Chalk Shark

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
This is a magnetic chalk holder that attaches to your belt. There are others out there but this one is really high quality. The magnetic field is strong - get the chalk anywhere in the vicinity of the holder and it grabs. It uses earth magnets.

The holder is covered in leather front and back and the leather is very high quality. I told John (the guy who makes them) that I preferred a natural tan color for the leather, and he provided beautiful saddle skirting from Wicket & Craig, which is about the best leather there is.

The chalk fits in a molded holder that fits the chalk perfectly - Masters, Triangle, Blue Diamond, etc. - you know, the sensible ones :smile:. I have no idea if it can be made to fit Kamui and couldn't care less.

So if you like magnetic holders I think you'll love this one. Pricey but handcrafted and very nice.

http://chalkshark.com/Chalkshark/Welcome.html

jtrahan

I've had this hold for a year now and I can definitely say this is the best magnet holder out there. I've had different holders for years and so far this is my favorite one. It is pricey but it's worth every penny.

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received mine from John last month and wanted to give my review. I'd like to say that this is truly indeed a high quality product, the price point will definitely scare most people away and it's understandable. As of this post, this product retails for $45 USD.

Moving forward, I was communicating with John via email prior to my purchase and he's a very friendly guy and informative. When I first received the package, it was shipped in a small box with a zip lock bag containing the contents. The first thing I noticed was a sticky note, hand written by John himself thanking me for making my purchase. I don't know about what anyone else would think, but to me this holds a sentimental value to me when the owner himself personally hand writes his appreciation in support of his products. It's a small gesture but it comes a long way. It's something I'd definitely be keeping. Then the chalk holder itself, with a complimentary blue Master Chalk.

The product itself is exactly as described, the magnets that were used are two rare earth magnets and they are definitely the strongest magnets I've ever used. At first it took some getting used to because I used a $5 magnetic chalk holder prior and the magnetic holding power was no where near as strong. The chalk box is a snug fit for regular chalk and also fits Predator Chalk. It is made of non stretchable TPU but still very flexible. To adjust or remove the chalk, you'd have to push the magnet from the bottom upwards, a very good idea. The chalk box is that tight that you can not remove it by simply pinching the chalk and pulling the box. The belt clip holds the box extremely well, clips on to my belt/jeans with no issues and hold the chalk well through my pockets as well.

Overall I recommend this to a true billiard enthusiast. I do admit the that price should be lower but other than that, it's a true solid product.

Chalk Shark website: http://chalkshark.com/Welcome_to_Chalk_Shark.html

Video review by Brandon Gramse:
https://youtu.be/tufLFIzuUNQ

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439197937014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439197937014.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,507
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439197962679.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439197962679.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,560
Last edited:

ZeroSkylineX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Additional photos:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439198334683.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439198334683.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,489
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439198343971.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439198343971.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,568
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439198351626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439198351626.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,459
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439198359088.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439198359088.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,472
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439198367916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439198367916.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,475

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Kamui buy Chalk Shark?

http://www.kamuibrand.com/billiard-en/products/accessories

Now it's $50?

Any new (updated) reviews of this product?

If you are good with your hands and can be bothered, you can order the neodymium magnets in any size/shape and make your own holders. I did and made a batch of 10 at a total cost of 20 USD ( 2USD per holder) and shared some with my good friends who saw them and wanted one.

The designs I chose are similar to the Corley and the Kamui and work very well. Construction will require some fabric or leather cutting and sewing but not much more than that. They all work well - chalk never drops and it does the job as well if not better than the high-end holders. Plus, as you are choosing the magnets, you can adjust the attraction force to your liking. A couple of my favourite holders have approximately the same attractive force as the Corley where my chalk will get attracted/pulled if held within 7 inches of the magnet. Another 2 are even more powerful ( too powerful that I got a pinch injury once ) and the rest are more sensibly setup. With the thin magnets, you can stack them (in the holder and in the chalk) to increase pulling force.

If however, you don't have the time, then buying one off the shelf is fine but they are seriously over priced and you won't get great satisfaction using something you made yourself.