Shafted/US Amateur qualifier

normlook

Registered
I hope this thread doesnt sound like sour grapes but I would like AZ'ers opinions. I recently played in a qualifier for the us amateur in Richmond, Va. The event was schuduled for 2 days. Upon arrival, the tournament director decided that she wanted the event over in one day. I said to myself this is not good but took it in stride. Well, I lost my very first match and was then in the loser bracket. I had to play match after match after match without any significient break, not even a dinner break. Well, I fought my way back to the last five players. My last and most important match did not begin until 1030pm. The top four players qualified for the finals in atlanta. Well, needless to say at the beginning of my last match I was totally exhausted and could not see anything clearly. I naturally, lost.
I would like to hear some opinions. Is my reaction wrong ???

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
Your reaction is not wrong if the tournament was scheduled for 2 days, that is the format you expected as advertised. We all know how grueling the 1 day events are with lots of players, the tournament should have went as advertised unless it was advertised "2 days with such and such amount players" "1 day with such and such amount players".

levid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you that they should advertise the event differently if they decide to change the schedule mid-tournament. Each match takes a lot of concentration and it almost feels like running a marathon after so many matches in a row. This same thing happened to me last year after losing early and by the time I fought my way back to the quarter-finals I just ran out of gas. I appreciate the tournament directors willingness to work hard and finish the tournament early but it's really hard on a lot of players... Especially when it is advertised as a two day event.

This year I half expected the tournament to last one day and performed a lot better with that expectation when I found out I was right. I made it to the semi-finals and lost on the hill but I felt a lot better knowing what I was in for after last year and played well. I still think they should at least advertise it differently so people can prepare accordingly, especially since it only takes place once a year.

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
normlook said:
I hope this thread doesnt sound like sour grapes but I would like AZ'ers opinions. I recently played in a qualifier for the us amateur in Richmond, Va. The event was schuduled for 2 days. Upon arrival, the tournament director decided that she wanted the event over in one day. I said to myself this is not good but took it in stride. Well, I lost my very first match and was then in the loser bracket. I had to play match after match after match without any significient break, not even a dinner break. Well, I fought my way back to the last five players. My last and most important match did not begin until 1030pm. The top four players qualified for the finals in atlanta. Well, needless to say at the beginning of my last match I was totally exhausted and could not see anything clearly. I naturally, lost.

It sucks but everyone else had to do the same thing. Sounds like what happened at our event also. It was scheduled for 2 days but she wanted it done in one day and it was a really late night for everyone. normlook where did you play?

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think APA nationals always has problems with the local tournament directors making their own decisions about things that were advertised differently by APA. 2 years ago at my qualifier the players were complaining about waiting around so long between matches so he allowed some matches to take place on the 8foot tables if both players in the match agreed to it. I was the only girl in the tournament that would not play on the 8fts instead of the 9fts and lots of the other players got annoyed by that. When one of my opponents was mad about it and refused to play on a 9ft our TD called APA nationals to settle it and he got in trouble for running ANY of the matches on the 8ft tables when it was supposed to be all on 9fts.

Bigdogbret

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
normlook said:

The same thing happened in Salem, Oregon. Two day tournament crammed into one day because the TD did not want to come back on Sunday.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
It is bad if the announced format was changed at the last minute, but there is not much you can do about it at the time. You can try complaining to the APA so they don't use this location next year.

However in general any double-elimination format is harder on someone who enters the loser bracket early on, especially towards the end when the winner side finalist will usually get a break to wait for their opponents to be determined on the losers side. That's just the nature of the format. Still it's better than Single-Elimination and not as long and gruelling as a full Round-Robin format. (Although Round-Robin is arguably fairer.)

Last edited:

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Sweet Marissa said:
It sucks, but everyone else had to play under the same conditions. I hate to hear that TDs do that. LAZY!
Yeah but it's not about pool anymore.
It's about who has the best stamina to outlast the guys who might normally butcher them.

I always hated this aspect of 1 day events.

My advice.
If it is found out that the TD changed things to make extra profit by cutting out the extra day.

Kill them!:D

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at my qualified in Shreveport, the tournament director's idea of a "blind draw" was putting the players in alphabetical order LOL.

I suppose it's still fairly random, but alphabetical seedings and a blind draw are simple not the same.

CamposCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tourney

That stinks. I'd be mad too. I can kind of feel your pain. It was like that, but always is at Midwest. The singles is one day. I didn't get done shooting till midnight, with no break for food or anything. It was one after another starting at 10am. Beer + no food = drunk Chris:wink:

The other thing that sucked was the luck of the draw. They didn't draw at all. I don't know how the hell they did it, but there was no draw. My team was all in the same bracket and had to play each other in the singles the very first match, we basically just knocked each other into the losers bracket right off the bat. I didn't sign up to play singles just to play my teammates all in a row. Oh well.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
CamposCues said:
That stinks. I'd be mad too. I can kind of feel your pain. It was like that, but always is at Midwest. The singles is one day. I didn't get done shooting till midnight, with no break for food or anything. It was one after another starting at 10am. Beer + no food = drunk Chris:wink:

A-Freaking-MEN brother. Been there, done that, will still do that if given the opportunity. :thumbup:

Chucklez65

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
If a TD makes a decision to run a tourney over one day instead of two, it affects a lot more more than the players stamina.

Most tourneys have added money to them. If its a room, then they want people to show up and watch and have the opportunity to spend some money to help make up for the cost of adding money, and if it is changed to one day, not only does the room not get people back the next day to watch the final matches...but they also lose people watching the final matches on the first day. Only diehard fans will stay that late to watch the finals. My belief is that it will be hard to get money from that room again.

If its advertisers..the same is true...they add money to get people to see or hear about their product. Again, no one there the second day to hear about it and less people there to watch the finals cause its so late.

LOSE LOSE situation, for players and entities that add money. The only one that wins is the TD cause he/she doesnt have to come back, but in the long run he/she loses also cause they get a rep for not running tourneys as advertised, and who would add money or as much money if they think they are adding money to bring people for two days and it turns out to be one.

JMHO

JMHO

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
Happened to me before, and it probably was a lot easier for the players on the winner's side. I usually grab a few bites mid-match. At the very least a candy bar or something to keep focused.