who would you use to sell your cues ??

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As someone in the midst of selling a HUGE collection. It is an undertaking for anyone. You cannot price it "fairly" because even when you do, its not fair enough and you're going to see the meaning of the word low ball. You will never here the words "I'll take it" at any price you list. If you list your Searing for $900, you'll get offered 6, this you can take to the bank.

You will be cherry picked and left with the marginal to hard to move items. The person I am working with was "cherry picked" out of some very key cues. I am a patient man, and I enjoy buying and selling. Some people that sell, when they find out the real way people get stupid and want to nit pick your weight off by .02 ounces, or they see some mysterious blemish that they must have looked at the cue through the Hubble. That is when they see selling, its not so easy.

Good luck.. any way you go...

JV

Joe knows cues. I would think he would be a good one to sell the cues for you if he does that sort of thing.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
people should use pictures ,good pictures and complete instructions

I don't foollow that rule because I am a professional salesman

I use ads to make the phone ring

I then qualify my prospects

Its not talking them into something that I do

Its finding out if i have anything they would like

Also by requiring people to call I cull out the ones who are tire kickers or picture watchers only

so by the time my phone rings I usually sell something

If you are not comfortable with this interaction,then put your info out there so they either want it or not

And when or if they ask routine questions like will you take less
You can confidently say,no I won't and I'll tell you why.

This cue is ;already priced right,all you need to do is pay for it and you already have a bargain priced cue

of course if you are high,good by sale

The trouble with dealers that I have found is this,a very able customer calls on your cue with the cash,but he can make more by selling his own so the dealer directs your customer to his product

And he is getting 20% for what,now he tells you that you are too high
They also have the ability to take trades and this usually means two sets of books

Not all dealers are like this ,but some of the better named ones I have used
are.

Now Kicken chicken has been very honest with me in dealings as have others,I don't really know is they take consignments.If they do,you might try them

This coming from a person that doesn’t post pics. Weird place the AZ Billiards.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of that makes sense and I wish it were that easy for normal people.
Dean, you can pull it off because you are far from normal, and I highly doubt you get the stupid questions like "what is the balance point."

I like the part about the "picture watchers."
My problem is the question asking fools who have no intention of buying anything even if they make a deal.
There are a handful of guys who go around asking the same questions over and over, even negotiate deals before they disappear
I've seen similar behavior since my first days on AZ back in 2006, but with social media a new wave of these guys are coming at me from all over the world.
There must be something I do to attract them because I let it go for a while before I cut it off completely.
The sure sign that you have one of these flakes on your hands is the balance point question.
In 12 straight years of doing this stuff, quite a bit in the last 6 years, I have never sold a cue to a guy who asked what the balance point is.
I don't and won't respond to the balance point question, which is a cop-out question.
No serious buyer has ever asked me about the balance point.

I really wish I could do things they way you do, and others who have tried it have failed miserably, because it only works for you.
Without someone actually holding a cue how do you relate its balance? "Well its a tad butt-heavy?" Doesn't knowing the BP give you an idea if its front or back heavy? Why is it a "cop out" question? BTW, i rarely buy cues without holding them first just for this reason. I don't see how asking it makes a buyer any less viable. Buying a cue without seeing, imo, is insane. I don't give a rat's-a^* who the seller is.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
As someone in the midst of selling a HUGE collection. It is an undertaking for anyone. You cannot price it "fairly" because even when you do, its not fair enough and you're going to see the meaning of the word low ball. You will never here the words "I'll take it" at any price you list. If you list your Searing for $900, you'll get offered 6, this you can take to the bank.

I'll go $1000 on it, let me know

asiasdad

Banned
It isn't hard to sell them yourself, unless you are just looking to give away money to some resellers. I would rather price them right or slightly below market and pass along a good deal.

If you price them fairly, they move pretty quickly.

What I see too often is overpriced cues and folks complaining that the market is terrible.

(Cues, houses, cars, guns, etc.) If priced fairly, they will move pretty quickly.

JMO,

Ken

+++ what Ken said

also if you're liquidating, don't take trades
or the liquidation process will take much longer.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Without someone actually holding a cue how do you relate its balance? "Well its a tad butt-heavy?" Doesn't knowing the BP give you an idea if its front or back heavy? Why is it a "cop out" question? BTW, i rarely buy cues without holding them first just for this reason. I don't see how asking it makes a buyer any less viable. Buying a cue without seeing, imo, is insane. I don't give a rat's-a^* who the seller is.

It should be a legitimate question but it isn't.
I've sold hundreds of cues, online and locally, and friends have sold dozens of cues for me locally.
Nobody who has ever bought a cue from me has asked the question, and nobody
who has ever asked the question has bought a cue.
When the question comes up the balance of the cue could be perfect in every way,
but it never seems to matter, and I have never seen anybody measure the balance point before they buy a cue.
Some cues that happen to be a little butt heavy play really good, and I get guys
messaging me for months after getting one of my cues telling me how much they like the cue and how it has changed there game.

From the specifications it's going to tell you if the cue is butt heavy, but a number that is a coefficient to nothing will not.
I can't imagine an inch or less one way or the other being a deal killer, and with serious buyers it isn't and never has been.
Players with big strokes looking for front weighted cues typically don't buy cues on
the secondary market unless they know that particular cuemaker and how he does things.
Some of these LD shaft companies are making them lighter and lighter, what does that do to the balance point.
I love selling cues and it takes a lot to get me to stop responding to someone.
In fact, nobody has ever responded when I have answered the balance point
question, so obviously it was just another question these bully types ask to see how far they can push.
I have a lot of experience with it, and the only thing that has changed is I know when it's coming.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
After my unofficial retirement in 2012, I spent the next 4 years selling all but 6 of my
150+ cue collection, along wih dozens of cases I no longer needed, and I had zero
issues or problems doing it.
As I went along I bought, ordered, and traded for cues, and have an accumulation of
different cues and will be doing it all over again.

Last year was my first year on Facebook and I've had over 400 of the lamest trade
offers you could imagine.
I've also encountered more than my share of bullying, flakes, and lowballers, but I'm
ready to do it all over again.
My local market has actually become healthier so that will be fun to get more involved in.

My biggest problem is picking one cue to play with because I'm at the point where it is affecting my game.

Good luck, you can do it yourself

Thanks for the nice JW cues you sold to me. I love Billy's cues! Some of the best playing cues ever made. My collection is rather small compared to yours, but somehow I've accumulated around fifty cues. Most of them are not "expensive" cues in the thousands of dollars, but are cues that I like for their playability. The majority of my cues would be in the 500-1,000 price range, but I do have several Gina's, Tad's and JW's that are more valuable. Like you, for every cue I sell I seem to acquire two more. :rolleyes:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Thanks for the nice JW cues you sold to me. I love Billy's cues! Some of the best playing cues ever made. My collection is rather small compared to yours, but somehow I've accumulated around fifty cues. Most of them are not "expensive" cues in the thousands of dollars, but are cues that I like for their playability. The majority of my cues would be in the 500-1,000 price range, but I do have several Gina's, Tad's and JW's that are more valuable. Like you, for every cue I sell I seem to acquire two more. :rolleyes:

I can't seem to keep more than 4 or 5 at a time because I keep giving mine away. Because I'm stupid like that.

:thud: :yeah: :thud:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One option is pm or email a description and picture of all the cues and an asking price for the lot. Maybe one dealer will take them all to flip and cut down on all your hassle. Shoot me the above information if you have it.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He might be polar ice but he still doesn’t post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I would never buy anything sight unseen...however Deanoc has great reputation for how he does things. As for buying from him without seeing could be fun and interesting...and if I wanted something I would buy from him.

i have a bunch of cues i want to sell
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
some ivory joints and /or inlays
ie no szambotis or bushkas
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok

If you have a good idea about the current market value on your cues, and you have a good quality weight scale, digital caliper, and a decent quality digital camera, then you could sell the cues yourself.

Billiard Bill's is a very nice, and honest seller though, that would probably do a great job at selling your cues for you, at a fair price to the buyers out there.

https://www.billiardbills.com/

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you have a good idea about the current market value on your cues, and you have a good quality weight scale, digital caliper, and a decent quality digital camera, then you could sell the cues yourself.

Billiard Bill's is a very nice, and honest seller though, that would probably do a great job at selling your cues for you, at a fair price to the buyers out there.

https://www.billiardbills.com/

Justin, welcome back.