TAR 39 The Last Waltz

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have gotten a bunch of questions and just wanted to tell people what the deal is.

For months Mark and I have been talking about what we wanted to do going forward with TAR. 2013 was a rough year. The studio lease is up in July and we needed to decide what we both wanted to do. After many conversations today it was decided to wrap it up but no firm plans on exactly how it was going to be done. Just that it was over. Mark has put a good amount of money into TAR and I have sank the last seven years of my life into it. Neither of us like to give up but I believe its the right decision for both of us.

A lot of thoughts and emotions were going through me and I knew it was the right answer but I hate to give up. As I was thinking about all of this I was looking at the TAR 39 banner and thought "How can you ever do better than this match?" Then I started thinking about Chad and what he would of thought. He would of said "Thats how we do it."

Whenever I make decisions I try to think of things in the past I have experienced, read about or heard about that are relevant to the situation and try to take lessons from those. What popped into my head was The Band and their last concert which was filmed by Martin Scorsese and titled "The Last Waltz". They decided to go out with a fantastic last performance. Proud of what they had done and ending it on their terms.

I thought to myself "This is the best possible match we could have. How do you not end with this one even if there is a few months to cobble something else together that may or may not make a few bucks?" So I made my personal decision that this is the last TAR match for me. I am the type of person that is either on or off. You either do something or you don't. So if we are ending this thing lets end it the right way. Thats why TAR 39 is the end of the run.

Efren and Shane are what Chad and I wanted TAR to be about from the beginning. The best going heads up. In the beginning it was in action. As things progressed it morphed into something more structured and better on the players but the core of it was the same. Two champions. One winner. Billy Incardona once said "I feel lucky to have been here when Efren was here to see him play." I feel that way about both Efren and Shane so thats why to me this is the only way to end TAR's run.

TAR is not going disappear on Monday. I have some commitments over the next few months and I will honor them. One is the US Bar Table Championships in Reno. I will be there with Andy Chen and Tim Wampler like last year to cover the events for CSI. Some decisions will be made about different things and I plan for the TAR archives to be around for people to see what we did but TAR 39 is the last one on one match I plan on ever doing under a TAR banner because it simply doesnt get any better. If you are going to go out then you should go out in style.

Thank you to everyone who has supported TAR through the years. Without all of you none of the great matches and moments we were able to capture would have happened. I can't begin to list everyone as it would take pages. Just know that I deeply appreciate the fact you have allowed me to do things and live a life that has been great for the last seven years. I hope everyone who can will join us this weekend for the last one.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news and thanks for the great matches you have put together. I agree that this one is special. You got Efren who is the best of his generation playing Shane who is in his prime and who knows what he will accomplish before he is done. The great thing is that they are playing two of Efren's strongest games. Watching the rotation will be a treat because I haven't seen much of it.

Both of these players are class acts, I hope it's a great match. And best of luck to you Justin, in your future endeavors, and to everyone associated with TAR.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Justin I think the good lord made you super sized just because he knew the amount of character you were going to develop over the last 7 years... Hope to meet you at the bar Table championships before the run is over...

Chris

bflojosh

The sneakiest sneaky
Silver Member
Sorry to see you go. If it wasn't for what you have put together a guy like me would have very limited opportunities to see the level of play that I've seen on TAR.
I hope you future endeavors are prosperous.
You've done a lot for the game and we are lucky to have guys like you, Chad, and Mark around.

JStarkweather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for everything Justin, I always looked forward to seeing the TAR matches even though I missed many due to other engagements. I hope in time all 39 will be archived to watch, I'm sure I and many others would gladly purchase these to have to enjoy for many years. Best of luck.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Thanks for all the time, effort and money you both put into TAR.
I have had a lot of fun watching the matches and the podcasts through the years.
I wish you the best of lucks in your future endeavors.

Jadssons

Rehab is for Quitters
Silver Member
Thanks Justin for bringing us such great matches over the years. Your hard work and dedication to the sport will be missed. Chad would be very proud of what TAR has meant to so many people. Good luck in your future endeavors.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I look forward to these TAR matches every month:mad:
Thanks for all you've done for our sport. You definitely left it better than you found it!!!

Put_upor_shutup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn..Just Damn..That's all I got..That tar banner has become a standard in the pool world..From the little I knew of chad though I'm sure he would be proud as ever for the matchup u r closing out with..Just Damn bro..Damn..

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Sad to hear...

Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication over the years Justin, Mark, and Chad (RIP.) The game, and all of us who have played it, owe you all a large debt of gratitude.

Personally, I feel lucky to have been here to watch you transform the delivery of the game, and to have watched so many memorable moments over the years. Thank you for providing us all with quality entertainment for so many years, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

The TAR era is certainly a legacy to be proud of my friend!

Mr H <-- BIG TAR fan!

Last edited:

ralphe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks Justin! TAR will be missed.

have been a customer from the first days and I'm thankful for all the sleepless nights you have brought me. ;)

good look to you in your future. all the best!

Wright Shot

Sugartree Madness
Silver Member
Bravo

You have done Well. Good Luck and I wish you luck and prosperity in your future endeavors.

Chris

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fukcin-a, man!

That is a helluva machine you built and our world truly benefitted in a massive way as a result. We sure will be sad, but we live on an as friends, support you in the decision and probably the next one too ;).

Be proud, man. You are a bad mofo and you did something nobody did before or has been able to duplicate.

Glad to have been there for the ride.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin,

Thanks for the many hours of entertainment you have given us. You did something rarely found in today's pool world...you made things happen.
Best of luck in your future endeavors. I hope you remain involved in pool to some extent. Pool needs someone with your talents

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your efforts.

We often did not see eye to eye, I think you had good intentions, and when it came down to it we both wanted the best for pool.

Like many here, there were some pretty funny moments. I did not buy all of the streams, but there were some dandy moments. A "Best of" would be a pretty funny DVD, with Earl and his magnifing glass, and John Schmidt and his laser shooting cue.

I never understood how the numbers could work out financially, but I didnt know all the details and frankly it wasnt my business to know. Currently I am finishing my MBA currently, it might make an interesting study.

I know lots of folks threw rocks at Bonus Ball on their financials, I didnt understand that either without commercial advertising in a bigger market.

I wish you the best of rolls, my friend.

Ken

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the effort you have put forth. You guys built something you can be very proud of. What a legacy !!

It says a lot about this industry that something as top-shelf as TAR cannot make it. :(