When did Efren FIRST come to the USA?

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was having a friendly debate with a guy in the pool hall today about when Efren first came to this country. Any of you guys have a definite answer to the question? An answer you would be willing to wager on? Thanks in advance for any help.

Reactions: Hal

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nibrobus said:
1985 Houston Red's Tournament

That certainly is the common belief. I think you may get an offer of a wager though-I dont think Bill would have posted the question had he thought that was the answer. Of course I'm just guessing.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Astute!

Nostroke said:
That certainly is the common belief. I think you may get an offer of a wager though-I dont think Bill would have posted the question had he thought that was the answer. Of course I'm just guessing.
An astute observation, Nostroke!

Only ERO's

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren

From what I have been told, Efren originally came to Rochester, MN. A good friend of his was here telling everybody about this world class player from the Phillipines that could rob all the Americans. There were two Phillipino brothers (Nate and Efren(sp.) Ramirez) that convinced the owner of Chick's billiards into fronting some money to bring Efren over from the Phillipines.

This is the beginning to the story that I have heard. I could probably look more into it as comments come up. I know about 3-4 people that remember Efren firing the spot shots in without hitting the rail in the basement of Chicks.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The year?

Only ERO's said:
From what I have been told, Efren originally came to Rochester, MN. A good friend of his was here telling everybody about this world class player from the Phillipines that could rob all the Americans. There were two Phillipino brothers (Nate and Efren(sp.) Ramirez) that convinced the owner of Chick's billiards into fronting some money to bring Efren over from the Phillipines.

This is the beginning to the story that I have heard. I could probably look more into it as comments come up. I know about 3-4 people that remember Efren firing the spot shots in without hitting the rail in the basement of Chicks.
Now that sounds like some very good information to my untutored ears (eyes?). The only question is what year was it when he first came.

Titleist04

Registered
He found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. He played in and won the Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the 1985 Red's tournament?

Titleist04 said:
He found a sponsor in 1979 and made his first trip abroad to Japan, where he won $3,000 hustling and playing in tournaments. Six years later he made his first trip to America. He played in and won the Red 9-Ball Open in Houston, Texas, which netted him a few thousand dollars. Then over the next three weeks, playing big money against all comers, Efren won $81,000. But he never saw his promised 50% share. His financier stole the money.
The 1985 Red's tournament? I hate to hear he was stiffed for the money, but can't say I'm surprised. Didn't Mike Lebron sort of take him under his wing for a while?

Titleist04

Registered
In 1986, he returned to America at the invitation of another financier, a Filipino from Chicago. This man also cheated Efren. In 1987, he had another financier, but they did not get along. In 1988, Efren was financed by an American named Archibald Mitchell. This time Efren finally made money. It was about this time that Efren teamed up with long-time friend, Rolando Vicente, his manager until this day.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm as big an Efren fan as anyone, but how do you "fire in" a spot shot, and not hit a rail?.....maybe slow spin one in?......but fire?

Gerry

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Firing in spot shots without hitting a rail?

Gerry said:
I'm as big an Efren fan as anyone, but how do you "fire in" a spot shot, and not hit a rail?.....maybe slow spin one in?......but fire?

Gerry
Got my attention too....:eek:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:

Gerry

I assume it's a swerve / masse stroke.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
I was having a friendly debate with a guy in the pool hall today about when Efren first came to this country. Any of you guys have a definite answer to the question? An answer you would be willing to wager on? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've always assumed he came to the States before he won the 1985 Reds even.

Fred

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
A buddy of mine is good friends with Erfren. I'll ask him the next time we speak. Probably within the next few days.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earlier trips?

Cornerman said:

Fred
Yes, most people cite the 1985 Red's tournament as Efren's first trip to the States, but some think he may have made a trip or two before that.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like that would be a good source of information!

CantEverWin said:
A buddy of mine is good friends with Erfren. I'll ask him the next time we speak. Probably within the next few days.
That would surely be a good source of information! I'm sure that several people on the board would appreciate an accurate answer to the question.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren was surely known to be a great player long before 1980

Cornerman said:

Fred
Fred, in the book, "Billiards" by John Grissim, Grissim mentions playing Efren in the Phillipines on a trip he had taken "a few years back." Since the book has a 1979 copyright date, you have to assume that he played Efren no later than 1975 or 1976. At that time, Grissim was told that Efren was the second ranked player in the Phillipines. Maybe Parica was number 1? Anyway, Grissim certainly knew his way around the world of pool and surely passed along this information about super players in Manila to people in this country. It seems plausible that sometime between 1978 and 1984 Efren was brought over here to play a match or two. But maybe not. I just threw the question out to see what might surface.

Grady

Pro Player
People forget that I won the One Pocket at Red's in 85', 83' too for that matter. Most memorable to me was Buddy beating Efren 10 ahead for $10,000 in about an hour. You can't say that Efren robbed everybody. At that time I would play anyone in the world One Pocket but there were no takers around Red's.