who makes the best playing cue???

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Of course, I have to chime in with Ray Schuler. I kinda like the way my own cue plays, but there's only a few of them in existence thus far. Only I have heard of them.

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
The best for me that I have ever owned so far was an old sneaky, hustler style, made by Tim Scruggs. It hit very firm, but the right amount of feedback so as not to lose any touch. I have hit with a friend's Southwest, and the damn thing hits like a cannon, but somehow also manages to balance the feedback well. Amazing playing cue. Another friend has an older steel jointed Gina that plays lights out.

I have an old Black Boar RS-4 coming soon, and I cannot wait. I have had enough people I trust say that even the old ones play better than most cues in the world. The next cue I buy will probably be a Lambros. Again, so many people love his cues.

If I could pick one cue maker to make me a personal playing cue, it would be Tony Scianella. Hands down. I would love to have a Searing, or Mobley, or Showman, or Hercek, but people I really trust tell me that the Boar's are not just hype.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My top three.

1. Richard Chudy
2. Richard Chudy
3. Richard Chudy

Or rc3.

Enough said!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Only homeless people think Taco Bell is good
The TS asked for an opinion
Why do you make it complicated Bruce?

Truth is BEST is like asking what is the BEST WOOD TO BUILD A CUE OUT OF, OR THE BEST FINISH TO PUT ON A CUE, BEST TIP, OR THE BEST PIN SIZE TO USE.

If there was a BEST ALL CUE WITH HAVE XXX PIN, OR BE BUILT OUT OF XXX WOOD, OR HAVE A XXX TIP. XXX Means fill in the blank.

I M H O there is no best just what you happen to like.

Allison Fisher plays with a Cue-Tech, does that mean Cue-Tech is BERST, or Allison skill make it work best.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Tascarella, Southwest, Schick, Joss West and Lambros are my favourites thus far. The first two are perhaps a bit more hit-and-miss in the sense that one can get lucky and get a Tascarella like mine that's unbelievably good to play with, but I've tried others (= that were still above average, of course, and well made, but not exceptional). Having said that, the same is true of many other top cue makers whose workmanship would be otherwise appealing. Southwest I've liked most of the ones I tried but not all, and not all are as straight as my Jerry Franklin original (= like an arrow). Schick I've only tried about three or so, all great players and perfect workmanship. My experience with Bill Stroud is positive but again limited to a handful of cues, among them a couple I have the pleasure to play with when I'm re-tipping them for a friend. But if I needed a cue, and I mean soon (not in ten years from now), plus had to pay for it with my own money, I'd go for Lambros. He'll play with each one of his cues for half an hour or so before shipping out, to make sure it hits as well as his clientele expects. And he'll listen to what you want and need in a cue!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Truth is BEST is like asking what is the BEST WOOD TO BUILD A CUE OUT OF, OR THE BEST FINISH TO PUT ON A CUE, BEST TIP, OR THE BEST PIN SIZE TO USE.

If there was a BEST ALL CUE WITH HAVE XXX PIN, OR BE BUILT OUT OF XXX WOOD, OR HAVE A XXX TIP. XXX Means fill in the blank.

I M H O there is no best just what you happen to like.

Allison Fisher plays with a Cue-Tech, does that mean Cue-Tech is BERST, or Allison skill make it work best.

Bruce, what part of OPINION didn't you understand ?

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
RANDY MOBLEY,KENNY MURRELL, and the zinzolas i have had in the past were all great players........i played with a searing conversion once and it was unreal.....there are so many great cues out there to pick from it wouldnt be that hard to find one that fits your style....i am just in love with a great piloted ivory joint and some really nice shafts....

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
You'll get as many answers as there are cue makers...everyone has their favorite.

If you can get to a cue show, that's the best way to try out different makers' cues and see what YOU like.

Lisa

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Omega/DPK is the best hitting I've ever owned. Had a Tim Scruggs which hit too soft for me but still incredible.

That I haven't owned, Richard Harris and Sugartree hit really well. Hit with a Gina over the weekend and it was really nice as well.

-s

Hi,

I totally agree with you 100% about Omega DPK. Stiff hit with a parabolic shaft tapered at 13 mm. Cue Nirvana.

Rick

Cgra2

Registered
Newbie here, however in my experience, pool cues are like cornbread, , different things to different people...

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cornbread?

I have heard that a good player with a broomstick will beat a ballbeater with any 1 of the great custom cues out there.

But speaking for ballbeaters eveywhere I would play Mika even up if he uses cornbread and I get a Keith Josey Sneaky pete!

JMO

BradenK

My Thight HURTS!!!
Silver Member
Update!

My Boar is in, and I will argue til the day they nail my coffin shut that the hype surrounding these cues is well deserved. IT PLAYS!!! Hands down the best I have owned, or even hit, for that matter. And the newer ones are supposed to play better, though that is even hard for me to imagine. But I would love to find out, and I plan to.

Braden

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
best playing cue

I have to say any good cuemaker that builds the one i want to my specs builds the best playing cue for me. At the moment its my Jacoby that i just had built. I play with predator shafts so the rest is my joint material and choice my choice of weight and balance point, and the pin of my choice. With the advantage of being able to specify the butt diameter i want choice of woods and aesthetics and any special accesories i may want such as an extension with a butt design to accept it.

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
Newbie here, however in my experience, pool cues are like cornbread, , different things to different people...

excellent reply i couldnt agree more. If you have been playing seriously for a good long time you know what you want and i would take anycue i get made my way to my tastes over any Gina Hercek or any other custom that i buy that wasnt made to my specs nut to the cue makers choice. Now if i could get that Gina made to my specs im sure i would love it but thats not in my budget at the moment.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i realize this is a subjective question with no right or wrong answer
but many of the posters in this area of the forum
have experience playing with many cues from many cue makers
so im asking not what cuemaker makes the most collectible cue but
TO YOU
what cues plays/feels the best