Who is the most underrated cue maker on your opinion?

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Bob Danielson gets my vote , his cues play like a dream especially when you're into LD technologie .
He upgraded his SS360 shaft with even less deflection but with the same feel and feedback than the regular SS360 .

His SS360 shaft ( 1st or 2nd gen ) in combination with his 6 pie laminated butts are a killer combination .

Here in Belgium the're now about 10 people playing with a BD cue and all of them are now playing on a higher level then before .

Hands down the most underrated cuemaker .

Christoph

Yea I'm gonna have too go with u on this one bob makes a great cue and is a really good guy

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Dennis Searing. Yes, Mr. Searing. I was fortunate enough to have spent
a few hours with him last week.
After seeing his work, it convinced there can't be a better maker
EVER.
if you don't make cues, you probably will never understand the level
of his work.
I can go on and on, but I might offend makers in the hall of fame.

I couldn't agree more.I was at his shop for a couple hours last Saturday for some minor service.His work is deep.If Dennis ever wanted to stop building cues,he could have a career as a fine custom jeweler.No one does inlay work like Dennis.
Marc

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robertson cues

Curtis Robertson, Abilene TX makes some pretty impressive cues, he's a perfectionist! He shows his cues at the SBE. one Hall of Fame cue maker is impressed by his work. The Cue he made for a mutual friend that is a retired fire fighter is very impressive piece of art that get used regularly.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Bryan Mordt is a great cue maker and I am shocked that his cues are not priced higher. Joel Dadivas out of PI makes some great playing cues and lots of work in them for the money too.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Johnson of Jensen cues. He's been around for along time does great work and makes a great playing cue. But his cues on resale don't bring what they should, but I think his time is coming

I disagree. Mike had his time. Don't get me wrong, his cues play great, but IMO they are overpriced from Mike directly. That's why resale isn't that great. You want big bucks, you have to build big cues! I've had one bad experience with Mike and I was done. Sad, too, because he's a local guy.

Speaking of local guys, Kelly Peterson of MVP Cues is building my new player and he has been a pleasure to work with thus far. He's provided progress pics along the way and has never failed to answer a question.

There are plenty of makers that got the fire started, but never kept it going. Mike Erwin comes to mind. Mike and Scott both have built great playing cues, but they just don't bring the money like they used to. If Scott stepped out of his zone and started making some big cues, they might sell big, but that's a big gamble too.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have two or three guys in my head that are underrated.

Bryan Mordt
Kent Davis

scottyjoe145

scottyjoe145
Silver Member
Jim Pierce makes the best player cues I've ever picked up. His cues do not command the $$ they are worth in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jensen

Dave M I have had Mike do so work took little while but got done right an he always answered the phone for me. I mean he refinished, changed the weight in the cue, cleaned the wrap, an put a new soild ivory joint on the cue. O he also cleaned the shaft and mail the cue back to me all for 350.00 dollars most cue makers won't do all this for near that price. An also Mikes time has never really came his cues have never brought what they should. Also his cues are not over priced

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave M I have had Mike do so work took little while but got done right an he always answered the phone for me. I mean he refinished, changed the weight in the cue, cleaned the wrap, an put a new soild ivory joint on the cue. O he also cleaned the shaft and mail the cue back to me all for 350.00 dollars most cue makers won't do all this for near that price. An also Mikes time has never really came his cues have never brought what they should. Also his cues are not over priced

Your telling this to a guy (me) who has been to Mike's shop, dealt with him personally, had bad work done in front of me, and was rude (although it was nice of him to let me in his home and shop).

Mention Mike Johnson's name in any pool hall around New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or the North Shore and you are bound to hear a few chuckles and stories.

And yes.. they ARE overpriced. He quoted me $750 for a birdseye maple plain jane.

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Ryan Theewen (RAT Cues).

The man builds an exceptional player that will match/beat ANY cue at 5x the price.

RackOnTour

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KD Cues

I have two or three guys in my head that are underrated.

Bryan Mordt
Kent Davis

Kent Davis is certainly in the mix. You would be hard pressed to find somebody who didn't like the hit if they were lucky enough to play with one.
True gentleman too.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cory Barnhart, great looking, playing and priced cues. Build and finish work is 2nd. to none, great person also. Brian.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Dunkel from New Jersey. Nobody's heard of him that I've met down south, but everybody is always asking who made mine. Rafael Martinez thinks it hits like beast. So do I.

Dusrsan12

Registered
I actually almost bought a Steve Dunkel on here about a year ago. It was a sixty inch sneaky. Very nice looking work.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most under rated

I just got a Barry Moore that I can't put down! The cue hits solid, moves the ball really well, and it draws the ball effortlessly. I am amazed. Truly underrated.