top player spot on wich table??

wich type of table would you play a top player on getting a spot in 9 ball??

• tight pocket

Votes: 43 52.4%
  • big pocket

Votes: 39 47.6%

• Total voters

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
my friend and i had a conversation about a spot in 9 ball. we both took different sides and i told him i would put it to the az community to voice their opinion, so here goes...
a top player offers you a spot(fill in your speed here) playing 9 ball..(money ball spot)
would you rather play that top player on a very, very tight table or a loose table?? 9 footer was our table but feel free to add your track of choice.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really, depends on the spot.

Is the spot games on the wire or early balls,
Phuk! What is the game?
(gawddamit, can't you even read, flat-balls? dood said 9b)

Perk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I would go with the bigger pockets. A top player is going to hit the center of the pocket in most cases regardless, however I would like to know I can cheat the pockets if needed or if I dont hit a shot pure that it still might fall. When I play a better player, the last thing I need is to rattle a few shots due to tight pockets. IMO

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perk said:
Personally I would go with the bigger pockets. A top player is going to hit the center of the pocket in most cases regardless, however I would like to know I can cheat the pockets if needed or if I dont hit a shot pure that it still might fall. When I play a better player, the last thing I need is to rattle a few shots due to tight pockets. IMO
Agreed, the tight pockets would effect the weaker player more than it would the stronger one.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
I would prefer the looser pockets myself. The tighter pockets are gonna affect your ball pocketing ability more than his so I want to be able to run balls when I get the chance. JMO/

Southpaw

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a very simple rule in pool which I realize runs contrary to what people have already said - Anything that promotes more exchange is beneficial to the weaker player. That is to say, if the cloth is slow, the rails are dead or the pockets are tight, usually the weaker player is going to do better than if the equipment were perfect.

With that said, I know some professionals like Mika Immonen are especially comfortable on tight equipment. I'll take my chances with him on buckets, if I have the choice. Against almost anyone else, I have to hope the tighter pockets will afford me a few more innings.

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would prefer a tight table just for the fact that a better player will have to player really good, but his chances of missing a ball are greater than if he was playing of loose equipment. He may just get a enormous lead on loose equipment and the lesser player get fewer chances at the table and go broke without ever getting a chance to play.

Also on loose equipment, making balls on the break creates more opportunities to run out for the better player. All this could be said for the lesser player, however, tighter equipment I think ensures the lesser player will get more opportunities at the table and make the lesser player focus even more to play better. As you see in tournaments today with diamond tables, you see more back and forth play compared to players being dominated as it used to be in the 80s and 90's on loose gold crown tables.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
There is a very simple rule in pool which I realize runs contrary to what people have already said - Anything that promotes more exchange is beneficial to the weaker player. That is to say, if the cloth is slow, the rails are dead or the pockets are tight, usually the weaker player is going to do better than if the equipment were perfect.

With that said, I know some professionals like Mika Immonen are especially comfortable on tight equipment. I'll take my chances with him on buckets, if I have the choice. Against almost anyone else, I have to hope the tighter pockets will afford me a few more innings.

You are not gonna out shoot a top pro on any table, but you have a chance to run balls on a looser table. A top pro will know which shots are too low percentage for him/ her to go for and therefore will out move you...unless you think you can out move a top pro. JMO.

Southpaw

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
Loose pockets... same reason as above.

Unless I am playing Archer... man that guy is a machine on loose pockets. I will only play him if the pockets are smaller than 2 1/2".

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you can out shoot a better player to start with, but if I'm getting the spot I need with a road player the six and out and the breaks. If he rattles a few shots because the tight pockets and leaves me some jawed money balls early, he may put more pressure on himself and end up giving me a chance I might not get on big pockets.

Leonard

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
if the top player is giving me enough weight so that i have the advantage, say maybe the orange crush, i might prefer buckets because then i can keep him in his chair for several racks if i am breaking well. if i am getting too little weight i would prefer tight pockets because they will tend to miss a little bit more giving me more chances to shoot. if the top player is on buckets and you dont have the breaks, he will almost never miss and the spot wont do you any good in your chair.

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
A top pro player rattle a few balls?

poolcuemaster said:
I don't think you can out shoot a better player to start with, but if I'm getting the spot I need with a road player the six and out and the breaks. If he rattles a few shots because the tight pockets and leaves me some jawed money balls early, he may put more pressure on himself and end up giving me a chance I might not get on big pockets.

Leonard
I know of a little known local pro in Florida whose favorite practice is race the ghost on a triple shimmed GC for $100-500 a set. Nobody wants to play him with or without a spot on that table. He holds a few #1 spots in Florida events beating the likes of Corey Duel, and other top players who venture onto the circuits there. Tight and fast doesn't scare guys like him. In fact, they prefer it and practice on them or don't practice in order to maintain their perfect aim and stroke. Any above average player or less would be foolish to take these guys on with or without a spot playing on a fast tight table. if you do, you just lowered your own ball making probability and while letting them get paid to practice on you.

Willie set the world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition on March 19, 1954. To this day the record has not been toppled and many speculate it may never be bested. A handwritten and notarized affidavit[6] with the signatures of more than 35 eyewitnesses exists as proof of this feat.

The record was set on a 4 foot x 8 foot Brunswick pool table with 5 1/2 inch pockets at the East High Billiard Club in Springfield, Ohio. However, today's standard for tables is much more difficult to play on than Mosconi's table, as today's standard tables are 9 foot x 4 1/2 foot with 4 1/2 inch pockets.

I want that extra pocket width, so I can shoot like Mosconi.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tight Pockets

I'm considered an A (or Open) player and if I had to play a world class player with a spot I would want tight pockets. The reason is the world class player would miss a little more therebye giving me a few more opportunities.

The more opportunties I have the better chance I have to win plain and simple.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHATEVER if I EVER SAID IT!!!

Try looking at it like this I would bet if you played a pro ( and played sudden death 7- ball for (you) getting ball in hand, the pro gets it where you shoot it. 95 percent are Dead NUts dreaming if ya think ya have a prayer of a chance. Ten ball and alternate break, maybe even WTB. mark

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
HollyWood said:
Try looking at it like this I would bet if you played a pro ( and played sudden death 7- ball for (you) getting ball in hand, the pro gets it where you shoot it. 95 percent are Dead NUts dreaming if ya think ya have a prayer of a chance. Ten ball and alternate break, maybe even WTB. mark

i have no idea what this means.

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
Preach what you practice

The tighter the table, riff raff blah blah blah.

Make sure your mind is wrapped around the concept. The tighter the table, the more wrapped the player. People like that thrive on tight tables. Frustration is their fuel.

They burn out early though. They stroke hard, at hard targets, to keep the line...

The table sucks, it leans.

Honestly, read the table. The one who understands the table first will win.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
need instant replay button

all that matters is time -itll just take a couple morn minutes on the tighter table sorry for confuseion mark

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:

This my friends is the perfect answer. Can't improve on it. Nice shot, Jude.