Just stumbled on this youtube clip.. what'd JS and larry nevel do?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I hadn't seen this match tho it's been up for a long time now. Early into the video the commentator implied john and larry did a set the night before they played here. What was it and how did it turn out?

I notice that when a player becomes known for something they find an excuse to use it... a few minutes into this match, larry nevel jacks up, fires at a long 2 across the table, and draws the cue ball the length of the table. I'm surprised he didn't do it one-handed. What do you think Alex or Shane woulda done here?

Edit: and minutes later, a full-cue jump that he made look easy. I think he took john out of his game here because john wanted to prove he could do it too, but John miscued. As far as I know jump cues weren't banned and john usually uses one. So why'd he try that? Or did JS really just masse attempt (very rare to see him do that)?

edit: DAMN THAT WILD TURKEY (throws away his 1 week chip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YPX_MXkRQ

Last edited:

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ummm ????

I hadn't seen this match tho it's been up for a long time now. Early into the video the commentator implied john and larry did a set the night before they played here. What was it and how did it turn out?

I notice that when a player becomes known for something they find an excuse to use it... a few minutes into this match, larry nevel jacks up, fires at a long 2 across the table, and draws the cue ball the length of the table. I'm surprised he didn't do it one-handed. What do you think Alex or Shane woulda done here?

I don't see a link ?

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Edit: and minutes later, a full-cue jump that he made look easy. I think he took john out of his game here because john wanted to prove he could do it too, but John miscued. As far as I know jump cues weren't banned and john usually uses one. So why'd he try that? Or did JS really just masse attempt (very rare to see him do that)?

edit: DAMN THAT WILD TURKEY (throws away his 1 week chip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8YPX_MXkRQ

I can't remember 100%, but I believe Larry told me one time that they played 8 ahead for something like 4k in the middle. I do know 100% that Larry won but there was an issue with some of the money. If you want to know the exact details I could text Larry to find out for sure. Let me know.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Soundwaves, that's a bummer. Works ok for me. It's a pretty interesting match. Larry gets out of the box and starts out pretty strong, and his break is just thunderous. Then john starts sort of making it a breaking competition and really crushing 'em. It was different from his usual break, I swear he was hitting about 20% harder than normal. One of them was clocked at near 27 mph. Between hitting 'em harder and trying a full cue jump (or possibly a masse) it was almost like John was trying to out-nevel larry =)

Both players make some really nice shots, larry can do some pinpoint positioning when he wants to. And he doesn't miss much, no cut scares him. I think john just outmoved and outplanned him.

That's why I was curious about their set... John looked a little tense at the start and larry seemed more relaxed, and for a while larry was on top. Then john busts out the 6-pack.

Supr: If you happen to see him and can get details I'd be curious. I guess they played even? That's pretty strong if larry beat john even. Someone on youtube commented that john's the better tournament player but larry's the better gambler. Think that's true?

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Supr: If you happen to see him and can get details I'd be curious. I guess they played even? That's pretty strong if larry beat john even. Someone on youtube commented that john's the better tournament player but larry's the better gambler. Think that's true?

I sent him a text but he might be sleeping already or possibly working. I can tell you right now that they did play even. The only thing I don't know 100% is the race and the bet.

I don't know who the better gambler would be or the better tournament player. John won the US Open and had won a few matches on TAR. Larry's biggest tournament wins would probably be the Viking Championship and The Great Southern Billiard Tour Championship and he's never been on TAR. He did however offer to play John an all-around consisting of 8-ball, 10-ball and one-pocket on TAR which John declined. He also made an open challenge to any American to play gamble with him and the only person to accept was Archer (who beat Larry), so that might say a little something about what others think of his game. I'm friends with Larry so I'll just throw my biased opinion out there and say that Larry, even in his current "retired" status, is overall a better player than John.

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
I sent him a text but he might be sleeping already or possibly working. I can tell you right now that they did play even. The only thing I don't know 100% is the race and the bet.

I don't know who the better gambler would be or the better tournament player. John won the US Open and had won a few matches on TAR. Larry's biggest tournament wins would probably be the Viking Championship and The Great Southern Billiard Tour Championship and he's never been on TAR. He did however offer to play John an all-around consisting of 8-ball, 10-ball and one-pocket on TAR which John declined. He also made an open challenge to any American to play gamble with him and the only person to accept was Archer (who beat Larry), so that might say a little something about what others think of his game. I'm friends with Larry so I'll just throw my biased opinion out there and say that Larry, even in his current "retired" status, is overall a better player than John.

Yeah i would love to see larry run over 400 in straight pool...not to mention john has a way way more impressive tournament record.

as said by the commentators in the match we are talking about "john would rather eat dirt then lose this match".

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah i would love to see larry run over 400 in straight pool...not to mention john has a way way more impressive tournament record.

as said by the commentators in the match we are talking about "john would rather eat dirt then lose this match".

Yeah, I don't think anybody really cares about straight pool. It's a practice game. Larry's high run is something like 238 or 268 or something like that. I don't think you could pay Larry enough to play enough straight pool to run over 400. lol.

And yep, John's tournament record is more impressive than Larry's. The biggest accomplishments on Larry's tournament record is the All-Around Championship at Derby City (would that even count towards a tournament record?), a few regional tour wins (including the fore mentioned tour championships) and he's like the 10 time Wisconsin State Champion (which is not impressive at all considering it's Wisconsin but I didn't have anything else to put on this list, lol). Since it's soooooooooooo obvious that John is a superior player, how about you talk to him and get him to play that all-around Larry offered him. 8-ball, 10-ball and one-pocket for 10k on TAR? If you can get John to agree, I'll talk to Larry and see if he wants to come out of "retirement" to throw some money away. :thumbup:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
hohoho, my random youtube clip that I stumbled on might turn into a 10k tar match! How cool would that be?

I had been laboring under the assumption that larry was more of a '2nd tier' pro and john was top, so it's a bit of a surprise to hear that larry might actually be a stronger player. Stronger than john is just hard to imagine.

Part of me wants to agree and say "yeah, if he can run 250+, he could probably run 400 if he cared to. So that doesn't automatically mean john's stronger" On the other hand, John said that straight pool is funny. I think the way he phrased it is... Running 200 is not twice as hard as running 100, it's like 10 times as hard.

So running 400 may take a level of focus and ability that way outstrips running 250, even though anything more than 150 is good enough to put you in the box with the best in the world.

Maybe john is ready for another crack at this all-around. I'm surprised he turned it down the first time. John may have some hole in his game at 8-ball or maybe larry's secretly strong at 1p (like john is supposed to be).

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Secretly? Maybe. I don't think there is anyone listed on this page more than Larry though.

Oops, I guess it's not so much a secret as "CreeDo is ignorant" lol.
Larry's on there all over the place, it's true. No wonder John doesn't have to like it.
He's supposed to lose at the 1p and doesn't have to win at the 10b.

Scratch 8b and make it straight pool and I bet John likes it ^^

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larry's on there all over the place, it's true. No wonder John doesn't have to like it.

Larry doesn't play straight pool. It's a practice game. Doesn't matter though, odds are the match is never going to happen. Larry is "retired" and other than the match they talk about in the YouTube video, John has never seemed interested in playing Larry. I'd love for it to happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No disrespect intended toward Larry but if it's 9b, 1p and 14.1 I like John.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
Larry doesn't play straight pool. It's a practice game. Doesn't matter though, odds are the match is never going to happen. Larry is "retired" and other than the match they talk about in the YouTube video, John has never seemed interested in playing Larry. I'd love for it to happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

your right straight pool is a practice game.

suprnva

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
forget 14.1 like 3 people play that game.
now let them play banks 10 and one pocket.
who do you like now.

Full rack banks or short? I like Larry either way, but I'm curious as to which you'd like them to play. Who do you like Chris?