The grass isn't always greener on the other side

odshot68

Registered
Have you ever went shopping for a new cue to think there is something better out there to end up realizing that the cue you had was better. If you have a cue that works perfect for you...leave it be. Words of wisdom for a a thursday afternoon. I ended up selling the new cue and love my old cue again.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I suppose since I got my smart-assed post out of the way I will actually reply to the thread to try to get it back on topic.

I, personally, am not that picky when it comes to the hit of a cue. As long as it has a solid firm hit with decent feedback and a forward balance I'm pretty much happy. That being said, I am very picky about the aesthetic quality of my cues. I really value even points, at all levels of veneers/recuts, sharp inlays and as near to perfection as possible for any other inlay, ring, wrap, finish or point work.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't, or at least try not to, sell my old cues so I can always play with which ever cue I want!

Last edited:

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
odshot68 said:
Have you ever went shopping for a new cue to think there is something better out there to end up realizing that the cue you had was better. If you have a cue that works perfect for you...leave it be. Words of wisdom for a a thursday afternoon. I ended up selling the new cue and love my old cue again.

A guy explained it this way to me --- "its the thrill of the hunt for the perfect cue"

Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i agree...i recently bought a new cue. while i do like it a lot im not going to sell my old player as planned. iv found out thru various things in life "if its not broke, dont fix it". if you are alright with what you have than leave it be...
Jay

Jigger

Lets Roll....(...(..(.(O
Silver Member
enjoy the search

Shopping for cues can be addictive can't it Odshot? I've come to the conclusion that I'll keep my two favorite cues forever. But I still get a kick out of buying and selling a bit - I normally have 6 or 7 cues. It's fun to play with different styles, names etc...

Like you mentioned about "grass always greener", I should have kept a Schon Ltd 642 and a coco, 6pt Andy Gilbert. They both played great and were beautiful work.

There are no local cue dealers/makers or selection at pool halls in this area so my cues that are in transition are fairly easy to sell for my cost plus a drink or two....lol. Anything above a Lucasi, Pechauer or Joss around here is outrageously hot sh-t.:rolleyes:

BigDaddyInc.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes i have a mcdermott that i just can't get away from i've had it for 10 or 11yrs. Every time i think i'll get a different cue i shoot with it for a couple days and go back to my crooked micky d. I really need a new cue but i can't get a new cue with a nylon wrap because it's not hardly an option with any good cue companies anymore my micky d has a nylon wrap but it was an option in like 1996 or so. Maybe that varney guy on here can do a nylon wrap on a new cue? I hate irish linen and i hate a no wrap cue i must have nylon only i think thats another reason i go back to the micky d. Well plus it hits sooo good.