Competative high run

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just reading the August Billiards Digest. A lot of writing about John Schmidt's run of 626 as well other great 14.1 players. Page 51 has a picture 3 of a player name Joe Procita. The caption says he still holds the competitive high run of 182,
Am I misunderstanding this. I thought Darren Appleton's run in 2013 of 200 balls was the high competitive run. World straight pool tournament. Steinway billiards. Against Bustamonte

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I hear competition I think in a traditional match. Two players with regulation break to start. The high run competition at some tournaments are a completely different thing. That is why Schmidt's run is not considered competition.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just reading the August Billiards Digest. A lot of writing about John Schmidt's run of 626 as well other great 14.1 players. Page 51 has a picture 3 of a player name Joe Procita. The caption says he still holds the competitive high run of 182,

So Joe was 32 in-the-hole and then ran out? Quite a comeback.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an afterthought, I wonder if the next time John enters a 14.1 tournament, mightn’t he be tempted to intentionally take several 3-foul penalties, since with his proven run potential he could easily beat Joe’s competition record, and put yet another feather in his cap?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was prociettas 182 in a world championship tournament?

If so, maybe that is why the powers that be are not counting Appleton’s 200? I don’t believe it was WPA sanctioned the year he did it.

Or I’m reading to much into this and the author was simply unaware of Appleton’s run?

Weightlifting is another sport I follow, and you can only set national records in national events (not local) and only set world records in international events (not national). Of course, they are very well organized, unlike pool.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Or I’m reading to much into this and the author was simply unaware of Appleton’s run? ...

It certainly seems like a surprising oversight by Shamos. But Procita's 182 was on a 10-footer, so perhaps if we just add "on a 10-foot table" to the picture's caption, all is well. :smile:

[The article says Procita's run was in a non-title match against Mosconi in 1955.]

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appleton ran 200 and out vs Bustamante a few years ago in the semifinals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The highest runs in competition are certainly at the DCC 14.1 Challenge.

To my knowledge, the highest competitive run at Derby City was when SVB ran 125 and out against Chris Melling earlier this year.

The highest qualifying run ever was Josh Filler's 285, but after qualifying as the #1 seed, Niels Feijen, the #8 seed, beat him in the quarterfinals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It certainly seems like a surprising oversight by Shamos. But Procita's 182 was on a 10-footer, so perhaps if we just add "on a 10-foot table" to the picture's caption, all is well. :smile:

[The article says Procita's run was in a non-title match against Mosconi in 1955.]

Yup, Appleton's run of 200 and out vs Francisco Bustamante is the competitive record on a 9-footer, witnessed by a couple of hundred people, myself included.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, Appleton's run of 200 and out vs Francisco Bustamante is the competitive record on a 9-footer, witnessed by a couple of hundred people, myself included.

Funny thing was in the finals Appleton and Immonen both missed balls in the same rack. Bustamante joked "why didn't he do that when he played me".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Funny thing was in the finals Appleton and Immonen both missed balls in the same rack. Bustamante joked "why didn't he do that when he played me".

Darren's 200 and out came in the semis vs Bustamante, but he lost the final to Hohmann, not Immonen.

FYI, Immonen's only title in the Dragon 14.1 event was won when he beat Earl Strickland in the final, the day after the Shaw/Strickland controversy.