Mezz Wavy Joint Question

Blue11

Registered
Hello all, are special tools needed to replace the tip on a Mezz shaft with a Wavy joint?
I've done some searches but can't seem to find the answer. Unfortunately, I'm in an area where there are not a lot of people working on cues. I'm worried the local guy won't have the proper equipment when I need a tip replaced.
I'm looking to get a Mezz and would like to try one with a wavy joint but may have to rethink my decision if special tools are needed.

Thanks in advance

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Wavy threads has nothing to do with the tip or ferrule, you change tips on any Mezz shaft, just like you would with any other shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all, are special tools needed to replace the tip on a Mezz shaft with a Wavy joint?
I've done some searches but can't seem to find the answer. Unfortunately, I'm in an area where there are not a lot of people working on cues. I'm worried the local guy won't have the proper equipment when I need a tip replaced.
I'm looking to get a Mezz and would like to try one with a wavy joint but may have to rethink my decision if special tools are needed.

Thanks in advance
The collett goes around the shaft. Don't need a Wavy pilot just to change tips as KB stated.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Make sure you get the joint protector.
Comes handy when the shafts need sanding and cleaning/polishing.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that hard, the part of the pin that goes into the butt is actually 5/16-14.
My question is as usual: why?

I found a pretty good deal on Wavy Joint Shaft/Shafts, and I have a couple of (cheaper) McDermott butts so i'd like to try the wavy joint pin in one of McDermott cues. Before I get a cue made, I'd like to try several different cues, and shafts.

I had assumed it wouldn't be real expensive.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a pretty good deal on Wavy Joint Shaft/Shafts, and I have a couple of (cheaper) McDermott butts so i'd like to try the wavy joint pin in one of McDermott cues. Before I get a cue made, I'd like to try several different cues, and shafts.

McDermott uses some seriously strong glue, I've had trouble removing a few McDermott pins... on McDermott the jointcollar is usually in the .850" range,. Mezz shafts are .840"

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shafts

Removing the 3/8 10 pin can be problematic or easy depending. You have to remove pin, plug hole, drill and tap for wavy pin. Therefore, the good price on the Wavy shaft gets more expensive quick. Besides the fact that there's a joint size discrepancy.

Mario

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Removing the 3/8 10 pin can be problematic or easy depending. You have to remove pin, plug hole, drill and tap for wavy pin. Therefore, the good price on the Wavy shaft gets more expensive quick. Besides the fact that there's a joint size discrepancy.

Mario

I appreciate the information Mario. I thought, maybe the TPI of the pin insert was the same, so I thought it was something i'd try. But if the hole has to be plugged, drilled and re-tapped, i'd never be able to drill it straight and center it up.

Thanks garcar. Yeah, that's a little more than i would pay for a 1 or 2 time use.
Atlas sells them. The tap to thread a shaft is $400bux. Yeah, that is the right price. You already have shaft(s) for a Wavy?

Thanks Kim.
McDermott uses some seriously strong glue, I've had trouble removing a few McDermott pins... on McDermott the jointcollar is usually in the .850" range,. Mezz shafts are .840"

I didn't think about that either. I'm learning a lot from y'all, and I certainly appreciate you guys taking time to answer my questions.

Eddie

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Find someone with the tap and they can do it. Not many have it due to the price tag on it.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been looking for a new cue, but these types of custom joints really turn me off to some company's. I don't want to be tied into just their stuff (or pay a lot to get others modified) for almost no gain. I really wish some of these company's would just use standardized joints and let it be. Until one of them comes out with something revolutionary at least. The two cues that I really liked both have some type of custom joint (Mezz and Peacher)

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Atlas sells them. The tap to thread a shaft is $400bux. Yeah, that is the right price. You already have shaft(s) for a Wavy? https://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=350&ITEM_ID=6338
I know one more seller selling the taps for wavy thread. He's also here on AZ (metalware10). He's from China and I've ordered various stuff for cue work from him. So far I'm very satisfied with what I got: the products, communication, shipping and can recommend him. He offers the tap for wavy at 100$ price. Not cheap but at least 4 times less...

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know one more seller selling the taps for wavy thread. He's also here on AZ (metalware10). He's from China and I've ordered various stuff for cue work from him. So far I'm very satisfied with what I got: the products, communication, shipping and can recommend him. He offers the tap for wavy at 100$ price. Not cheap but at least 4 times less...

Definitely sounds like a good person to do business with.

jemerson23

Shoot to Thrill
Silver Member
Little late here, but worth noting. I own a Mezz AXI with Wavy. The shaft actually fits the regular 3/8 x 10 pin on my McDermott butt. It wont work on a modified 3/8 x 10. But it fis fine on he standard McDermott joint. Save yourself some money.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Little late here, but worth noting. I own a Mezz AXI with Wavy. The shaft actually fits the regular 3/8 x 10 pin on my McDermott butt. It wont work on a modified 3/8 x 10. But it fis fine on he standard McDermott joint. Save yourself some money.

Maybe you shouldnt give bad advice like that?
That gif is anoying as F!

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that hard, the part of the pin that goes into the butt is actually 5/16-14.
My question is as usual: why?

My thought exactly. Everybody has whatever they need to work on a 3/8-10. Wavy is only common to certain areas right now.