My Future In This Hobby Is Gloomy - Perhaps?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, folks, most of you know that pool is easily my #1 hobby. however, the next several weeks/months could possibly drastically change my pool playing future.

i work at a naval base here in SW Indiana, its called the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center, and it is on the list for possible closing in the BRAC process. BRAC stands for Base Realignment And Closing. the Defense Dept. has undergone two previous BRAC situations, back around 1995 and again around 2000 i believe. so far, Crane has survived both. the outlook this time isnt quite as good, some say 51-49 right now in favor of our survival. the next several weeks and months might tell the tale.

so, if the Crane base gets closed, around 3,000 people will eventually be out of a job. including me. it might take a year or so for the transition process to go through, but i would be fortunate to find any decent job around here. Wal-Mart is looking better and better, at least thats what me and plenty of others are saying.

i posted this on the pool forum since my pool playing days could be drastically altered. if i would have to relocate i'd have to leave the Gold Crown. and no more buying cues a few times a year, no more going to Peoria for the WPBA event, no more taking lessons from Rossman, Wilson, whoever.

anyway, my pool game might be off the next few weeks, until the announcement is made. hopefully it will be one of survival for myself and 3,000 others.

thanks for reading,
DCP

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Mr. Wilson said:
I hope that whatever happens, that you fare as well as possible.

Dave
good luck Dr.Cue...keep us posted .you have alot of friends here..

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
DCP- Scott is under the BRAC's microscope also, but has been for years and nothing has happened yet. Best of luck to you and the others! I'm sure you have some skills and are full of enough knowledge to get as good a job or better than what you currently have, if it comes to that!

Zim

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
DCP
I work at NAVICP in Mechanicsburg Pa. We were on the list in 1995 and survived, but it was very unsettling during the period that the decision was up in the air. This is one of those things that effect you life that you have no control over so you know you should let it bother your every day life. Very hard to do though. I'll be hoping Crane makes it through.

JR

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege said:
.... hopefully it will be one of survival for myself and 3,000 others.

thanks for reading,
DCP

Good luck. We lost a naval air base around here about 10-15 years ago. It hurt some of the small businesses, but the community survived. We're close to Boston so we weren't dependent on the base. I hope you're community has other economic props or even better the base survives and you don't have to worry about it.
In these times I think none of us can be sure from day to day what our employment situation will be. Our (mine at least) parents had to deal with the depression, but after WWII it got much better for them. Well we're stuck with the downside of that economic bubble (a big, long lasting bubble, but nevertheless a bubble) and will have to deal with that. At least the bubble didn't burst, it's just gradually shrinking much like England's did.

BooBoo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closings

Back in 1993 GM closed a bunch of plants. Mine was one of them. I ended up moving to Michigan. My son was graduating high school that year and decided to go in the Marine Corps. My daughter was in middle school and had no choice. She moved with us. My wife, bless her, made it easy. She said let's go. Some of the other workers weren't as lucky. Well, to make a long story short, it was probably one of the best things that could of happened to us. After 2-3 years it starts feeling like home again. You may not want to hear this, but life goes on and make the best of what you have. Just stay positive and do what you have to do. I wish you all the best. Keep us updated on the situation.