New practice drill; please tell me what you think.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there are players on this forum that suffer from the same issue(s) I do. Lack of real table time. Then listen up. What I mean by table time is real opponents. I hate practice it's boring and redundant at times. So instead of the typical repetitious drills over and over I like the Ghost type drills that require you to beat the imaginary person or yourself for that matter.

One drill/game I am sure all us have heard of is the 10ball one where you rack the balls break and count how many balls you make before you miss. Then add up 10 racks and the total is compared to a chart that puts you in a different ranked category. That is a fun one but I decided to up the anti. I haven't picked a name for it yet but for now "Consecutive 10 Ball Rotation" will work.

The rules go as follows:

The goal is to get a perfect score of 8 points.

You start out racking 3 ball (rotation, ball in hand after break) If you run them you do 4 ball and so on and so forth

Each round is 1 point, a failed rack or ran rack a point.

If you were to do a perfect 8 points you would have never missed till you ran a rack of 10 ball. (3ball, 4ball, 5ball, 6ball...etc, etc.)

When you miss you go back 1 ball down, miss again go down again. Remember every turn is a point. You only can go back as far as the 3 balls again. So in theroy you could end up with 50 points if you are that determined to keep shooting and missing.

This is a rough draft I thought of last night with about 5 Coronas aiding in my decision.

Let me know what you think. It would be cool to get people to try this and see how many AZer's can knock out 8 points right away. And it would also be cool to see peolple post videos of them trying it too.

TJ

av84fun

Banned
I like it although the standard Ghost Ball match has an edge...IMHO...since the first two innings of your drill...3-4...are pretty much a given for reasonably strong players.

In the Ghost, you are faced with 7-9 blockers which is a whole different ball game.

In addition, your drill, like the Ghost, lacks the CRITICAL element of safeties and escapes.

I'm working up a version of Ghost that permits safeties. I'm still tinkering but basically, if you call a safety (no slop) and leave the Ghost with at least a 2 rail kick, then you get BIH and continue the run.

I'm also messing around with allowing any hook...but if less than 2 rails, you shoot the Ghost's shot and if you escape, you have to play from where the balls end up. That allows for an intentionally poor escape shot but you would only be cheating yourself.

Regards,
Jim

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You've re-invented one of the most common practice routines. It's called "progressive rotation", and is good because it keeps score for you, which is a strong incentive. The usual way of keeping score is to just keep on playing, adding or subtracting a ball after every success or failure. You'll hover around the number of balls you can consistently run out. I think the usual scoring method has the advantage of pushing you to improve your average rather than your occasional best.

pj
chgo

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
av84fun said:
I like it although the standard Ghost Ball match has an edge...IMHO...since the first two innings of your drill...3-4...are pretty much a given for reasonably strong players.

In the Ghost, you are faced with 7-9 blockers which is a whole different ball game.

In addition, your drill, like the Ghost, lacks the CRITICAL element of safeties and escapes.

I'm working up a version of Ghost that permits safeties. I'm still tinkering but basically, if you call a safety (no slop) and leave the Ghost with at least a 2 rail kick, then you get BIH and continue the run.

I'm also messing around with allowing any hook...but if less than 2 rails, you shoot the Ghost's shot and if you escape, you have to play from where the balls end up. That allows for an intentionally poor escape shot but you would only be cheating yourself.

Regards,
Jim

That is always been the reason i have trouble with these types of drills. There isn't any safety play I use safety play as much as I would a shot making play. It's all in the percentages. But that is why they are "These type of drills" Shot making is the key and only key.

I'd like to see you variation of the ghost drill. Please post when you work out the kinks.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow I musta been drunker then I thought, This isn't getting the hype I thought it would.

av84fun

Banned
tjlmbklr said:
That is always been the reason i have trouble with these types of drills. There isn't any safety play I use safety play as much as I would a shot making play. It's all in the percentages. But that is why they are "These type of drills" Shot making is the key and only key.

I'd like to see you variation of the ghost drill. Please post when you work out the kinks.

I've decided not to allow shooting the Ghost's shot. The Ghost is perfect...never misses...so if he escaped, he would leave you hooked back.

So, I am going the leave the game the way I originally posted it.

Here ya go.

Ghost Plus

Playing the Ghost has come up recently so I thought I'd offer a suggestion on a different way to play the Ghost.

My problem with using the traditional method in practice is that it is 100% offensive and therefore, ignores a very significant aspect of the game....safety play. So, I modified the game as follows:

1. Break the rack and remove any ball(s) as necessary to play the Ghost number you choose.

2. Play as normal EXCEPT you have the option to play a safety. If you achieve a hook, then you get ball in hand and continue. You get only 1 safety opportunity per rack. If you don't run out after the safety the Ghost wins.

3. Advanced Version. In order to get BIH, you must force a jump or at least a 2 rail kick. If you fail to do so, the Ghost wins that rack.

PS:
Some have commented that they would rather practice safeties separately and I agree with that. Ghost Plus is not a "drill." Rather, it is a practice "game" but one that allows both offense and defense and therefore, more closely measures the player's overall skill.