Blues Music & Pool

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I figured to ask here: What are some of the best Blues songs to play pool by ?? All opinions are welcome, but I'm looking for something more like John Lee Hooker than CCR,Stevie Ray Vaugh,ZZ Top, Eric Clapton.

There is nothing like playing a good set with some blues playing in the background !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i3siC0suus

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe it or not, my BF enjoys Barry White when he shoots pool ---> HERE. :D

He even has that as his ring tone on his cell phone. LOL

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Believe it or not, my BF enjoys Barry White when he shoots pool ---> HERE. :D

He even has that as his ring tone on his cell phone. LOL

Nice Jam ! Brings back memories.

I'm looking for blues with a beat, something rockin' in the background....

THANKS ! :smile:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allmab Brothers-Stormy Monday-Not my Cross To Bare--Mountain Jam--Eat A Peach Album-- JJ Cale Naturally Album

mhilton777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out Chris Whitely. Unbelievable talent and he died way too young and recorded some great down to earth music. I have all of his albums including the Dirt Floor album which I have on 180 gram vinyl. That album was recorded on a 2 track and a ribbon mike in his dad's shop and is consistently in the top 100 best albums for audiophiles in Stereophile magazine.

Other than that, check out the classic guys like Bobby Bland, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Howlin Wolf, B.B., Junior Wells, Little Walker, etc.

If you want to get into some jazz/blues, one of my favorites is Jimmy Smith's album "Back at the Chicken Shack".

As a side note, my vinyl collection is approaching 4,000 albums and are all in pristine condition and are cleaned on a VPI cleaner and played on a setup including a fantastic Music Hall turntable. My cd collection is approaching 3,000.

I also have a bachelors in jazz performance from University of North Texas and went most of my through my Masters at Northern Illinois University before I left to play professional trumpet for 10 years.

If you want some more music recommendations, send me a PM and we can chat forever.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Rack 'em Up by Jonny Lang is a new/old standard. I know you said no SRV or ZZTop but Dirty Pool by SRV is fun and LaGrange is about as old school as you can get. Cheatin' & Stealin' by Texas Johnny Brown is one of my favorites even though it's got nothing to do with pool (it's a "jump blues" written for dance halls; not gritty blues). Bad, Bad LeRoy Brown by Jim Croce is almost a cliche, but fun anyway.

If you're looking for old school I'd recommend Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Albert King, Elmore James and Buddy Guy (although Buddy does a lot of newer blues too, since he's still among the living).

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Can't go wrong with John Lee Hooker:
I'm Bad Like Jesse James
Boom Boom
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Bluebird
You Know, I Know
Think Twice Before You Go
I Can't Quit You Baby (how's that for a pool song?)
etc., etc.

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
Jonny langs 1st 2 albums are great.
Strong persuader by Robert Cray, really anything by Robert Cray. Gary Moore is really good too, "still got the blues for you " is one of my favorite songs.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Totally agree, blues and pool is like bacon and anything. Personally, I like BB King in the background.
:D

1pocketpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jonny langs 1st 2 albums are great.
Strong persuader by Robert Cray, really anything by Robert Cray. Gary Moore is really good too, "still got the blues for you " is one of my favorite songs.

Tough to do any better than Robert Cray and Gary Moore!

billy's boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any Robert Johnson is great to play to. Jimi Hendrix Catfish Blues or the original Voodo Chile. Lightnin Hopkins is also a personal favorite.

blah blah

Shoebat
All good, but why no women blues singers so far?

Dinah Washington- Birth of the Blues/ I Don't Hurt Anymore and Big Long Slidin' Thing

Koko Taylor- That's Why I'm Crying and I'd Rather Go Blind

Etta James- I'll Drown In My Own Tears and I Sing the Blues

Ruth Brown- Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean and If I Can't Sell It

Big Mama Thornton- Ain't Nothing You Can Do and Everything Gonna Be Alright and Little Red Rooster

Esther Phillips- No Headstone On My Grave and Set Me Free

Billie Holliday- Ain't Nobody's Business

(ok- just saw DoubleD mentioned Billie)

JMW

Seen Your Member
Silver Member
Hendrix....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I'll second and third Robert Cray.

Eric Clapton, and with BB King are good choices.

Hell, even Led Zeppelin 1 is worthy of your time.

Check out the CDs of a band named the Delgado Brothers. They're from East LA. Very smooth and polished. Great sound.

Joe Cocker is a real good listen, anytime.

A band called Delta Blues, featuring Brandon Santini on lead vocals... great singer. He's since gone solo so google him as well as the band. ""Devil Had a Woman" is the name of the band's album. Fantastic song. The rest of the line is "Devil Had a Woman that Looked a Lot like You".

One of my all time favorites... Donald Ray Johnson, an old black, blind Canadian from Calgary with a deep rich voice that you could sit on it's so solid. Also listed under Don Johnson. Google both. My favorite song... "Last Two Dollars".

And my last solid recommendation... Karen Lovely. This lady is Etta James reincarnated. Her voice is so pure and she pours her heart into every song. She is a "must listen to". Every song on her "Still the Rain" album is gold.

Check her, Donald Ray and Brandon Santini out and get back to me with your thoughts/reactions.

I listen to all regularly in my garage while hitting balls. I play them on my Bose SoundLink, which connects to my android smart phone via Bluetooth technology.

Cheers brother.

GreenFeltguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blues guitar player plays pool

Boogie Long, perhaps the best young blues guitarist in the country is a regular at Mike Black's pool room in Baton Rouge. boogie has been known to wager on occasion, lol !

dakraljic

Banned
I am a big blues fun.I like many direction of blues and periods as well.I even collect cds and have around 3500 blues cds.One great relatively new group I like very much is Delta Moon.Very good album from them is Howlin' at the Sothern Moon.
Scot H Biram has some great stuffs too,although he is more country than blues.
Otis Rush,Luther Allison,Magic Sam,Lightin' Hopkins,Big Joe Turner,Louissiana Red,Earl Hooker,Snooks Eaglin,Roy Buchanan,Duane Allman,Sonny Landreth,Jim Suhler,Sonny Moorman group and more.
Oh,I love them all and I can play some good poll listening to this stuff.
Everyone would suggest to find and listen song by Luther Allison named Cherry Red Wine.One of the greatest blues songs of all time.

Last edited:

Landon Shuffett

Registered
I love blues and often listen to it while I'm practicing. My favorite guitarists of all time is Clapton, Page and Hendrix, all rooted deeply in blues.

I would suggest John Mayall's Bluesbreakers "Beano" album. This isn't just Eric playing the blues but this is 1965 when he was 20 years old. His playing on this album earned him the "God" like status. Also, anything he did with the trio Cream is fantastic as well.

Led Zeppelin I was their first record released in 1968. Sure, the music is pretty heavy but out of the 9 songs on that album 4 or 5 of the songs are straight blues and Jimmy Page is completely unique. (other songs are great as well)

And of course the obvious album for Hendrix is his "Blues" album that has all the legends on the cover...it's pretty intense. I would also suggest "Valleys of Neptune."

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love blues and often listen to it while I'm practicing. My favorite guitarists of all time is Clapton, Page and Hendrix, all rooted deeply in blues.

I would suggest John Mayall's Bluesbreakers "Beano" album. This isn't just Eric playing the blues but this is 1965 when he was 20 years old. His playing on this album earned him the "God" like status. Also, anything he did with the trio Cream is fantastic as well.

Led Zeppelin I was their first record released in 1968. Sure, the music is pretty heavy but out of the 9 songs on that album 4 or 5 of the songs are straight blues and Jimmy Page is completely unique. (other songs are great as well)

And of course the obvious album for Hendrix is his "Blues" album that has all the legends on the cover...it's pretty intense. I would also suggest "Valleys of Neptune."

Landon, you have good taste in music! :cool:

I used to be a big fan of Cream, saw them in concert.

Here's Cream when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performing "Crossroads" ---> HERE

My favorite Clapton song is Layla Unplugged. I could listen to this one all day playing pool ---> HERE