The Ice House

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone been to The Ice House in Tempe, AZ?

I've heard from multiple sources it's the best billiards room in the country, is that true?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear people say things like that all the time without having been to the other contenders. I haven't been to it (or the others), but I'd like to hear from someone who has been to the Ice House, Griff's and to Fargo Billiards for a real compare and contrast.

I want to go to all three!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been to Griff's and it's a great poolroom and sports bar. Good food and a full bar too!
A 'must visit' if you're in Las Vegas.

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ice House is a very high-quality pool room. All brand new Diamond tables (30+). Everything in the place is brand new, and top quality. The space was stripped to the girders then the interior was built with all new everything, designed to be a pool room. The budget for the renovations was $2 million, which gives some idea of the quality of the equipment and the fixtures. Great food served on china with real silverware and cloth napkins! How many pool rooms serve selections like orange chicken with white rice? But trying to claim any one room is the "best" in the country is silly. The Ice House is almost certainly the NEWEST major room in the country. And it is without question among the top tier in dedicated pool rooms. But there is certainly more than one room in the top tier!

Last edited:

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fremont, California

I'd nominate California Billiard Club in Fremont, CA as a contender.....

8ballr

Banned

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll just say that the styling and design of the Ice House is hyper-modern, not old school. All greys and blacks, with dozens of flat screen monitors everywhere and a separate room for "nightclub like" music and drinking. Personally, I prefer old school as a style. But no one can argue with the quality of everything in the place.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been to Griff's and it's a great poolroom and sports bar. Good food and a full bar too!
A 'must visit' if you're in Las Vegas.

Griff's is a great looking room but they need more tables, especially 9 footers. I think there are only 8 or 9 9 foot tables there. Layout is nice, food is good and so are the table rent rates. I spend several days there with my son during Jr Nationals and caught a day of the US Open 8 ball there. Since I knew one of the commentators we got a prime spot right behind the booth, spend the day hanging out with Bobby Cotton, was a blast. They also have a Chinese 8 ball table, and despite all the commotion over them lately, I have only seen it be in use once, by a couple of Chinese guys LOL

I think some of the older rooms may still get the prize for "best" for atmosphere. Say some of the Chicago ones.

Can you have a top of the line pool hall with only pool tables? I would think you need at least one 3C or snooker table also.

Last edited:

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap tap tap

Visited there for my first time yesterday.

Definitely 2 thumbs up!👍👍

TD

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
My personal vote for best old school room would probably be Chris's in Chicago.

As long as you have a tetanus shot before you go in ;) It needs to be thoroughly cleaned. It's a little disgusting to have your shoes stick to the same blood/vomit/alcohol stains from 40 years ago :)

I was there a few months ago. My sneakers are still there ;)

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Griff's is a great looking room but they need more tables, especially 9 footers. I think there are only 8 or 9 9 foot tables there. Layout is nice, food is good and so are the table rent rates. I spend several days there with my son during Jr Nationals and caught a day of the US Open 8 ball there. Since I knew one of the commentators we got a prime spot right behind the booth, spend the day hanging out with Bobby Cotton, was a blast. They also have a Chinese 8 ball table, and despite all the commotion over them lately, I have only seen it be in use once, by a couple of Chinese guys LOL

I think some of the older rooms may still get the prize for "best" for atmosphere. Say some of the Chicago ones.

Can you have a top of the line pool hall with only pool tables? I would think you need at least one 3C or snooker table also.

Griff's has the Carom table, as of a several months now

They probably want less big tables and more coin tables though,you know, more tables, more butts in the door
More drink and food sales

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Sara and I just left the Ice House, the room is the best ive ever seen, ive been to qmasters, jobs, fargo, griffs, teachers, jamaica joes etc..

Kdraper

Registered
The best old school hall I ever saw was The Palace on Market in SF in 1964 or 65 bright as an operating room with mirrored walls and great 9' and 10' tables, snooker and several billiard tables. The greatest action I ever saw was the same night across the street at Cochran's. These guy's were playing 6 ball on a 6x12 snooker table and breaking and running racks for a hundred a game. I was only 17 at the time and I couldn't believe guys could play as great as these guys did.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ice House is a very high-quality pool room. All brand new Diamond tables (30+). Everything in the place is brand new, and top quality. The space was stripped to the girders then the interior was built with all new everything, designed to be a pool room. The budget for the renovations was $2 million, which gives some idea of the quality of the equipment and the fixtures. Great food served on china with real silverware and cloth napkins! How many pool rooms serve selections like orange chicken with white rice? But trying to claim any one room is the "best" in the country is silly. The Ice House is almost certainly the NEWEST major room in the country. And it is without question among the top tier in dedicated pool rooms. But there is certainly more than one room in the top tier!

We had a pool room around here-when it opened the newspaper did a story abut how upscale it was serving Lobster Tails and Steak. Within a year the best you could do was a frozen hamburger and for dessert some moldy cake from Costco. Generally speaking, upscale restaurants and pool rooms dont mix well-at least not in the Northeast.

I saw it a second time in another room where within 6 months they fired all the 'fancy chefs' brought in a Spanish cook. He changed the menu, the place went 90% Spanish and raked in the money for at least 4-5 years- Not sure how they are doing now but they are still going..

I wish Scott luck. He has a tough nut to overcome there.

Last edited: