Were Lepro tips ever black?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what they say, "Once you go black you'll..........". Well, yeah, you know the drill. ;)

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post #16

IMO

Here... why don't I just *POP*

Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:07:05 PM
To: skip@tweeten.us
Subject: Le pro cue tips

Hello,

Can you please help me with an argument regarding your Le pro cue tips. I read online where a gentleman is looking for the “black Le pro tips from the 80’s” I asserted that there is no difference now or ever in the tanning process or look of a le pro cue tip. I have a large collection of 1970” and 1980” pool cues most all of witch came with them installed. They all look exactly the same as they do today. Am I wrong?

Thank you,

Jay Baldwin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello Jay
You are absolutely right, no such thing as a black LePro. Was probably some counterfeit thing or someone’s alteration.

Cheers,
Skip

Skip Nemecek

There we go...

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
I'm talking about "new old stock" being black. Installed LePros are sanded, trimmed, and
shaped, and look like any other LePro.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I know tip guys who make them black after installation, using a sharpie of something.
Dr. Doug infamous tip guy typically uses a sharpie on Elkmasters, and sometimes puts superglue on the sides of tips which darkens them.
Either way, from a couple feet away you can't tell brown from black on a Lepro, and just burnishing Lepro darkens them as well.

Certain water buffalo tips are mistaken for Lepro, especially on some of the vintage cues I get with original tips.

Surprised anyone uses Lepro, I hate them

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman, Howdy;

Thanks I musta missed that one. Should have put this thread to bed ... but, I reckon
others just gotta make their point, even if sixteen others have for them already.

hank

We don't bother to make points. There's no point.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the '80's about all we used were LePro's and Triangles. Must have seen at least 2-300 LP's and they varied from light brown to near black. Never saw one that was BLACK black. Wish i'd rat-hole'd a bunch of Champions. Best single-layer tip EVER imho.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I highly doubt Tweeten would tan a Lepro tip for any reason.
Decent discussion though.
Unless a tip installation guy, cuemaker, player, whoever artificially darkened them they are not black.
Other tips like tanned water buffalo & Rocky are often mistaken for Lepro

You've missed my point like a blind man would miss the broad side of a barn after being spun around randomly three times. They're the manufacturer, as best as I can tell. Always have been. The OP doesn't want to listen to us. Let him go argue with them.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Back in the '80's about all we used were LePro's and Triangles. Must have seen at least 2-300 LP's and they varied from light brown to near black. Never saw one that was BLACK black. Wish i'd rat-hole'd a bunch of Champions. Best single-layer tip EVER imho.

I just replaced the Champion on my 73 Meucci. It was time... but I didn't have access to another so I put a LePro on. LOVE Champions.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You've missed my point like a blind man would miss the broad side of a barn after being spun around randomly three times. They're the manufacturer, as best as I can tell. Always have been. The OP doesn't want to listen to us. Let him go argue with them.

I've experimented and used more tips and ferrules than most people.
The point of the forum is to have a good discussion, not copy & paste a link to the manufacturer.
I wasn't looking at it from an argumentative standpoint.
In that I buy, sell and play with hundreds of vintage cues I see a lot of stuff and many people contact me 24/7 with questions seeking advice on pool cues.
Anybody can call the manufacturer, why spoil the fun

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just replaced the Champion on my 73 Meucci. It was time... but I didn't have access to another so I put a LePro on. LOVE Champions.

Ask around. Build your network. Some of us have them. But such things are usually held close. Like KU bumpers and Westinghouse micarta and Cortland linen.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've experimented and used more tips and ferrules than most people.
The point of the forum is to have a good discussion, not copy & paste a link to the manufacturer.
I wasn't looking at it from an argumentative standpoint.
In that I buy, sell and play with hundreds of vintage cues I see a lot of stuff and many people contact me 24/7 with questions seeking advice on pool cues.
Anybody can call the manufacturer, why spoil the fun

I understand what the forum is for. The time for discussion has long past. The OP does not believe what we're saying. As such, I provided him an avenue for verifying himself.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Someone told me I screwed up by replacing the Champions on my '76 Kersenbrock with Tiger Onyx.
I didn't think it was a big deal but just in case a friend just sent me these to save the day.

20180708_134732.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Someone told me I screwed up by replacing the Champions on my '76 Kersenbrock with Tiger Onyx.
I didn't think it was a big deal but just in case a friend just sent me these to save the day.

Sorry, but it wouldn't save your day. Those Chandivert tips are not the same as the original Champion and Crown tips back in the day. Better to have the real thing.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

One of the rare, correct posts in this thread. A lot of way earlier LePros were very dark, and didn't fluff up like the modern medium brown ones.

If you weren't playing pool in the late 60s and early 70s, I don't think you have the history. But this is one correct post, regardless of what the factory has to say.

All the best,
WW