on table time can be put to good use on some hoof huggers. :p :D

Williebetmore said:
RJ,
She has learned long ago that I tend to ignore her until I'm finished shooting. On the other hand, she "occasionally" goes shopping leaving me home alone to enjoy the fabulous poolroom - I guess I'll keep the GCIV.

Willee...seems to me that you just need to turn the "occasionally" into "frequently". Do your research in the newspaper everyday and cut out all of the sales pages and lay them out for her with the morning coffee. ;)

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
recoveryjones said:

LMAO! I don't care if there is an earthquake you don't miss ball 100!

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
sniper said:
LMAO! I don't care if there is an earthquake you don't miss ball 100!

Chris,
We are guessing that you are not married. My wife wouldn't care at all, she would just say something like, "well, you've already made a bunch of balls, you know what its like, you don't need to make any more."

NineBallNut

Silver Member
good for you

this is a great situation. I run a league for a pool hall here in Northern Michigan as well as do table work for the hall. In return, I get to play for free all the time. The big thing to remember is to always conduct yourself in a professional manner. I never cause any problems for the owners and bring in a lot of business for them. Not having my own table, my game has improved tremendously by being able to play as much as I want. I think a lot of pool room owners have figured out that if they give good deals to good customers, they in turn will bring in more revenues and new players, so win/win for everyone.