SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
05 for me

the people and places mentioned bring back a lot of mostly good memories

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't feel like an AZ old-schooler....joined in '09.
...started reading in '06 'cause I could get current tourney info long before
I got the magazines.

But I played at Ames a month before it closed....McGirrs also.
Watched New York Blackie break even with Eddie Kelly getting the 8 at
the Billiard Den in LA.
...hung around Jimmy Moore's room in Albuquerque when I was a kid.
...played at the Palace and Cochran's in Frisco.
...played at the Rack in Detroit when it was still known as the Rack and Cue.
...gambled at the Sportsmen's in Orlando before the owner got busted
for selling guns to Cuban mercenaries.
..played at Sports Palace in New Orleans when Flyboy was high-rollin'.
..messed with Mexican Johnny at Bensingers...in the basement.

WHADDIYA MEAN I DON'T BELONG IN THIS THREAD? :angry:

...well, could I at least get a cup of coffee before I leave? :crying:

black, no sugar

Those were the days my friend. :grin:
There were maybe a dozen great poolrooms in Manhattan back then (the 60's) and all within walking distance of one another. I played in all of them, my favorite being Guys and Dolls. Cochran's (the great billiard player Welker Cochran built the place) and even more so The Palace on Market St. were two of the best action rooms on the whole West Coast. Los Angeles had The Billiard Palace, which was full of top players every night and Five Points in El Monte, which was full of hard core hustlers 24 hours a day.

Every major city in the United States had at least one big poolroom where the hustlers hung out, and many smaller rooms scattered around the city. You could go to any town and get action. There was never anyplace like The Rack, a haven for gangsters, gamblers and outlaws. Many pool players got rich in there! I'm talking tens of thousands in the 60's and 70's, when it was serious money. I saw guys come in with shopping bags full of money and lose it all in one night, over a hundred grand!

I would guess there were several hundred pool hustlers working the country back then, maybe fifty of them really top players. I would often see the same guys in different poolrooms all over the place. Wherever there was good action, all the hustlers would flock to it. There must have been a hundred real good action rooms and thousands of good "spots," where a guy could make a score. Players would steer each other to these spots, and hopefully collect 10% of your winnings.

A guy like me could make a decent living playing dollar Eight Ball in bars alone. $50 a night was a good day's pay back then. I'm sure I played in over 1,000 bars in a ten year period, before opening my first poolroom. I had saved 15K by then, rarely playing for more than $20 a game (One Pocket) or $50 sets of 9-Ball. Seems like another lifetime now. :wink:

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Cardiac, I don't have lead poisoning, it was a lame attempt at humor. I learned decades ago about knocking action. Lead was an anti-knock additive. I have learned to just let people figure it out for themselves....hence no posts when there is bad info being bandied about. Most of my input would be considered knocking in my mind, and I try to keep myself from getting in the mud.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I jumped over from Billiards Digest as well. Had a different handle then--CharlieB.

Jay, I remember 5 Points and Tropicana Lanes as well. Didn't even play pool then. Was going to college during the day and running several crews of door to door salesmen at night. After the crews were dropped off all of the managers would meet at those places and have a couple of drinks while we watched these amazing guys playing pool and gambling. Later when I started playing I found out I had been watching Richie Florence and other well know players. Like a wild west show.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Cardiac, I don't have lead poisoning, it was a lame attempt at humor. I learned decades ago about knocking action. Lead was an anti-knock additive. I have learned to just let people figure it out for themselves....hence no posts when there is bad info being bandied about. Most of my input would be considered knocking in my mind, and I try to keep myself from getting in the mud.

My bad :sorry: :ignore: !

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
How do you find that out? LOL.... Looks like a bunch of us joined the same year/month.

Matt,

Run your cursor over your user name name in any of your posts. Down at the bottom of the page, an address will show up and near the end will be your member number for AZB. You must have joined a day or so before me. I'm jealous!!!

Lyn

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
Joined 7/7/04 for me,don't post too much any more,got tired of all the all the newbies asking whats the best tip,shaft,aiming method,ect.Miss the old days when there a lot of good poster's like Jay,Hemicudas and OHB.:frown:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I jumped over from Billiards Digest as well. Had a different handle then--CharlieB.

Jay, I remember 5 Points and Tropicana Lanes as well. Didn't even play pool then. Was going to college during the day and running several crews of door to door salesmen at night. After the crews were dropped off all of the managers would meet at those places and have a couple of drinks while we watched these amazing guys playing pool and gambling. Later when I started playing I found out I had been watching Richie Florence and other well know players. Like a wild west show.

First time I went into Tropicana Bowl I ran into Kenny Anderson and we played all day and night. I never could beat that guy but kept trying anyway :wink:. Kenny ran with Richie quite a bit and was a damn good shortstop. I spent most days at Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood. There was $$$ to be made in that place, with a lot of weak "actor" players who liked to put on a show.

P.S. for me there aren't really any so called "old school" guys on AZ. We are all equal until proven otherwise. I've been around pool for a long time but can still learn a trick or two from the younger guys. That's one of the things I love about this game. If I ever meet any of you in person I will show you a shot or two that will surely open your eyes. I've got some good ones for you! :rolleyes:

Last edited: