Tip for avoiding skid's

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I had a terrible skid in a run a while back and noticed soon after a pattern associated with the dreaded skid'. The problem uhh - cured soon after in the same area as before, I began to take notice a pattern, when I set the cue on the table while re-racking the other 14 balls. I would finish the rack and set the cue tip first facing the rack end usually on the left side of the table. So I guess one should be aware of cleaning the table a little extra due to chalk from the tip creating more build up in that particular area. I only practice a couple of days a week now but when I do I am at the table for several hours at least. A good note here I think is when setting the cue on the slate for a re-rack it's a not good to have the tip near the rack end ever, this helps to prevent skids. Just something to consider as a preventive measure, it's a rough way to lose a high run and the chalk does shed on the table when laying the cue down while proceeding to rack. I use a microfiber towel with watered down rubbing alcohol - plus vacuum too, aramith ball cleaner and so on. After the vacuum I then clean the pockets and rails with new towel and again watered down rubbing alcohol (maybe only 5%) is a great cleaning agent and seems to help detour the skids. I hope this helps anyone interested in Straight Pool and not losing a run due to humidity and or chalk build up from the table. :)

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good tip, thanks. (no pun intended) :grin-square:

I would never leave my cube of chalk on the cloth, but I leave my cue there constantly.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice suggestion. I also noticed some skiding and wonder if this is the cause. We shall se, but thanks for the observation.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good ideas. I keep a paper towel in a couple pockets and wipe the balls off as I remove them from those pockets after each rack.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had a terrible skid in a run a while back and noticed soon after a pattern associated with the dreaded skid'. The problem uhh - cured soon after in the same area as before, i began to take notice a pattern, when i set the cue on the table while re-racking the other 14 balls. I would finish the rack and set the cue tip first facing the rack end usually on the left side of the table. So i guess one should be aware of cleaning the table a little extra due to chalk from the tip creating more build up in that particular area. I only practice a couple of days a week now but when i do i am at the table for several hours at least. A good note here i think is when setting the cue on the slate for a re-rack it's a not good to have the tip near the rack end ever, this helps to prevent skids. Just something to consider as a preventive measure, it's a rough way to lose a high run and the chalk does shed on the table when laying the cue down while proceeding to rack. I use a microfiber towel with watered down rubbing alcohol - plus vacuum too, aramith ball cleaner and so on. After the vacuum i then clean the pockets and rails with new towel and again watered down rubbing alcohol (maybe only 5%) is a great cleaning agent and seems to help detour the skids. I hope this helps anyone interested in straight pool and not losing a run due to humidity and or chalk build up from the table. :)

ya that's why we need to go back to old cloth that-was played on for many years! Any older retired guys would love cloth come back including me. May see more players come out of wood works. The few the proud can play on this kind of cloth!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing lately with the new Cyclops balls from Diamond.I have played with them for about 4 sessions. These balls skid more then a car with bald tires. On some shots the cue ball climbs up a little on the ball before the object ball starts to roll.
Now to be fair these tables have Simonis cloth and are only a couple weeks old.
Anybody else see this with these balls?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a terrible skid in a run a while back and noticed soon after a pattern associated with the dreaded skid'. The problem uhh - cured soon after in the same area as before, I began to take notice a pattern, when I set the cue on the table while re-racking the other 14 balls. I would finish the rack and set the cue tip first facing the rack end usually on the left side of the table. So I guess one should be aware of cleaning the table a little extra due to chalk from the tip creating more build up in that particular area. I only practice a couple of days a week now but when I do I am at the table for several hours at least. A good note here I think is when setting the cue on the slate for a re-rack it's a not good to have the tip near the rack end ever, this helps to prevent skids. Just something to consider as a preventive measure, it's a rough way to lose a high run and the chalk does shed on the table when laying the cue down while proceeding to rack. I use a microfiber towel with watered down rubbing alcohol - plus vacuum too, aramith ball cleaner and so on. After the vacuum I then clean the pockets and rails with new towel and again watered down rubbing alcohol (maybe only 5%) is a great cleaning agent and seems to help detour the skids. I hope this helps anyone interested in Straight Pool and not losing a run due to humidity and or chalk build up from the table. :)

I started cleaning out the pockets (and the rack) at the pool room a long time ago, with a micro-fiber cloth and a spritz of plastic cleaner. I usually go to the pool hall with my own set of balls fresh from a run through in the Diamond ball polisher. So the other day, the little spray bottle I keep with the balls is out of plastic cleaner, so I don't clean out the pockets. Within 20 minutes the balls were filthy and I got a couple of serious skids.

Lou Figueroa

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well;;I got 2 good tips,,one on the cloth and tip idea and the other on making sure the pockets are kept clean as well-I don't know how many good runs that I have had going , only to have the cueball make an object ball move in a way that it would make one shake their head in disbelife....I'm wondering on using Armor All in the plastic pockets for the reason being that it would be easier to clean them,,,
On the cloth cleaning,,from time to time it's the Blue Corral Uphostery Spray after a good vacuuming and then a micro towel with just water. I'll have to try the Alchy mix--guess that would help the cloth to dry a bit faster
Thanks Gents

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Well;;I got 2 good tips,,one on the cloth and tip idea and the other on making sure the pockets are kept clean as well-I don't know how many good runs that I have had going , only to have the cueball make an object ball move in a way that it would make one shake their head in disbelife....I'm wondering on using Armor All in the plastic pockets for the reason being that it would be easier to clean them,,,
On the cloth cleaning,,from time to time it's the Blue Corral Uphostery Spray after a good vacuuming and then a micro towel with just water. I'll have to try the Alchy mix--guess that would help the cloth to dry a bit faster
Thanks Gents

The cloth does indeed dry quicker with a touch of alchy as you say ( I prefer the peppermint flavor).