Ideas for my new basement pool room

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Well, as I said earlier, not going to be playing much or at all this year. But that doesn't mean that I won't be thinking about playing pool. And I will certainly be seeking cool ideas for my new basement pool room. Construction for the new home begins in about a month, so I've got time to ruminate.

How's this for starters, rather than turning this prather shortsplice into a pool cue, how about I repurpose it as the handle for the door to my new pool room/lair?

I want to have some fun with this space.
In case you missed mine from last year, might give you a few ideas.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=474366&share_fid=2711&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
pool room update

OK, here's some pics of the basement pool room, storage room and walkout. Pool room space is 18'6" wide and 22'8" long, as measured from the walkout wall to the wall by the stairs. Pool room light hookup is roughly centered in the space. Curious about everyone's thoughts about how to situate a few spectator chairs, a small bar table and any other thoughts. Also thinking about the wall with the soffet...just embracing the concrete half wall as a design element. In any event, I'm dying to set up the table, but have to wait some months more :angry: I will be very happy to be resume playing some pool!

edit: whoops! really large file size...i'm not particularly adept at tech stuff. Oh well...

Attachments

• basement pool room soffet wall.jpg
    basement pool room soffet wall.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 489
  • basement storage room.jpg
    basement storage room.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 468
  • pool room 1.jpg
    pool room 1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 447
  • pool room soffet wall 2.jpg
    pool room soffet wall 2.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 449
  • pool room view 1.jpg
    pool room view 1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 446

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Additional info: basement ceiling height is 7'8". I've got LED can lights installed in the ceiling and I'm currently thinking about just going the two 4' LED panel light route to light the pool table, not worrying about light diffusers.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Also updated photos in several folders in the link in post # 65. You can take a virtual tour that way if anyone is interested.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Here's the east side with better light. I'm digging the playful roofline and materials. Going to install gardens all around. Will be fun.

Attachments

• exterior picgood light.jpg
    exterior picgood light.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 471

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Well, hit some snags and...ugh...well over on budget. But so it goes I suppose. We shall trudge onwards and upwards (I hope). We do have one super nice entryway now. Check out our front main entry door, nicely trimmed out with all locally milled, nicely figured sassafras wood with an oil finish. I think it's a rather fun touch. The porch surface will be all Pennsylvania dimensional bluestone with two levels of natural limestone steps spanning 11 feet, all dry laid by me. The entry/porch is 8' by 11', so it will be a nice place to chill and gaze out at the French inspired gardens I have envisioned for the "front" of the house. Boy, this is a bunch of work, but it should pay off eventually. Maybe I'll even get to play some pool sometime in the future, lol...

Attachments

• sassafras doorpic2.jpg
    sassafras doorpic2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, hit some snags and...ugh...well over on budget. But so it goes I suppose. We shall trudge onwards and upwards (I hope). We do have one super nice entryway now. Check out our front main entry door, nicely trimmed out with all locally milled, nicely figured sassafras wood with an oil finish. I think it's a rather fun touch. The porch surface will be all Pennsylvania dimensional bluestone with two levels of natural limestone steps spanning 11 feet, all dry laid by me. The entry/porch is 8' by 11', so it will be a nice place to chill and gaze out at the French inspired gardens I have envisioned for the "front" of the house. Boy, this is a bunch of work, but it should pay off eventually. Maybe I'll even get to play some pool sometime in the future, lol...

When you do big projects there is always going to be snags and staying within a budget when building a house is almost impossible. It will be worth it though when it’s all finished.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for keeping the updates coming, this is an enjoyable thread.

WHats the timeline for the house to be complete?

jalapus logan

Silver Member
When you do big projects there is always going to be snags and staying within a budget when building a house is almost impossible. It will be worth it though when it’s all finished.

Thanks for the encouragement!

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Thanks for keeping the updates coming, this is an enjoyable thread.

WHats the timeline for the house to be complete?

I will currently guess we will move in somewhere around July. Shopping for white oak flooring now. It has been proposed using #1 common white oak, but utilizing mixed size boards ranging from 3" to 5" for effect. I am liking that idea and feel that it is true to the spirit of this reimagined farmhouse. What do you guys think?

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will currently guess we will move in somewhere around July. Shopping for white oak flooring now. It has been proposed using #1 common white oak, but utilizing mixed size boards ranging from 3" to 5" for effect. I am liking that idea and feel that it is true to the spirit of this reimagined farmhouse. What do you guys think?

I like the idea. What made you go with white oak? I too prefer white oak for the lack of pink tones. I hear oak prices are variable between red and white, sometimes one is more than the other and vice versa. In my area white oak is more expensive.

I like the mixed board width. Decided on a stain color?

jalapus logan

Silver Member
I like the idea. What made you go with white oak? I too prefer white oak for the lack of pink tones. I hear oak prices are variable between red and white, sometimes one is more than the other and vice versa. In my area white oak is more expensive.

I like the mixed board width. Decided on a stain color?

It is my understanding that white oak is harder than red oak, though admittedly probably not too much. I'm not really drawn to the tones of the red oak personally, though many are. I'm in Lexington KY, which is bourbon country and white oak is being aquired en mass by the bourbon industry for barrels, this driving up the price. At least that is what I'm told. In any event, I like the idea of the #1 common, so it shows the more holes and other characteristics that make natural wood fun.

Oh yeah, I'm preferring no stain, allowing the wood to speak for itself. I will consult others on this though. What are the advantages of staining?

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is my understanding that white oak is harder than red oak, though admittedly probably not too much. I'm not really drawn to the tones of the red oak personally, though many are. I'm in Lexington KY, which is bourbon country and white oak is being aquired en mass by the bourbon industry for barrels, this driving up the price. At least that is what I'm told. In any event, I like the idea of the #1 common, so it shows the more holes and other characteristics that make natural wood fun.

I heard the same thing about hardness. Interesting point about bourbon barrels and white oak. I am just up the street in Cincy, so prices are probably inline. Looking forward to more pics...

Ian

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Hows the house coming?

Hmm...slower going now, but that's ok. White oak floors have been acclimating for the last month and the installer is scheduled to start in two weeks. I have been prepping the front entrance for me to install the natural limestone steps in the past few days. Going to install natural cleft dimensional bluestone as the surface behind the steps. Lotta work, considering I started a new job in the midst of all this. I'll post new pics as we are gearing up for the final push to get into this house. Thanks for your interest...it's been a challenge for sure!