Broken Revo

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did anyone else see this on facebook? Someone apparently got mad and slapped the Revo on the table and it snapped in 2...I thought the Revo was indestructible.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1484411637034.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484411637034.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 6,512
  • FB_IMG_1484411630188.jpg
    FB_IMG_1484411630188.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7,626

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think a lot of people have little experience with carbon fiber products...Take fishing rods, for instance. You can slam a carbon fiber fishing rod into a rock, and it will seem perfectly fine. Then suddenly, while you are fighting a fish, it snaps on the exact spot where you hit it previously. Sure, carbon fiber is a strong material, but it's far from indistructible. Especially not as a pool cue, where it may (of may not, depending on the owners temperament) suffer sudden shocks in a direction it was not designed to be resistant to.

An owner slamming the cue against the table is completely different from the same person hitting a ball in the proper way with the stick. Wood may get dented and slightly bent, but it takes A LOT of punishment to break a wooden pool shaft. You almost have to try to do it. Carbon fiber may only take one good hit to break right then and there, or at a later time when you had long forgotten about the crucial impact.

There are many advantages to synthetic pool shafts, but there are even more drawbacks. I'm sticking to my regular wood shafts, for now.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know why people think this shaft is "indestructible" that term has never been used by predator. What they do say is it is "highly resistant" to damage

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the Revo shaft is indestructable under normal use. It will not dent nor warp. Slamming it onto anything is abuse not intended as normal use, and voids the warranty, I would expect.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think a lot of people have little experience with carbon fiber products...Take fishing rods, for instance. You can slam a carbon fiber fishing rod into a rock, and it will seem perfectly fine. Then suddenly, while you are fighting a fish, it snaps on the exact spot where you hit it previously. Sure, carbon fiber is a strong material, but it's far from indistructible. Especially not as a pool cue, where it may (of may not, depending on the owners temperament) suffer sudden shocks in a direction it was not designed to be resistant to.

An owner slamming the cue against the table is completely different from the same person hitting a ball in the proper way with the stick. Wood may get dented and slightly bent, but it takes A LOT of punishment to break a wooden pool shaft. You almost have to try to do it. Carbon fiber may only take one good hit to break right then and there, or at a later time when you had long forgotten about the crucial impact.

There are many advantages to synthetic pool shafts, but there are even more drawbacks. I'm sticking to my regular wood shafts, for now.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually the Revo shaft is indestructable under normal use. It will not dent nor warp. Slamming it onto anything is abuse not intended as normal use, and voids the warranty, I would expect.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Exactly. Carbon-fiber is directional. Hitting the shaft on the side will break it every time. Golf shafts are same way: VERY strong in flexing/unflexing but very easy to break if hit from the side.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I HOPE EVERY idiot who slams his cue on something breaks it. Whether they be REVO, WalMartO, Balabushka, Szamboti, or whatever.

Cues are made to play pool with...not throw and slam around.

If you miss a ball or make a mistake and slam your cue, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
FWIW, I HOPE EVERY idiot who slams his cue on something breaks it. Whether they be REVO, WalMartO, Balabushka, Szamboti, or whatever.

Cues are made to play pool with...not throw and slam around.

If you miss a ball or make a mistake and slam your cue, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

Very well stated and I agree 100%

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the fracture on the pic is very unusual for a CF composite cone/rod who has been slapped at 90° of the cone axis....

the fracture looks almost perfectly symetrical and at 90°, and the probability so see a different fracture shape resulting of this kind of impact is , IMHO, much much higher.... . where are the awaited longitudinal fractures ? no trace on the section pic...ROFL a miracle ??

i 've "played" a lot with CF/epoxy in another hobby -including microsandwichs-, and , even i'm not a physician, this picture tells me "we should try to reproduce this issue and compare the fracture shapes".... just for fun :-D .

IMHO at least, we can guess that this shaft wasn't made with a/some CF tissue(s), but was probably made of CF -short- fiber , by molding. Not the same resistance/resiliance , but easier to produce, and damn enough interesting properties for a pool/billiard shaft you obtain.

my 2 cents : the cue wasn't simply slapped, a jig / knife helped a bit to obtain this fracture shape ...

kind of Hoax it is, IMHO

Last edited:

puertorociii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Shaft was slapped on the side of a bar box. The guy admitted it and doesn't deny it. Predator has the shaft now. How do I know? Those are my pics, buddy of mine did that. It states on there site that it has foam inside of it. It's no surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. Carbon-fiber is directional. Hitting the shaft on the side will break it every time. Golf shafts are same way: VERY strong in flexing/unflexing but very easy to break if hit from the side.

It's very possible the CF was pultruded, not table-rolled as most golf shafts, or interweaved, like some others. Regardless, golf shafts ha1ve CF sheets with different layers, each layer going in a different direction. Pool shafts don't need to withstand 127mph clubhead speed (Bubby Watson) however. The Mezz masse' cue looks to be table-rolled, but looks like Kevlar.

The foam core is what gives the shaft its strength, because it prevents the CF outer layer from deforming when bent (i.e. hoop strength.) There is no foam in a golf shaft because that would affect feel in a negative way (they use titanium nickel wire, Kevlar, and other composites to minimize deformation.)

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is such a s**t company it's amazing.
And then they dare sell this stuff, and their cues, for more than shafts and cues made by some of our best professionals in the field.
What a joke.

If it wasn't for people falling for their bs advertising and them having convinced people that their game is somehow going to get better if only they buy their shafts...lol....they would be charging 50 bucks for this shaft...AND STILL MAKE VERY GOOD PROFIT.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very possible the CF was pultruded, not table-rolled as most golf shafts, or interweaved, like some others. Regardless, golf shafts ha1ve CF sheets with different layers, each layer going in a different direction. Pool shafts don't need to withstand 127mph clubhead speed (Bubby Watson) however. The Mezz masse' cue looks to be table-rolled, but looks like Kevlar.

The foam core is what gives the shaft its strength, because it prevents the CF outer layer from deforming when bent (i.e. hoop strength.) There is no foam in a golf shaft because that would affect feel in a negative way (they use titanium nickel wire, Kevlar, and other composites to minimize deformation.)
I'm not buying the foam core does anything more the change the weight and the sound
Regardless I'm labeling it as junk I wouldn't give 5 dollars for one after seeing this as thin as those walls are if hit fell and hit the edge of a table it would be subject to break at any time

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not buying the foam core does anything more the change the weight and the sound
Regardless I'm labeling it as junk I wouldn't give 5 dollars for one after seeing this as thin as those walls are if hit fell and hit the edge of a table it would be subject to break at any time

CF is so strong, especially in compression, that if they made the walls thicker it would feel like you were stroking a 2 x 4 (and start to weigh as much). If you bent such CF tube with no foam core, it would ovalize as it bent, The foam core prevents that ovalizing, which gives it greater stiffness-to-weight ratio.

If you look at the Mezz masse' shaft, you can see the woven Kevlar fibers. I'd all but guarantee it would take more than a whack at a corner to break that.

I'm not defending the Revo shaft, nor would I buy one. But some of the ignorant comments about CF in general is just mind-boggling.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF is so strong, especially in compression, that if they made the walls thicker it would feel like you were stroking a 2 x 4 (and start to weigh as much). If you bent such CF tube with no foam core, it would ovalize as it bent, The foam core prevents that ovalizing, which gives it greater stiffness-to-weight ratio.

If you look at the Mezz masse' shaft, you can see the woven Kevlar fibers. I'd all but guarantee it would take more than a whack at a corner to break that.

I'm not defending the Revo shaft, nor would I buy one. But some of the ignorant comments about CF in general is just mind-boggling.

More surprising to myself than the break was how thin the side wall is in the photo.
I understand about the weight with a thicker sidewall, but structurally, could you have a thicker sidewall near the joint then thin out towards the tip?

One question is was the hit against the table at the point of the break, or further up towards the tip, causing a flex and snapping further down?

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More surprising to myself than the break was how thin the side wall is in the photo.
I understand about the weight with a thicker sidewall, but structurally, could you have a thicker sidewall near the joint then thin out towards the tip?

One question is was the hit against the table at the point of the break, or further up towards the tip, causing a flex and snapping further down?

Sure it could definitely taper in thickness. Most golf shafts are opposite - the wall thicknesses taper toward the handle usually.

I think the foam core could actually exacerbate the problem. Without a core, the tube would flex somewhat and absorb the impact. Since there was a core, there was no place for the CF to flex so it failed at that point.

When I had a cabinet shop, I used to cut skids and skids of 3/4" MDF. The outer surfaces are actually denser than the core, which lends to the sheet's stiffness. As the Revo's foam core, it acts merely as a placeholder so that the outer shell does not translate in relation to each other, lending to its stiffness. I'd have tons of 1-1/2" x 48" drop-offs from breaking these 4 x 8 panels of MDF down. To make them smaller, I'd strike those strips against the edge of a plastic garbage can, on it's face, and it would snap like a twig right where I hit it. You can make quick work of breaking those strips down. I think the same principle happened with that shaft.