surprising good news I wouldn't have thought.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Like a few people I have been of the impression that pool is fading away and the youth of today have little interest in the game. Fewer and fewer of our youth in the USA seem to have any involvement. Well that's been my opinion with little real knowledge on stats etc.

So I was approached by a troop leader of the Boy Scouts of America and although I don't have all the details basically he said that his troop was given the opportunity to learn a new sport and asked to decide what it would be. Overwhelmingly they all wanted to learn how to play pool. So he asked if I could set something up for them to have a few hours of tuition. So maybe pool is not as obscure and out of the minds of the youth as I thought. These are probably real beginners so I can probably help them out with basics, also Scott Frost does not know this yet but I am going to get him involved too as he is here in Arizona and he has been doing a lot of things with the kids these days.

Just wanted to let you all know and who knows maybe there is something there for the Boy Scouts of America on a larger scale to get these kids involved. Oh an yeah I will be hitting up some of you for sponsorship in the way of starter cues to give the kids. Anyone else see this as an untapped intro to pool for the juniors or am I reading too much into it? Maybe they get a merit badge for billiards :)

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Interesting. Any idea what their other choices were?

No, I am not sure they had choices it was something that they were to just choose themselves from what I can gather.
It's not like I really know the troop leader either, never spoke about pool with him but he knows I am or have been involved.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
That is some good news...thanks for the post. Hmmm, if this reaches merit badge status...:D

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Scott is a great choice, you're doing the kids a disservice if you don't involve Jerry Briesath. He's one of the top instructors in the world, and has been working with kids for many decades. He also lives in Phoenix in the winter.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Like a few people I have been of the impression that pool is fading away and the youth of today have little interest in the game. Fewer and fewer of our youth in the USA seem to have any involvement. Well that's been my opinion with little real knowledge on stats etc.

So I was approached by a troop leader of the Boy Scouts of America and although I don't have all the details basically he said that his troop was given the opportunity to learn a new sport and asked to decide what it would be. Overwhelmingly they all wanted to learn how to play pool. So he asked if I could set something up for them to have a few hours of tuition. So maybe pool is not as obscure and out of the minds of the youth as I thought. These are probably real beginners so I can probably help them out with basics, also Scott Frost does not know this yet but I am going to get him involved too as he is here in Arizona and he has been doing a lot of things with the kids these days.

Just wanted to let you all know and who knows maybe there is something there for the Boy Scouts of America on a larger scale to get these kids involved. Oh an yeah I will be hitting up some of you for sponsorship in the way of starter cues to give the kids. Anyone else see this as an untapped intro to pool for the juniors or am I reading too much into it? Maybe they get a merit badge for billiards :)

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
While Scott is a great choice, you're doing the kids a disservice if you don't involve Jerry Briesath. He's one of the top instructors in the world, and has been working with kids for many decades. He also lives in Phoenix in the winter.

Scott Lee

Scott, I don't know Jerry believe it or not and so it never occurred to even think about him to ask him to work for free. As things progress I will for sure keep it in mind and see where he is in AZ etc. I know Roger Long lives here and attends events at Bullshooters. If I remember right he is also an instructor. Its amazing send me to another state and I know more people than I do in my own town lol. Thanks for the advice Scott.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool Mark, hope everyone has fun doing this. Maybe they can get a league started somewhere after this to continue playing.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Mark, do you have a hall that allows kids through the doors?
I have a cue I can send when this gets going.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great news, if it sparks interest in one or two that is a start. You never know where it will go! I never would have thought a custodian in a Jr High could have gotten a billiards program in school, but I did. I would still be at it if my back would have held out..
Let me know if I can help Mark. :thumbup:
Mark

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

AGREED 100%. I've taken lessons from Scott, Randy G and Mark Wilson. Jerry Briesath would be my very next choice for lessons... His video A Pool Lesson is one of the best available..

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's true! A Pool Lesson with Jerry Briesath is a must have for any player. Great 3-disc set loaded with tons of information. Mark Wilson is the demonstrator. For anyone interested, I have Jerry's dvd set for sale for less than anyone else out there. PM me if you want one.

Scott Lee

AGREED 100%. I've taken lessons from Scott, Randy G and Mark Wilson. Jerry Briesath would be my very next choice for lessons... His video A Pool Lesson is one of the best available..