Solo 8 ball practice game

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had issues trying to get motivated to practice for an 8 ball competition I have approaching in November

So I came up with a game that holds my attention while practicing 8 ball and has been actually pretty fun.

So you start out with a normal rack and break. Then your job is to pick either stripes or solids and run the rack (no ball in hand). If you get out, you spot the 8 and run out the other suit. If you get all the way out in 1 inning, it is 1 point. If you dont get out the entire suit, you switch suits and try to get out, switching suits each time you miss until you get out, spot the 8 and run the other suit. Your score is the innings it takes to get out on both stripes and solids. goal being the lowest score possible.

I played three sets to ten yesterday with a low score of 19...high score of 27 ish...the break really matters...position play really matters, but safeties, not so much.

I was toying with the idea of the 1 inning games not counting as a point, but a negative point, which would have an effect like getting a birdie in golf.

Just thought some of you might enjoy this. Let me know what you think. Any other awesome 8 ball solo practice games that are fun and keep you mentally engaged??? I am always looking for ways to practice better yet still have fun.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have had issues trying to get motivated to practice for an 8 ball competition I have approaching in November

So I came up with a game that holds my attention while practicing 8 ball and has been actually pretty fun.

So you start out with a normal rack and break. Then your job is to pick either stripes or solids and run the rack (no ball in hand). If you get out, you spot the 8 and run out the other suit. If you get all the way out in 1 inning, it is 1 point. If you dont get out the entire suit, you switch suits and try to get out, switching suits each time you miss until you get out, spot the 8 and run the other suit. Your score is the innings it takes to get out on both stripes and solids. goal being the lowest score possible.

I played three sets to ten yesterday with a low score of 19...high score of 27 ish...the break really matters...position play really matters, but safeties, not so much.

I was toying with the idea of the 1 inning games not counting as a point, but a negative point, which would have an effect like getting a birdie in golf.

Just thought some of you might enjoy this. Let me know what you think. Any other awesome 8 ball solo practice games that are fun and keep you mentally engaged??? I am always looking for ways to practice better yet still have fun.

I don't do this by points, but usually when playing 8 ball alone and I run out one side, I shoot the other side in order like 9 ball. This makes you play position off the 8 for another ball also, which is a trick many players suggest doing to keep from missing the 8 ball as much or from scratching, you play position for some other ball off the 8, or 9 if it's 9 ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I like that as a practice. The scoring will help you bear down.

I've previously recommended "progressive ghost" at eight ball where you remove some number of balls after the break and try to run out, adjusting the number removed depending on success/failure. For beginners I think your game has that advantage that the player has to deal with clusters in the early part of the rack and then will have a potential run out at the end.

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
I like that game as well and I'm not much of an 8-ball fan.

With regard to the scoring, what about 0 as a score for a runout instead of a negative number?

Just thinking out loud.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like that game as well and I'm not much of an 8-ball fan.

With regard to the scoring, what about 0 as a score for a runout instead of a negative number?

Just thinking out loud.
So that would just be the number of misses in the rack.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
However you put pressure on yourself is key. That usually means tracking the practice somehow.

You have to put the pressure on though. Imo, that's why playing someone better is such a great opportunity to improvement. You put yourself under much more critical standards and focus so much better.

How many times have you played a weaker player at just above their speed? For me, too many times. When it's just practice, nothing on the line.

However a player can make practice demanding of themselves and hold the interest is critical.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mkindsv, Howdy;

I'll have to try that next week. I'm just back from today's session (free tables today), may
give it a shot tomorrow before the tourney.

hank

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However you put pressure on yourself is key. That usually means tracking the practice somehow.

You have to put the pressure on though. Imo, that's why playing someone better is such a great opportunity to improvement. You put yourself under much more critical standards and focus so much better.

How many times have you played a weaker player at just above their speed? For me, too many times. When it's just practice, nothing on the line.

However a player can make practice demanding of themselves and hold the interest is critical.

When practicing against a known weaker opponent, give them some weight and play for something, even if very cheap, so you still have to concentrate and bear down to win.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to an instructor, (very well known), and he did tell me to play in as many tournaments as I possibly could. No matter what the amount was, from $2.00 to $100, (as much as you could afford) and play for a cheap amount, as often as you can, and you'll see a definite improvement in a short period of time.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Your concept fits in with APA scoring. In APA, scoring if you broke and ran out before your opponent gets to the table, it could be considered a 0 inning or 1 inning game.

For those who are not capable of running, keeping track of innings is a good way to gauge progress and skill range. 5 game running average, which is the maximum number of games in APA (race of 5).

How about a raw and adjusted score? Your exercise only measure shooting and positioning, no safeties.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to an instructor, (very well known), and he did tell me to play in as many tournaments as I possibly could. No matter what the amount was, from $2.00 to $100, (as much as you could afford) and play for a cheap amount, as often as you can, and you'll see a definite improvement in a short period of time.

This.
AIso if you can find a person that plays 2 levels above you
on the ABCDEFG scale that will play really cheap sets
regularly, do that for a year or two until you can beat them.
Solo practice is only is a small part of the equation.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I practice 8 ball by playing what I call stripes vs solids... stripes always tries to get out at all costs.. solids plays safe and ducks until all his balls are free and then tries to run out... since starting this my safety game has substantially improved

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer Short Rack 8 Ball, and 7 solids, the 8 and 9 (9 is a "blocker Ball).

Ball in Hand...

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this idea!

I practice 8 ball by playing what I call stripes vs solids... stripes always tries to get out at all costs.. solids plays safe and ducks until all his balls are free and then tries to run out... since starting this my safety game has substantially improved

This sounds great! I have almost no safety skills and have been practicing solo 8 ball forever and never thought of this. Can't wait to try this tonight.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your concept fits in with APA scoring. In APA, scoring if you broke and ran out before your opponent gets to the table, it could be considered a 0 inning or 1 inning game.

For those who are not capable of running, keeping track of innings is a good way to gauge progress and skill range. 5 game running average, which is the maximum number of games in APA (race of 5).

How about a raw and adjusted score? Your exercise only measure shooting and positioning, no safeties.

I am with ya on the safeties thing. The whole reason for keeping a score is progressive inmprovement. Always working for a better score. Better practice makes better play. But the idea was to have something tangible to work against...obviously a 10 in a ten game set would be perfect, but I am just going to say not many are going to break and run whole racks ten in a row...so there will always be room for improvement. Thanks for your comment!

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This.
AIso if you can find a person that plays 2 levels above you
on the ABCDEFG scale that will play really cheap sets
regularly, do that for a year or two until you can beat them.
Solo practice is only is a small part of the equation.

I actually play a lot of better players, some pros, some just below that, both for money, in tournaments and occasionally in league. I am an all of the above approach kinda guy, always looking to improve and keep it fun. Thats what the original post was about

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice!!!! I won both my league matches last night against strong TAP 5's on locknup safety play...and a break and run at the end of the 8 ball set.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds complicated. May try it one of these days. But I only play when I drink so may lose count :D

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually play a lot of better players, some pros, some just below that, both for money, in tournaments and occasionally in league. I am an all of the above approach kinda guy, always looking to improve and keep it fun. Thats what the original post was about

Great to hear!

As far as practicing 8ball by myself the only game
I enjoy is to play the ghost w/o ball in hand.
I try, over long periods, to up my runout percentage.

If I practice this 3 days a week for 2hrs, I usually gain 3-8% after a couple months.

The higher the percentage gets the harder the gains become. Sometimes they go down even
though I'm doing my best.

I only add up the percentages once a month because
you need a quite a few games to see anything meaningful.

I have been stuck at 35-45% the last few years.
Not much table time these days.

Looking at atlarge's pro stats on the bar table
is humbling to say the least and just shows how high the
mountain of greatness can be.

For safety play I try to get a few 9/10 ball or
one pocket sets in regularly.

Last edited:

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Should subtract for safety unless a legal hit made, somehow keep safety play relevant