deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been shocked by the very filthy ,nasty language
that is occurring in the threads lately

i have been around the pool rooms for years,but it seems that
the depravity is gushing forth like i have never seen

it is enough to make a pirate blush,in my opinion
it exposes a mind of inferior abilities trying to impress us with a hammer blow as an appeal to reason

I am afraid to leave my computer on AZ when my wife or grandchildren enter
the room.

No doubt not a few of these vulgar types will take advantage of this request to try and shock me with their vulgar spewings

It appears we have cast off restraint and fear neither GOD or man

I make an appeal to the moderators to act to abolish this offensive
language in print while there is still time

Dean

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Dean, alas, I fear we are witnessing general societal decline, aided and abetted by technology. People will say things on the internet that one would never consider saying to a person's face. Civility is going the way of the dodo I'm afraid.

railbird25

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know I had the same thoughts as I was watching the action room stream with 2 young kids playing a set and hearing f-bombs in the background every other breath. One of the several reasons we can't grow pool, the 2 young men weren't dropping the bombs by the way. I know it goes on everywhere and I slip up myself sometimes but it's not televised for the world to see in a sport that needs all the help it can get.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Carom player's are 100 percent the opposite
Always gentlemanlike, always having fun, even with the person they are playing with

Carom isn't a battle like pool player's make thier games out to be
It's more about what can you do at the table

To hell with pool, it's toxic culture and ever increasingly quick easy games

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

it exposes a mind of inferior abilities trying to impress us with a hammer blow as an appeal to reason

the room.

No doubt not a few of these vulgar types will take advantage of this request to try and shock me with their vulgar spewings

Dean

Please go home and do not return again. :boring:

PS,
Here's a vulgar smilie for you: :kma:

:killingme:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Carom player's are 100 percent the opposite
Always gentlemanlike, always having fun, even with the person they are playing with

Carom isn't a battle like pool player's make thier games out to be
It's more about what can you do at the table

To hell with pool, it's toxic culture and ever increasingly quick easy games

I’ve found a few people who I really enjoy playing pool with. Other than them, you’re absolutely right. Pretty bad culture.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I will admit I can, and do cuss too much. I rarely do in posts online, but I do in person depending on the setting. Good reminder that there is always someone else listening.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the room.

Dean

You are correct.
Now I'm no prude I'm 70 years old and an ex combat Marine.
I've heard it all.
Back in the old days bad language was certainly used but it was somewhat tempered as to where you where and who was present.
The first pool room I hung out in was the early 60's no cursing allowed,it would get you thrown out.
Today i hear people use the F word every other word as they speak.Men and women.
And I've probably been guilty of this in some of my posts.
Dean welcome to 2018.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen any of this and thought it was filtered here anyway. That being the case, or so I thought, I haven't bothered to use my extensive list of curse words in posts. I seldom spend much time here anymore, sadly. AZ ain't what it used to be.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Dean,

Some of the foulest language I've heard was blasted forth from the mouths of the supposed fairer sex. Try very hard not to swear whether in mixed company or with my male friends. Guess like you I come from an earlier and more polite generation.

I remember when comics could make me laugh without the use of a single foul word. Today our society seems to relish in how dirty the comics can be. Guess we have lost the ability to communicate with one another in a civil manner. Whether in person or electronically.

Lyn

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
Some people will have you believe that swearing is a sign of low intelligence and poor vocabulary. Admittedly people whose every other word is a curse word sound like idiots. Apart from that, I don’t buy the idea that if you swear, you’re stupid and have a limited vocabulary. Some of the brightest people I know are the worst culprits. In fact, swearing is dealt with by a totally different region of the brain to language, with scientists arguing that swearing is tied to emotion and instinct, not intelligence.

Swear words add a new depth of meaning to a sentence it might otherwise have lacked. I guess the point I’m trying to make it depends on the text and or meaning the swear word was used. If it was meant as a derogatory remark directly towards someone I would agree that’s uncalled for but if it’s meant to describe a feeling or an emotion I don’t have a problem with that. Big difference in telling someone F-you as opposed to I was so F-ing angry, at least that’s my opinion.

mrshifty

Registered
I agree. There were a couple of posts in the action room thread during the spot shot match that were out of line. If you don't like the match, simply say so and move on. You don't have to go into detail of all the things you find more enjoyable.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Listen, I do not curse or use profanity on AZB because I consider this to be a forum of mixed company. I've seen and been part of both the lower working classes and highly educated classes throughout my lifetime.

But I've spent most of my working life in production factories. I consider myself a highly educated factory laborer.

This imaginary stuff about how our culture is different from say the 1970's in terms of profanity or aggressiveness is just nonsense. Yes, the internet has exposed many classes of people to it that might have insulated themselves from it 20 or 30 years ago, but it was there regardless.

You don't step on my factory floor without hearing both male and female employees enjoying a good session of humorous profanity. I am happily in the center of it. If I walk into a someone else's department and I don't get blasted with humorous and profane commentary, my first reaction is "What the heck did I do to you guys (and gals)?" What, did I rat on somebody or what?

There are reasons why vulgarity rules in the back of most factory, shop, restaurant, and working labor environments. Most of those reasons boil down to lack of stimulation. When you can do a job blindfolded you have to do something to keep your mind, or lack of mind, whichever the case may be, stimulated. Humor is one way, and the other is to keep yourself occupied by sexual thoughts--there isn't much else to do in factory environments no matter what level of production you are involved in.

And today it isn't nearly as bad in a modern factory as it was, say, in the 1970's. If I were to describe what we did in my first factory in the 70's, whether in the factory itself or in the factory bars, I would be banned pronto from this forum unless I used quite of few euphemisms to cover up the actual raw details. I am a product of the American factory system and not in the least bit ashamed. When we exchange stories about our past working lives, my first factory always gets some attention from me.

Oh, I might add that I believe cussing and profanity is an art form--anybody can cuss and swear--only a master can make it a beautiful listening experience--and I've met a few masters in my life.

Agree on every point you made.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the comments in the action room
especially concerning the one handed spot shot action

if anyone finds this less that sickening i will be surprised

to keep us focused,I am talking about in print obscene language like this

it is sickening

for most of my life i have tried toguard myself from this
strangely enough ,in person most people have shown me respect in the pool room
in this regard

many have mentioned it to me and not a few of the lowest creeps have decided i was a square
as a result i have been the reciptant of language bullying which led to pool games

many the foul mouth pool bum has paid their good money to me

it was one of my secrets to taking off so many legendary scores

back between 1980 to 200 i went without many losses while busting hundreds of pool players

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife no longer goes to any tournaments with me because of the language
Sadly it's not only pool but pool has to be right up there with the worst of them
Even during the mosconi cup the commentators kept apologizing for the language
the players were using. We wonder why pool has a bad image.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the room.

Dean
I don't like it either, at all. I would like to know the age, gender, job/career, race/ethnicity, religious preference, political stance, et cetera of the folks that regularly talk like that. I certainly know when, where, and who to expect it from in public. In my 64 years I've used profanity much too often, as I matured it's rare now, I'm proud to say. Also, how they feel about kissing their mamma and/or children with that same filthy mouth!

Last edited: