Has anyone thought of modifying pocket shape?

parogen

Registered
After reading a lot of youtube comments about how "boring" it is watching the pros, has there been any consideration to changing the shape of pool table pockets?

The reason it's "boring" is not because of winner break or alternate break, or because of racking and who racks, but (I think) because it's too easy, after one or two safeties, for the pro to run a rack out. Virtually all of the pros at the top level run out a reasonable rack without missing. It makes that part of the viewing experience pretty repetitive and monotonous.

So snooker is a rounded pocket, pool has parallel sides. Shrinking pool pockets serves to narrowing pocketing on all angles and might make rail shots significantly harder. What about instead of parallel, make them slightly inward? That way we keep rail shots, we keep straight in shot width, but we stop players from cheating 2 diamonds into the pocket?

Just a thought.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
People who say pro pool is boring have their problems.
Not the pro-cut pockets.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading a lot of youtube comments about how "boring" it is watching the pros, has there been any consideration to changing the shape of pool table pockets?

The reason it's "boring" is not because of winner break or alternate break, or because of racking and who racks, but (I think) because it's too easy, after one or two safeties, for the pro to run a rack out. Virtually all of the pros at the top level run out a reasonable rack without missing. It makes that part of the viewing experience pretty repetitive and monotonous.

So snooker is a rounded pocket, pool has parallel sides. Shrinking pool pockets serves to narrowing pocketing on all angles and might make rail shots significantly harder. What about instead of parallel, make them slightly inward? That way we keep rail shots, we keep straight in shot width, but we stop players from cheating 2 diamonds into the pocket?

Just a thought.

Isn't that basically a Chinese 8-Ball table?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just a thought.

Not really boring at all. Much better than watching amateurs play extremely long sets. The pockets are fine in my opinion.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just a thought.
Its called a Chinese 8ball table. Basically a 9ft snooker table using pool balls. Really tough. Kinda boring to watch. Leave pool tables alone. As stated above, 4.5 ProCuts is plenty tough.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Change them to be like this.......

Attachments

• CDAA9FD2-D114-4DCC-A157-2F1E3A935238.jpeg
    CDAA9FD2-D114-4DCC-A157-2F1E3A935238.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 548

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about pocket shapes, but I believe I personally would make more balls if I could play on a table with 8 inch pockets. Not sure but I think it would help me.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has to be near the top of the list of all time numbskull threads, ever.

Watching pro level pool is not only about pocketing balls. It's about position play and patterns. Those that can't appreciate the skill it takes to navigate a rack should take up lawn bowling.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Watching pro level pool is not only about pocketing balls. It's about position play and patterns. Those that can't appreciate the skill it takes to navigate a rack should take up lawn bowling.

There is a lot of position play and blocking in Lawn Bowling!

I agree that what happens After a ball is pocketed is what pool is all about.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Just a thought.

My suggestion would be to look for something else more exciting to watch, like paint drying, or grass growing. I've heard from some of the spectators that's it's really entertaining.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What he said.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket facing angles have been modified for years by those reputable mechanics who know how to do it correctly, with 142 degrees +\- 1 degree considered as the traditionally accepted BCA standard spec, which seems to matter very little anymore.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pocket facing angles have been modified for years by those reputable mechanics who know how to do it correctly, with 142 degrees +\- 1 degree considered as the traditionally accepted BCA standard spec, which seems to matter very little anymore.
Here's what that looks like.

pj
chgo

Pocket Angles.jpg

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have seen some with parallel sides, and others where the points are smaller than the throat of the pocket.

All depends on the mechanic I guess.

Pool pockets don’t have parallel sides - they’re already “slightly inward”.

pj
chgo