Revo pros & cons from someone who knows how to play

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll try to keep it short and hopefully useful to someone who's thinking about getting one.

The important and the obvious: imagine Michael Jordan in his prime playing Lebron James in his prime ( basketball 1-on-1 ). One of them is gonna win regardless of what pro basketball shoes he's wearing. Sure some shoes are more comfortable but not much of a factor in the outcome. Same thing with pool. The better player will win regardless of cue.

Why I got it. I'd go hey is that a revo? Yes. Can I check it out? Sure. I'd shoot a few balls with it hand it back. After a few months of that I realized I never missed a ball with a Revo. So I decided it was a magic stick and bought one. Quickly realized it's very possible to miss with a Revo.

The bad: yes it's true that it's so smooth you don't need a glove. But the feelings of that shaft against my skin felt uncomfortable. I prefer the feeling of wood. But doesn't matter to me since I always shoot with a glove.

The bad: if you aim using the shaft like SVB and not ball to ball like Efren it'll take time to adjust because the shaft is black. Especially true in darker rooms. First 2 days was a nightmare I couldn't aim using English ( I use the side of the shaft to aim when I spin ). After a few days it wasn't a factor my eyes/brain got used to it.

The bad: only comes in uniloc or radial so if your butts are different you'll have to change the insert which will void the warranty. I found this out when I broke my Revo. After about a month of dealing with their customer service ( nightmare ) they were kind enough to ship me a new one.

The bad: people will come up to you and ask if it's a Revo and ask to hold it. If you don't like that sort of attention it can be annoying. I don't mind.

The good. It's very low deflection. It makes me feel cool. I'm that guy with the Revo. I like the aesthetic. I like fashion and prefer nice things. I don't mind being seduced by the new shiny object. I like making money and I like spending money. Performance wise it feels good. But I'd say I'm just as dangerous with my mezz shafts. Love the wx900 for example. The mezz is 12mm the Revo is 12.4. To be honest I can play with any low deflection shaft but for now I prefer the Revo.

Note: The shaft is marketed as a 12.4, it's actually 12.5mm. Doesn't really matter but worth mentioning.

Mine came with a soft tip. I heard that it feels like a medium because it's on a carbon fiber shaft. Nope. It feels like a soft tip because it's a soft tip.

If you want it and you got the money get it. Think of it like buying a new jacket or a new pair of shoes. Don't think of it as buying a new computer. If it's better than other shafts on the market the difference is so tiny that it's not worth mentioning. It's all in the stroke, pattern play, speed control, mental game, etc etc.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This aligns 100% with my experience with mine. I’ve had it for about a year now. Very shiny shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll try to keep it short and hopefully useful to someone who's thinking about getting one.

The important and the obvious: imagine Michael Jordan in his prime playing Lebron James in his prime ( basketball 1-on-1 ). One of them is gonna win regardless of what pro basketball shoes he's wearing. Sure some shoes are more comfortable but not much of a factor in the outcome. Same thing with pool. The better player will win regardless of cue.

Why I got it. I'd go hey is that a revo? Yes. Can I check it out? Sure. I'd shoot a few balls with it hand it back. After a few months of that I realized I never missed a ball with a Revo. So I decided it was a magic stick and bought one. Quickly realized it's very possible to miss with a Revo.

The bad: yes it's true that it's so smooth you don't need a glove. But the feelings of that shaft against my skin felt uncomfortable. I prefer the feeling of wood. But doesn't matter to me since I always shoot with a glove.

The bad: if you aim using the shaft like SVB and not ball to ball like Efren it'll take time to adjust because the shaft is black. Especially true in darker rooms. First 2 days was a nightmare I couldn't aim using English ( I use the side of the shaft to aim when I spin ). After a few days it wasn't a factor my eyes/brain got used to it.

The bad: only comes in uniloc or radial so if your butts are different you'll have to change the insert which will void the warranty. I found this out when I broke my Revo. After about a month of dealing with their customer service ( nightmare ) they were kind enough to ship me a new one.

The bad: people will come up to you and ask if it's a Revo and ask to hold it. If you don't like that sort of attention it can be annoying. I don't mind.

The good. It's very low deflection. It makes me feel cool. I'm that guy with the Revo. I like the aesthetic. I like fashion and prefer nice things. I don't mind being seduced by the new shiny object. I like making money and I like spending money. Performance wise it feels good. But I'd say I'm just as dangerous with my mezz shafts. Love the wx900 for example. The mezz is 12mm the Revo is 12.4. To be honest I can play with any low deflection shaft but for now I prefer the Revo.

Note: The shaft is marketed as a 12.4, it's actually 12.5mm. Doesn't really matter but worth mentioning.

Mine came with a soft tip. I heard that it feels like a medium because it's on a carbon fiber shaft. Nope. It feels like a soft tip because it's a soft tip.

If you want it and you got the money get it. Think of it like buying a new jacket or a new pair of shoes. Don't think of it as buying a new computer. If it's better than other shafts on the market the difference is so tiny that it's not worth mentioning. It's all in the stroke, pattern play, speed control, mental game, etc etc.

I agree as well:grin-square:

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Thanks for taking the time to write about this. I too agree, and still have no need for one. It's kinda sad to see a decent player miss, lose, struggle, and make excuses for their new 500 dollar shaft. But hey, to each their own. Great write up. Matt D.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought a 12.9,tried it for a few minutes and decided to get a 12.4 to test

I like it but it doesn't fit my favorite cue of the present
I would like to sell for $450,just a few minutes old,looks new
dean
214 477 7323

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

sent you a greenie
i agree 100%....its not the holy grail.......:)

DWreckTheBoss

Registered

What did you do to break the revo??

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did you break it?

I had to run to the bathroom at a tourney and heard my name table 7. A scetchy guy was standing next to my 3x6 hard case with my wallet inside and the revo sticking out. Instead of unscrewing and storing the shaft I threw the case over my shoulder and ran to the bathroom. The revo was sticking out above my head and it hit the door frame. Didnt think much of it since thought it was impossible to break it. Get to table 7. On my first shot the dent in the shaft cut my finger.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good to see this review

Great review, good to see one from a great player. It's hard
to tell how the Revo plays when the guy testing it describes
himself as a banger or "not a very good player"
jack

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No mention of your coverage of the cons as to the unusual sound of the Revo when you hit it and the completely different feel feedback when you hit it? It certainly can't compare to a Mezz shaft in that regard, which are the main reasons I gave up the Revo after about 6 months.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a believer in fine Maple shafts, here is one simple fact,

Carbon Fiber shafts will never be able to do what a Maple shaft can do.

Proof?

The front of Jay's book.

"Take the Revo challenge, bend it like Jays."

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No mention of your coverage of the cons as to the unusual sound of the Revo when you hit it and the completely different feel feedback when you hit it? It certainly can't compare to a Mezz shaft in that regard, which are the main reasons I gave up the Revo after about 6 months.

The hit is very different but you get used to it after a few days. To be honest if I’m playing well I’m not really aware of the cue in my hands. I’m just solving a puzzle and the balls disappear themselves. Not to compare myself to Michael Jordan, but a pro basketball player is not thinking about the way his shoes feel while he’s playing. He’s just trying to win the game. If he’s thinking about the shoes he’s in trouble.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All cues make some sort of "sound".

I prefer a "muted" sound, if you will. That is my personal preference and it may not appeal to others.

I hate playing with a cue that makes a "high pitched pinging sound", but some people love that sound and play with the hardest tip possible in order to hear it. A lot of cues that are set up to make this sound have very "harsh" hits, which do not appeal to me.

It is kind of like dribbling a basketball. If the ball doesn't have enough air, it will make a "thud" and not respond the way you like. If you overfill it, it will bounce too high and make a different sound. I like a basketball that is filled the way it feels best to "me" and allows me to "control" it best.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you know how to play you'll prefer thinner shafts.
That darn 12,4 or 12,9 is by far too thick for any measure.

In short, don't.

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In short, don't.

Revo gives you low deflection and also the forgiveness of a larger tip. I played with a z shaft for years and the revo is a great improvement.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
There's no downsides to the REVO except for "feel" which is subjective. For players who have played with maple or a specific shaft for many years and who also aren't the types of people who can adapt or change easily - they will have a hard time warming up to such a radical change. It's the same effect we saw back when the 314 first came out and the solid maple shaft traditionalists felt the 314 didn't give the same feedback and felt dead. It is true, the feedback and feel of even the original 314 was less than that of a high quality solid maple shaft. Going from maple to carbon fiber is an even bigger jump. This isn't to say these shafts do not have any feel or feedback. They do, but it is quite different.

Beyond feel, the REVO is superior in every regard. I personally don't care for the LD characteristics. Although, it is nice to have. In other words, LD doesn't make balls for me or anyone.

For me, no warping, no wobbles, no dings, no chalk and grime getting in the grain, staying slick, being able to be cleaned easier, not sensitive to temperature changes are all huge factors. I like the REVO for these qualities.

All this BS about more control, power, spin and whatever is just hype. Same claims made by all cue companies for decades.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
As far as LD, I don't think the REVO is as LD as the Z. I think it is in between the Z and the 314, but a lot closer to the Z.

I know the claim is that it is as low deflection as the Z or better. I just don't notice that. Maybe it's me. Maybe the tip on mine is too large or heavy.

Either way, it is one of the lowest deflection shafts out there, and it doesn't matter anyway since LD does nothing to make balls for you.

However, having a normal tip diameter is a lot better at least for me. Feels more solid on the end, more stable. Z is like a twig and is never pleasant to shoot rail shots with top. REVO feels better, stiffer and more solid while being better than a 314 and not being weird like a Z, what's not to like?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In short, don't.

I'll be sure to tell that to Rodney Morris the next time I see him.

He must not know how to play correctly.

He told me that he likes a 12.7mm wood shafts with full ivory ferrules and Triangle tips. He also prefers steel jointed cues.

I'll also tell him that you'd be open to giving him some lessons the next time he goes to Germany.